Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Hockey 2013-2014 - Red White Bleeding Blue...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey 2013-2014 - Red White Bleeding Blue...

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
    Your keyboard got stuck a little...or you hit your head. Last weekend was atrocious, OK? The last three weeks were less than stellar, OK? Look at the season, the whole season. Maine crawled out of the sewer where the other guy left them, up to the gutter, then back onto the street. One season. As recently as 10 days ago, they were in the discussion for an NCAA bid. 10 days ago. The progress made this season was/is very commendable. 2020 six years away. Get some sleep and try again.
    Do the math.

1. Maine got off to a quick start, then fizzled.
    2. Maine didn't just have a soft schedule this year, they had a historically soft schedule.
    3. The first half of that schedule was softer by far than the second.

If you think 1+2+3 = a landmark improvement, go ahead and lobby for 5-year extension for Red. I'm gonna hang on and insist on seeing more data.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's on track. But Maine isn't close to being "back" just yet. There's a ton of work still to do.
    Last edited by amherstblackbear; 03-03-2014, 09:27 PM.
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
      Well said. The only thing I disagree on is I don't think it will take till 2020. I say more like 2017. That will give Red 3 full recruiting classes and a purge of what's here now.
      I don't think we disagree. I wouldn't support giving anyone until 2020 to show signs of success.

I just meant that it'll take a few seasons of sustained success to start to rebuild Maine's rep in the bigger scheme of things. I guess I was thinking if Red gets results by 2017, then 2020 gives him a chance to show he can keep Maine there. That's all. Not a big deal either way.
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

I keep seeing that they overachieved, really? People thought they were going to be last in HE or something? They came right where I thought they would, lower tier in HE, in the playoffs. Now if they hadn't choked or worn out or whatever you think happened in the last 3 weeks and got home ice then I would say they overachieved.

This year is the honeymoon, next year is going to be much harder. Red is going to have some of his guys in there and folks will expect them to do something. Who is the goalie? Is the D going to improve, will he change style to protect rookie goalie? I like Red already, he understands the situation here. But it will take some time to see if he can really turn it around
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

It's overachieving to put up 14 goals against BU in two games. To handily beat B.C. like they did was overachieving and unexpected. The skid the last few games does tarnish the accomplishments of the season. But they have brought a lot of joy back into following Maine Hockey, and I think that is quite an accomplishment after last year. Things do look promising for the future, and don't forget that this season isn't over yet!

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            I keep seeing that they overachieved, really? People thought they were going to be last in HE or something? They came right where I thought they would, lower tier in HE, in the playoffs. Now if they hadn't choked or worn out or whatever you think happened in the last 3 weeks and got home ice then I would say they overachieved.

This year is the honeymoon, next year is going to be much harder. Red is going to have some of his guys in there and folks will expect them to do something. Who is the goalie? Is the D going to improve, will he change style to protect rookie goalie? I like Red already, he understands the situation here. But it will take some time to see if he can really turn it around
            They overachieved for a good part of the year with their home record. They underachieved on the road, and unfortunately the last weekend of the season. If you had said at the start of the year they will finish 6th I would have thought 5th or 6th is where I would have expected them. If you had said that going into the last weekend with a single win over Providence they would finish 3rd that would have been over achieving. So words can be parsed however one wants to.

Agree with others that it was fun to watch "Maine Hockey" again! We had a team that attacked the net, that forechecked relentlessly and who protected their home ice. Disagree with you on next year being harder. Our one area that needs to be replenished is in net. Otherwise the hope is that for the third consecutive year we bring in some guys who can make a difference. Personally I don't think this rebuild takes that long. The two strongest classes we have are the two youngest. Next year Leen is the only senior who, when healthy, has been a scoring threat. Add some size along with praying that one of the guys in net becomes a puck stopper and Maine should improve upon this year.

Now let's hope they can take care of Merrimack and give PC some fits and maybe get a bounce in game 3!

Comment

I don't think it's so much as overachieved, but further along than expected...at least up until a couple weeks ago. 15 wins certainly isn't overachieving. As I recall most everyone predicted 17-19 wins. So if anything they underachieved a little bit. They were where they were in the standings because every team outside the top 5 all had basically the same record. Take away Minny, BC, Union & Ferris and everyone else is within a game or 2 of each other. All 15-19 wins and 9-12 losses. Maine could've easily had 20 wins this year.

*And what would've their record been if they hadn't had the "cupcake" schedule this year?
              Last edited by ck1969; 03-04-2014, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Right on the money. I think the other thing that people forget about Maine is that back in the 80s, UM was the first of the "new breed" of college hockey programs that made a splash on the national scene as well as showing other schools (including some of the established ones....BC and UNH!!!) that college hockey could be a money maker and marketing tool. I don't think that it is a coincidence that as soon as Maine started winning consistently both BC and UNH put more money into their facilities and programs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                  wait to buy at door and you will be waiting at door
                  I have a feeling unh1982 hasn't been past the front door at Schneider all year.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                  -Blackadder
                  "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                  -Casablanca
                  "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                  -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

BDN article: UMaine goaltending situation up in the air heading into Merrimack game.

It's hard to imagine Ouellette not getting the start.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                      There is too much parody...
                      Not at all! We need MORE parody
                      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                        BDN article: UMaine goaltending situation up in the air heading into Merrimack game.

It's hard to imagine Ouellette not getting the start.
                        He hasn't looked very good to me, the first goal Saturday night was as bad as it gets for a goalie, no way it should have gone in. Is he a better goalie than Sully, no doubt but he hasn't played like it lately

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
                          It's overachieving to put up 14 goals against BU in two games. To handily beat B.C. like they did was overachieving and unexpected. The skid the last few games does tarnish the accomplishments of the season. But they have brought a lot of joy back into following Maine Hockey, and I think that is quite an accomplishment after last year. Things do look promising for the future, and don't forget that this season isn't over yet!
                          Beating BU this year was like beating Maine last year, whoopee freakin doo. As far as style of play goes, yes it changed for the better, much more fun to watch. But you are right the season isn't over, they still have a chance to over achieve. Starts with MC

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                            I have a feeling unh1982 hasn't been past the front door at Schneider all year.
                            Jon you are 100% correct , but have watched most of the games on cox and haven't seen it completely full , perhaps lots of season ticket holders are not showing up . Next question are students on break during the playoffs .

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...errimack-umass

What's the most likely upset in Hockey East first round?
                              https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                              Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

He hasn't looked very good to me, the first goal Saturday night was as bad as it gets for a goalie, no way it should have gone in. Is he a better goalie than Sully, no doubt but he hasn't played like it lately
                                I agree he hasn't looked good of late, but it's tough to go with Sully in a 1 n done scenario. I personally think Marty is a bit worn out. I'd go with Marty, then if they end up going to Prov, I'd rotate them. Marty, Sully, Marty if necessary.

Comment

Working...
                                X