Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Hockey 2013-2014 - Red White Bleeding Blue...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey 2013-2014 - Red White Bleeding Blue...

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Meh. If a Timmy team was in NCAA contention for 80% of the season and then lost four out of five including 4 straight to a comparable team.....This team has gone down in flames. No two ways about it and no "rebuilding blah blah blah" changes it. The great thing is Red won't say any of that, I'm betting he considers this unacceptable
    All probably true. But if it wasn't for how much improvement they showed under the new coach, how much better they looked on the ice and how much harder they competed, then this end of the season swoon wouldn't be so hard to bear. I said at the beginning of the season that wins and losses wouldn't matter, what would matter was how they looked on the ice, how they competed. And that's all still true. But yeah, this kind of hurt a little bit.

It would hurt a lot more, but I gotta keep reminding myself not to let it. No matter how disappointing this ending of the season might be, they're on their way back up, and things are gonna get better. And I can't wait to see it.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
      All probably true. But if it wasn't for how much improvement they showed under the new coach, how much better they looked on the ice and how much harder they competed, then this end of the season swoon wouldn't be so hard to bear. I said at the beginning of the season that wins and losses wouldn't matter, what would matter was how they looked on the ice, how they competed. And that's all still true. But yeah, this kind of hurt a little bit.

It would hurt a lot more, but I gotta keep reminding myself not to let it. No matter how disappointing this ending of the season might be, they're on their way back up, and things are gonna get better. And I can't wait to see it.
      Agree with Rufus in that I take much more positives away from this season. Let's face it the talent on this team is all from the freshmen and sophomore classes. Our depth was an issue from the start and particularly after we lost Higgins. When you have 4 forwards in your line-up night in and night out who can't be counted upon to put anything on the scoresheet you already start with a disadvantage. Should Shore stay, and let's hope he does, and some of the freshmen actually pan out, giving us 3 classes in a row, I expect improvement in our offensive production. Our defense should be even better next year. We lose Brice, but pick up two promising, and big freshmen who both are known for hitting and winning puck battles.

Naturally the big question mark is in net. This position has been a weakness since Bishop left. Ouellette this year and Sullivan his sophomore year were both consistent, but neither was spectacular. Though Marty had his moments this year when he won some games. So let's hope between Morris, Nugnes and Romeo that we find a very solid starter and back-up, or possibly a tandem.

I think we all liked the style Maine played much more this year. Aggressive forecheck as opposed to passive trapping team that sat back. But down the stretch Maine showed their inexperience in important games, and no question they will have to figure out how to win on the road next year.

We are very solid up the middle next year with Shore, Swavely, Brown and Higgins. Could see Higgins centering a 4th line that will be getting a lot of ice time defending #1 line of other teams. And when you add Leen, Lomberg, Byron, and Morgan you've got 9 strong forwards. We'll see if adding Tegeler and the freshmen to Merchant, Cerretani, Campbell and Henke generates some offense. I do expect Pecararo to make an immediate impact and many are high on Vesey. Next year is critical to getting back to the Garden and the NCAA's as we likely lose Shore and possibly Hutton at the end of next season. But I am much more optimistic about the future. Never expected this team to get to achieve either of those goals this year, but they teased us for awhile and that was nice.

Expectations amongst Black Bear nation will be a bit higher next year, so let's hope they live up to them!

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
        Agree with Rufus in that I take much more positives away from this season. Let's face it the talent on this team is all from the freshmen and sophomore classes. Our depth was an issue from the start and particularly after we lost Higgins. When you have 4 forwards in your line-up night in and night out who can't be counted upon to put anything on the scoresheet you already start with a disadvantage. Should Shore stay, and let's hope he does, and some of the freshmen actually pan out, giving us 3 classes in a row, I expect improvement in our offensive production. Our defense should be even better next year. We lose Brice, but pick up two promising, and big freshmen who both are known for hitting and winning puck battles.

Naturally the big question mark is in net. This position has been a weakness since Bishop left. Ouellette this year and Sullivan his sophomore year were both consistent, but neither was spectacular. Though Marty had his moments this year when he won some games. So let's hope between Morris, Nugnes and Romeo that we find a very solid starter and back-up, or possibly a tandem.

I think we all liked the style Maine played much more this year. Aggressive forecheck as opposed to passive trapping team that sat back. But down the stretch Maine showed their inexperience in important games, and no question they will have to figure out how to win on the road next year.

We are very solid up the middle next year with Shore, Swavely, Brown and Higgins. Could see Higgins centering a 4th line that will be getting a lot of ice time defending #1 line of other teams. And when you add Leen, Lomberg, Byron, and Morgan you've got 9 strong forwards. We'll see if adding Tegeler and the freshmen to Merchant, Cerretani, Campbell and Henke generates some offense. I do expect Pecararo to make an immediate impact and many are high on Vesey. Next year is critical to getting back to the Garden and the NCAA's as we likely lose Shore and possibly Hutton at the end of next season. But I am much more optimistic about the future. Never expected this team to get to achieve either of those goals this year, but they teased us for awhile and that was nice.

