Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Frozen Four Info Thread

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    Got yet another e-mail today from NCAA about more opportunities for ticket purchases. Not sure if the sales are that bad, or they are just trying harder to fill all seats this year than they have in the past. I have definitely gotten more contact from both the NCAA and UMN than I have in the past about buying tickets.
    The NCAA blew it scheduling this event the same weekend as The Masters. This is the most watched golf event on the calendar every year and where most of the viewing public will be tuning in on Thursday and Saturday. Why they don't schedule the Frozen Four on the same weekend as the men's basketball tourney is beyond me. Schedule the semi's on Friday night and the Championship game on Sunday afternoon. Make it an NCAA Championship weekend and capitalize on the basketball interest vs trying to run away from it!!! Trying to create a "hockey weekend" will never work because there is just not as much interest in Men's college hockey as there is in Men's college basketball or football. Embrace the NCAA basketball Final Four - don't hide from it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
      A few of us had Oxford University jerseys last year; a friend went there to get his MBA and played on the team.

I think my favorite ones I've seen were the University of Phoenix jerseys.
      The rarer the better, especially if you want to meet people.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
        The rarer the better, especially if you want to meet people.
        I may have to grab a green Guinness jersey, makes you look like a north Dakota fan on a bender.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-5280510..._2261_13837659
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
          I may have to grab a green Guinness jersey, makes you look like a north Dakota fan on a bender.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-5280510..._2261_13837659
          Hello. This is the Department of Redundancy Department. Hello!

I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by PuckLuck81 View Post
            The NCAA blew it scheduling this event the same weekend as The Masters. This is the most watched golf event on the calendar every year and where most of the viewing public will be tuning in on Thursday and Saturday. Why they don't schedule the Frozen Four on the same weekend as the men's basketball tourney is beyond me. Schedule the semi's on Friday night and the Championship game on Sunday afternoon. Make it an NCAA Championship weekend and capitalize on the basketball interest vs trying to run away from it!!! Trying to create a "hockey weekend" will never work because there is just not as much interest in Men's college hockey as there is in Men's college basketball or football. Embrace the NCAA basketball Final Four - don't hide from it!!!
            Well I am a huge golfer and the Masters is my favorite tournament. But these days we have DVR and these things called smartphones that keep us up to the minute on the golf tournament. Back in the day when we were the same weekend as hoops (and FYI the women's hoop games are this Sunday) Hockey got totally rolled over. Remember watching hockey games with up to the minute scores of the final four game in progress being scrolled. Plus back then it was also baseball's opening weekend. The hockey games were an aside. I like having our own weekend, and with only 9 posts not sure when you joined the party, but these tournaments are hugely successful these days, even if there is a late push for selling remaining tickets. My first Frozen/Final Four was in Lake Placid in '88, and now every one is in an NHL venue. Makes for a great take.

My biggest complaint stems from the fact that we are no longer able to grab a bite outside the arena between games. That would be the one change I would bring back, two separate admissions, I know concessions are hurt inside, but city certainly benefits. Long day with the back-to-back games, especially on a day when many people have traveled.

Looking forward to getting to Philly, been awhile and know there is much to do. Anyone comment on the Rittenhouse Square area for bars? Staying right next to City Hall and just looking for a good pub crawl before the games.

Comment

I watched the tournament last yr on the iPhone attached to my windshield driving home
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                Well I am a huge golfer and the Masters is my favorite tournament. But these days we have DVR and these things called smartphones that keep us up to the minute on the golf tournament. Back in the day when we were the same weekend as hoops (and FYI the women's hoop games are this Sunday) Hockey got totally rolled over. Remember watching hockey games with up to the minute scores of the final four game in progress being scrolled. Plus back then it was also baseball's opening weekend. The hockey games were an aside. I like having our own weekend, and with only 9 posts not sure when you joined the party, but these tournaments are hugely successful these days, even if there is a late push for selling remaining tickets. My first Frozen/Final Four was in Lake Placid in '88, and now every one is in an NHL venue. Makes for a great take.

My biggest complaint stems from the fact that we are no longer able to grab a bite outside the arena between games. That would be the one change I would bring back, two separate admissions, I know concessions are hurt inside, but city certainly benefits. Long day with the back-to-back games, especially on a day when many people have traveled.

Looking forward to getting to Philly, been awhile and know there is much to do. Anyone comment on the Rittenhouse Square area for bars? Staying right next to City Hall and just looking for a good pub crawl before the games.
                Rittenhouse is ok... when I was looking at the slight possibility of moving there a coworker and I did a barcrawl of sorts. Rittenhouse was certainly one of the ones we do.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I recommend the Morning Glory cafe for breakfast, it's walking distance from downtown and Positano Coast for good italian food, in the gas light district.

I'm sure if tickets prices are an issue, there will be cheap scalper tickets, and btw the masters ticket sales are down 30% this year.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                    I'll be hitting up the Reading Terminal Market (potentially multiple times with all the good choices), and the "Best Sandwich in America" will be consumed at least once.
                    For the newbie here, which place at Reading Terminal Market has this "Best Sandwich in America"?
                    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Wait, you can't leave between games!?!
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        No, you can get out Friday and stroll around!!

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                          For the newbie here, which place at Reading Terminal Market has this "Best Sandwich in America"?
                          Mookie is guessing this joint is like Lexington mkt in Baltimore??? Love that place

Comment

A quick update on Philly's prep for the FF...I was is town today to drop off my wife at 30th Street station for a trek to Boston. There were plenty of attractive NCAA FF banners near many major Center City hotels and huge banners on the Wells Fargo Center clearly visible to the very-heavily traveled I95 and on the Center City side.

I stopped at McFadden's at CBP (Phillies), Chickie's and Pete's and XFINITY LIVE. XFINITY LIVE has booked both BC and Union for parties and McFadden's several alumni parties. I didn't have a chance to talk to anyone of authority at C&P's because the place was very busy with a lively happy hour crowd. I did learn that XFINITY LIVE does have a $20 cover after 9:00. Even though the weather today is damp and cool, they are opening their outdoor bars so I expect they'll be open during the FF with the Phillies also in town.

I can't get a sense whether or not the FF has become a hot ticket although I expect sellouts. Penn State-Vermont sold out twice at Wells Fargo in the last two years(19,000+).

Comcast, owner of NBC, the Flyers, the Wells Fargo Center, a 56-story sky scraper in Philly with a second planned, and soon an acquisition of Time-Warner Cable doesn't like to be embarrassed.

Comment

Got an email from NCAA.com advertising "additional options available".

When I followed the links, I found:

Thursday games only (upper level) $110
                              Saturday game only (upper level) $ 99

Two day packages (upper level) $205 (only a $4 discount from the single session price?!)
                              Two day packages (lower level) $230

So it looks like there are still plenty of seats available, including lower level seats, but they're not willing to sell the lower level seats as single day tickets (yet). This was a Wells Fargo Center website, so they're either reselling seats (though I thought the NCAA was the only sanctioned way of doing that) or they're selling unsold seats, or both.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                And they don't serve alcohol at the event. Well, unless you pony up the dough for the VIP deal thing.
                                I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Working...
                                X