Possible future Division III conference alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible future Division III conference alignment

So we're still a couple of teams from making this framework a possibility but here's an idea of where we might be headed soon.

ECAC East
    Norwich
    UNE
    Castleton
    UMass-Boston
    NEC
    St. Michael’s
    Southern Maine
    Saint Anselm
    Holy Cross

ECAC Northeast
    Daniel Webster
    Nichols
    Salve Regina
    Plymouth State
    Johnson & Wales
    Franklin Pierce

ECAC West
    Stevenson
    Neumann
    Chatham
    Elmira
    William Smith
    Utica
    Manhattanville

SUNYAC
    Canton
    Buffalo State
    Plattsburgh
    Potsdam
    Oswego
    Cortland

As you can see, unless Saint Anselm and Saint Michael's drop down to Division III, the ECAC East would still need another D-III team in order to be eligible for the automatic bid.

The SUNYAC has six teams if Canton joins the SUNY, but they would also still need another team like a Brockport, Geneseo or Fredonia to jump up to varsity status.

The ECAC Northeast would still need two more teams for the automatic bid.

It's possible that three ECAC leagues could form right now with all of them having an autobid, even with the Holy Cross, Saint Michael's and Saint Anselm not counting, but it would take radical reform that probably isn't even on the radar currently.
    Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 02-28-2014, 07:10 AM.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: Possible future Division III conference alignment

OMG....SUNYAC is like a D4 conference!! Let's hope that doesnt happen any time soon!

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
      OMG....SUNYAC is like a D4 conference!! Let's hope that doesnt happen any time soon!

The ECAC Northeast would be below D5.

Comment

Too Many Autobids.

Comment

Missing Salem State and Franklin Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
            Missing Salem State and Franklin Pierce
            Good call on Franklin Pierce. Slide them into the ECAC northeast.

Unless I missed something where was it stated Salem state is adding varsity women's hockey?
            GO LAKERS!!!
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              Good call on Franklin Pierce. Slide them into the ECAC northeast.

Unless I missed something where was it stated Salem state is adding varsity women's hockey?
              You did miss something.

http://www.salemstatevikings.com/new...127142721.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                About time the Commonwealth of Massachusetts got its act in gear and finally added hockey at a second state school. Unfortunately, this means it will take another millennium until UMass gets a varsity team.

Also, St. A's is not moving to D1 to fill UConn's spot in the Atlantic, with the new administration saying they actually want to drop all sports into DIII.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                  About time the Commonwealth of Massachusetts got its act in gear and finally added hockey at a second state school. Unfortunately, this means it will take another millennium until UMass gets a varsity team.

Also, St. A's is not moving to D1 to fill UConn's spot in the Atlantic, with the new administration saying they actually want to drop all sports into DIII.
                  Correct which in my opinion would be great moves for both Saint Anselm and St. Michael's. I think they both have the opportunities to be SOLID Division III institutions in a multitude of sports.
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Add in Endicott for 2015-16 as another school adding D3 varsity women's hockey. They could slide into the ECAC Northeast or possibly the ECAC East depending on where their men's program ends up.

http://www.ecgulls.com/general/2013-.../hockeyvarsity
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Since Endicott will have their own rink and seem to like to have competitive athletic squads, I would think the men's team will slot into the ECAC-E. The simple(!) solution would be to slide Skidmore into the -W (autobid!) and replace them with Endicott. The new travel pairings could be:
                      USM - UNE
                      STA - END
                      UMB - BAB
                      NOR - CSC
                      STM - NEC
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Since Endicott will have their own rink and seem to like to have competitive athletic squads, I would think the men's team will slot into the ECAC-E. The simple(!) solution would be to slide Skidmore into the -W (autobid!) and replace them with Endicott. The new travel pairings could be:
                        USM - UNE
                        STA - END
                        UMB - BAB
                        NOR - CSC
                        STM - NEC
                        If only it was so easy...I've been told Skidmore has been asked to move to the ECAC West on the men's side and they have refused.
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Prez- need to add Morrisville to the SUNYAC- they posted their hire last month.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            If only it was so easy...I've been told Skidmore has been asked to move to the ECAC West on the men's side and they have refused.
                            Just to be clear- the ECAC doesn't "place" teams in the conferences. It would be Skidmores decision on where they want to go. Consequently- they wouldn't have "refused". I am sure they have been approached by several people within the West.

When new teams joint the ECAC they aren't placed in a league by the ECAC. Each new institution applies to the conference of their desire.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                              Just to be clear- the ECAC doesn't "place" teams in the conferences. It would be Skidmores decision on where they want to go. Consequently- they wouldn't have "refused". I am sure they have been approached by several people within the West.

When new teams joint the ECAC they aren't placed in a league by the ECAC. Each new institution applies to the conference of their desire.
                              I'm aware of this...I guess I didn't communicate that clearly in my post. The ECAC administration has no control really over the league members, they just provide a central governing body for the most part. It's up to the league institutions as you allude to on where they want to go.

When I say asked to move, I mean by West institutions and by "ECAC Administration" but since the ECAC administration can't force them to do anything, it doesn't hold any water.
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                              X