Expectations amongst Black Bear nation will be a bit higher next year, so let's hope they live up to them!
        Well said...+1

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          You honestly think they should have swept the #8 PWR team on the road? For me, the part of the season I think they would want back was the early early games on the road. They really should have done better than 0-5-1 in the games against SLU, UMA, and UVM.
          Agreed,but they should've swept ND. Providence was "that team" this year that had Maine's number and was just flat out better. And by not getting home ice sealed their fate no matter who they faced in the quarters. It just amazes me how anyone on this board can be so upset after the crap we've seen on the ice, the poor (and I'm being nice) coaching, and the lack of effort and heart over the past few years. At least this team competed and it wasn't a complete embarrassment to be a Maine fan. Jeezus, yes they had an opportunity. It didn't pan out. This program wasn't going to get fixed in one year. Check yourselves. The sky isn't falling.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
            Agreed,but they should've swept ND. Providence was "that team" this year that had Maine's number and was just flat out better. And by not getting home ice sealed their fate no matter who they faced in the quarters. It just amazes me how anyone on this board can be so upset after the crap we've seen on the ice, the poor (and I'm being nice) coaching, and the lack of effort and heart over the past few years. At least this team competed and it wasn't a complete embarrassment to be a Maine fan. Jeezus, yes they had an opportunity. It didn't pan out. This program wasn't going to get fixed in one year. Check yourselves. The sky isn't falling.
            That's 4-sure and to add to it...at this time last year did anyone see any hope of this program turning it around...not hardly...but things started to change on April 9th/2013...you can only see positives in the future.(imo)

Comment

Also, I have no doubts that Red will implement a lot of off season stuff, and next season to work on and improve the mental toughness of the players. I'm sure he's learned a lot of stuff over the years that he can bring in. So next season, hopefully it won't sneak into their heads that they just don't belong at the same level as some other teams. They started the season feeling that way, but the road losses and especially the ND series opened the crack for that self-doubt to enter. They play hard, Red will do what he can to make sure they are hard too.

Comment

lololol....bc fans mocking notre dame all year for the troubles they had in hockey east. Ain't payback a beech ??
                Last edited by all bear; 03-16-2014, 06:59 PM.
                sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                  lololol....bc fans mocking notre dame all year for the troubles that had in hockey east. Ain't payback a beech ??
                  BC is my least favorite team in Hockey East, but I don't understand the rejoicing. Shawn Walsh taught all of us that the Hockey East Championship means nothing in the whole scheme of things. BC won the regular season and is going to the NCAA tournament as a 1 seed in Worcester. Maine is home again this year and has made the tournament 1x in the last 6 or so years. So we take satisfaction at BC losing a meaningless series (in reality it is meaningless) and as a result they get an extra week off before the NCAA's and a trip to Worcester. Now if they don't make it to Philly that will make me happy as I will be in Philly and would prefer to not have BC on hand in case they show up and win the darn thing again.

One thing did make me happy was that Gaudreau point streak was stopped which means he tied and did not surpass Paul Kariya.

Comment

BC is my least favorite team in Hockey East, but I don't understand the rejoicing. Shawn Walsh taught all of us that the Hockey East Championship means nothing in the whole scheme of things. BC won the regular season and is going to the NCAA tournament as a 1 seed in Worcester. Maine is home again this year and has made the tournament 1x in the last 6 or so years. So we take satisfaction at BC losing a meaningless series (in reality it is meaningless) and as a result they get an extra week off before the NCAA's and a trip to Worcester. Now if they don't make it to Philly that will make me happy as I will be in Philly and would prefer to not have BC on hand in case they show up and win the darn thing again.

One thing did make me happy was that Gaudreau point streak was stopped which means he tied and did not surpass Paul Kariya.
                    You've missed the point. Simply one or more arrogant bc fans eating crow. Always fun to watch. Since when did HE tourney mean nothing to SW? You're confused with the reg season there bubba bob
                    sure why not

Comment

A small consolation for Maine fans on the weekend that is worth cheering about.

Comment

Ummm. as far as can I remember Shawn was about winning EVERYTHING. And yes as a Maine fan I do revel in BC losing. I hate the BC arrogance. By their fan base, coaching staff and on down the line.

Comment

Well, I understand the rejoicing. I sat there when Gionta scored a natty and 5 goals in a game. And was part of the Maine contingent that had to endure the heckles from the idiots.

And like it or not the BC program is very much in line with what Maine had in the early 90's to late 00's. Good coaching, good recruiting, good fan base, etc...

They got the target and everyone should be wanting to knock them of their thrown. Natural.

My $0.02... have all the players come back, Devin has a C, Lomberg with and A, Rutt with an A, and work hard on the defense and goaltending end of coaching. If Maine has a goalie next season and all the players come back I think you will see a very marked improvement.

Jusy my $0.02.

Comment

Devin with the C, Higgins and Schurhamer with A's.

Comment

Well, I've done my own calculations. And I can say this, the team next year is going to be good. And barring anyone leaving the team it is going to be good. And the year after that we might be looking at a true frozen four type team. I know it sounds like a moron idiot right now. But if it doesn't happen I will be shocked. Take that to the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                You honestly think they should have swept the #8 PWR team on the road? For me, the part of the season I think they would want back was the early early games on the road. They really should have done better than 0-5-1 in the games against SLU, UMA, and UVM.

Yup.

Some people seem to forget how tough HE has been this year; Maine had a pretty decent conference record against the big boys, but those losses v. the teams you referenced were killers.

And, having been at the SLU games, I truly believe that Maine (as small as they are- hasn't BC won a few NCs while stocked with waterbugs? ) got way, way better under Red as the season progressed.

I'm optimistic about the future of Maine hockey for the first time in several years.

As someone has already said, this team would have more than likely finished near or at the bottom of the conference this season under Tim... And I really believe that to be true.
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-17-2014, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X