PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Frozen Four Info Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21

Fighting Sioux 23
04-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Given that Boston was on his list of cities specifically mentioned, I think that the "none within driving distance from Boston" refers to "other[citie]s I could not remember". Last I checked, Boston is within driving distance of Boston, unless you're in one of those "you can't get there from here" situations.:)

I'm not sure how LA would be driving distance from Boston, but others wouldn't. I think bbdl is right on this one.

mookie1995
04-21-2014, 05:37 PM
I'm not sure how LA would be driving distance from Boston, but others wouldn't. I think bbdl is right on this one.

mookie drove to philly.
and pitt
and buffalo
and DC
AND detroit

:D

(mookie is sometimes stoopid)

FiveHole12
04-21-2014, 06:06 PM
The results of the Boston lottery will be extremely interesting. If Boston falls short or just barely sells out, then we'll know there's been a significant long-term change in demand. But if the Boston lottery turns out something like it did in 2004, that paints a very different picture. Stay tuned!
Speaking of the Boston lottery, when do we sign up for Boston tickets, or have I missed it?

Siouxfaninseattle
04-21-2014, 07:07 PM
Speaking of the Boston lottery, when do we sign up for Boston tickets, or have I missed it?

I haven't seen anything that says it will be any different from this year - buy tickets based on your priority number starting in early November.

pgb-ohio
04-21-2014, 10:56 PM
I agree on Indy and most likely San Antonio although they have an AHL team. On Orlando I disagree for a couple reasons. The Amway Center is home to an ECHL team, obviously not impressive but there is a team playing there. The city is a huge tourist stop as they obviously have Disney World which would probably convince more people to take the flight. And the big one, what company does Disney own? ESPN. ESPN has some studios down there as well as the huge sports complex. If ESPN says to the NC$$ to have it in Orlando, it'll be in Orlando. I think the next round of bids, Orlando gets the nod because of that.You could be right; and I really wouldn't mind being wrong on Orlando.;)

But, if you know, tell us a little more about Amway Center. The fact the ECHL plays there doesn't prove things one way or the other. And keep in mind that we heard earlier in the thread that Bradley Center in Milwaukee (NBA Bucks) has been deemed to be below standards for hockey.

Since Ford Field, we've been at NHL Arenas, period. The "streak" will last through at least 2018, meaning 8 straight years. Throw out Ford Field as a total anomaly, and the streak goes to 11 years.

I've never heard that NHL affiliation was some sort of requirement, but there certainly seems to be a strong preference.

I haven't seen anything that says it will be any different from this year - buy tickets based on your priority number starting in early October.fyp.

Siouxfaninseattle
04-21-2014, 11:15 PM
You could be right; and I really wouldn't mind being wrong on Orlando.;)

But, if you know, tell us a little more about Amway Center. The fact the ECHL plays there doesn't prove things one way or the other. And keep in mind that we heard earlier in the thread that Bradley Center in Milwaukee (NBA Bucks) has been deemed to be below standards for hockey.

Since Ford Field, we've been at NHL Arenas, period. The "streak" will last through at least 2018, meaning 8 straight years. Throw out Ford Field as a total anomaly, and the streak goes to 11 years.

I've never heard that NHL affiliation was some sort of requirement, but there certainly seems to be a strong preference.

fyp.

Thanks for the correction. I ended up not buying through the lottery this year since it didn't seem likely that the team I cheer for was going to make the FF, and Mrs. sfis was not interested in going to Philly. I will go back to buying through the lottery next season as we want to go to Boston, and the next three FFs also.

hobeydog
04-22-2014, 06:47 AM
I'd like to see Carolina in the mix. The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area is beautiful at that time of year with plenty of opportunities for golf and other outdoor activities. Tailgating is fabulous in the south.

That said, I'm not aware that Raleigh has ever made a bid.

jen
04-22-2014, 07:36 AM
And the only thing I thought was dumb was the silliness over buying bottled water and their having to pour it in a cup. The first time I encountered that was in (I think) St. Paul, where they gave you the water and took the cap off, but this was the first time I've seen them not even letting you have the bottle.

yep, I ran into that too. The lady working said the NCAA did not want any Aquafina bottles to appear on TV by chance, since they're sponsored by Coke. That seems like overkill - but we're talking about the organization that had someone put stickers on every single seat cupholder in Buffalo to cover up the beer logos. Gotta please the sponsors.

Nick Papagiorgio
04-22-2014, 08:28 AM
Yea but how did everyone like the pizza!?

Crimson Faced
04-22-2014, 08:42 AM
How is New York City not drivable from Boston? It is like a 4 hour drive... :confused:

Bad Grammar! I didn't go to Harvard.

What I meant was that although I could not remember the names of the other three cities on the survey, none of them were within driving distance of Boston.

Which leads to the question, if I can't remember the names of the cities, how would I remember they were not within driving distance of Boston.

LTsatch
04-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Not known as a hockey hotbed, but Nashville would be a great place to hold the FF, great newer rink right in the middle of the downtown entertainment district. Just a heads up on Boston, expect to pay at least $250 to $400 a night for a decent hotel within walking distance of the rink. I highly recommend the Residence Inn by Marriott at Tudor Wharf.

Nick Papagiorgio
04-22-2014, 09:06 AM
Not known as a hockey hotbed, but Nashville would be a great place to hold the FF, great newer rink right in the middle of the downtown entertainment district.

I'd definitely like to check out Nashville.

mookie1995
04-22-2014, 09:12 AM
I'd definitely like to check out Nashville.

Nashville
Vegas
New Orleans

bigblue_dl
04-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Not known as a hockey hotbed, but Nashville would be a great place to hold the FF, great newer rink right in the middle of the downtown entertainment district. Just a heads up on Boston, expect to pay at least $250 to $400 a night for a decent hotel within walking distance of the rink. I highly recommend the Residence Inn by Marriott at Tudor Wharf.

Yep, Nashville would be sweet.

CLS
04-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Nashville was widely rumored to be considering submitting a bid but evidently didn't or didn't submit a bid worthy of being a finalist. Anybody know the story?

Nick Papagiorgio
04-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Nashville was widely rumored to be considering submitting a bid but evidently didn't or didn't submit a bid worthy of being a finalist. Anybody know the story?

They answered incorrectly on the multiple choice question: Will you make sure area restaurant staffers bow down and kiss someone's butt because they are wearing a college hockey jersey?

hobeydog
04-22-2014, 10:44 AM

Yes, Nashville would be terrific along with Raleigh, in my view, although I know nothing of the bidding history of either. Both have hosted the NHL draft.

Siouxfaninseattle
04-22-2014, 11:02 AM
Just a heads up on Boston, expect to pay at least $250 to $400 a night for a decent hotel within walking distance of the rink. I highly recommend the Residence Inn by Marriott at Tudor Wharf.

:eek: That is pricey! What options are there that won't cost an arm and a leg? Something on a subway line?

Nick Papagiorgio
04-22-2014, 11:15 AM
:eek: That is pricey! What options are there that won't cost an arm and a leg? Something on a subway line?

I would think so. The fact that the subway is so extensive in all directions should bring you a lot of options of hotels for reasonable prices outside of the downtown area. Cambridge on the red line, airport hotels, Quincy?

Nick Papagiorgio
04-22-2014, 11:25 AM

Hotels.com has a bunch available at $199 downtown. Everything downtown is walkable to the Garden really.

Some in Cambridge are $149 to $169 so that is likely accessible by Red Line.