WCHA Playoffs Ohio State @ Minnesota-Duluth 2/28 - 3/2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA Playoffs Ohio State @ Minnesota-Duluth 2/28 - 3/2

Seems like we have been in this position before! For the third season in a row, #5-seed Ohio State and #4-seed UMD will be matched up in the first round of the WCHA Playoffs at Duluth next weekend. In 2012, the Bulldogs swept the Buckeyes. Last year, the Buckeyes returned the favor and swept the Bulldogs. It's a new season and after what happened last season, UMD will no doubt be prepared for, as our good friend Blackbeard calls us, the "Scarlet Scourge." Ohio State is playing some good hockey these days, having defeated Minnesota in a shootout last month, along with Minnesota-Duluth in a shootout. This past weekend, Ohio State swept 7th-ranked North Dakota by scores of 2-0 and 3-1. If the Buckeyes can continue their stellar play, they will be a tough out this weekend. I would not be surprised to see this one go all three games. Unlike last season when the Bulldogs had a number of injuries going into the series, they appear to be fairly healthy going into this one, and are playing some decent hockey themselves. Both teams will need to bring their games to get out of this one. Should be a very tightly contested series. Certainly, UMD will remember what happened last year and be determined to not let that happen again.

Re: WCHA Playoffs Ohio State @ Minnesota-Duluth 2/28 - 3/2

You could hope that UMD will still be suffering shell-shock after this past weekend's performance (or lack thereof) in Minneapolis.
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

I'm thinking overall records in this case is a more telling, or accurate indicator of a certain parity for these two. More so than one might interpret from the conference records and standings. A parity backed up by the Jan. series results in Duluth in my opinion. As motivated as UMD will be for different results than last years tournament results, myself I'd give equal, if not greater weight to the confidence factor for the Buckeyes. I think they know they can win in Duluth by now.

I'm going with Buckeyes in three.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

UMD is going to have to do a better job of maintaining their composure than they did on Saturday. After playing a very good first period the Bulldogs suffered a collective and complete team meltdown that featured: a lot of yapping at the refs for obvious calls; a bench minor for jawing that you could see coming from minutes away; a boarding major and game misconduct, followed by the player trying to flip the double bird at the crowd but forgetting to take her gloves off first; and a 1-0 deficit becoming 4-0.

Barring that well played first period in the second game UMD didn't look even close to ready for prime time.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
          UMD is going to have to do a better job of maintaining their composure than they did on Saturday. After playing a very good first period the Bulldogs suffered a collective and complete team meltdown that featured: a lot of yapping at the refs for obvious calls; a bench minor for jawing that you could see coming from minutes away; a boarding major and game misconduct, followed by the player trying to flip the double bird at the crowd but forgetting to take her gloves off first; and a 1-0 deficit becoming 4-0.

Barring that well played first period in the second game UMD didn't look even close to ready for prime time.
          UMD yapping at the refs? Never seen that before

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA WOMEN'S HOCKEY

WCHA Regular Season Champions:
          WCHA Playoff Champions:
          NCAA Tournament Appearances: 2012
          NCAA Championships:

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Reg...005/story.html

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
            You could hope that UMD will still be suffering shell-shock after this past weekend's performance (or lack thereof) in Minneapolis.
            they will definitely perform well comparing last weekend...
            atlantarhinoplastycritic.com

Comment

Originally posted by glennnixon View Post
              they will definitely perform well comparing last weekend...
              I agree with this as I am sure we are not going to see the same UMD team that played last weekend. Conversely, UMD is not going to see the same OSU team they saw earlier this season. Should be an interesting series. I see this one going to a third game.

Comment

Where can this series by watched online? I think the WCHA website carries them, does it not? But I checked their site and couldn't find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  Where can this series by watched online? I think the WCHA website carries them, does it not? But I checked their site and couldn't find it.
                  The WCHA doesn't get involved until the Final Face-Off (semis and final). Until then, it is whatever the host school usually provides.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    The WCHA doesn't get involved until the Final Face-Off (semis and final). Until then, it is whatever the host school usually provides.
                    That's what I checked first before considering the WCHA's site, but nothin' doin', unless they are going to list it rather late which has happened before.

Comment

Blackbeard, I was able to watch last year from the UMD website if I remember correctly. Mrs 86 and I are heading to Canada this weekend to check out a couple of CWHL games. Yes, I know, shame on us for going up there on Hockey Weekend Across America! What can I say, just how the schedule worked out!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                        Blackbeard, I was able to watch last year from the UMD website if I remember correctly. Mrs 86 and I are heading to Canada this weekend to check out a couple of CWHL games. Yes, I know, shame on us for going up there on Hockey Weekend Across America! What can I say, just how the schedule worked out!
                        Thanks. It's now there. I checked too soon.

I have a strange feeling that there won't be a third game...it's just that I don't know if I'll be wishing that there was or happy that there wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                          Thanks. It's now there. I checked too soon.

I have a strange feeling that there won't be a third game...it's just that I don't know if I'll be wishing that there was or happy that there wasn't.
                          That wouldn't exactly be a surprise as the last two series have turned out that way. The team that won Friday went ahead and finished the series on Saturday. Last season it was Ohio State, in 2012 it was UMD that moved on. Should be really interesting this weekend. I may try to watch tomorrow night.

Comment

Well, Blackbeard, looks like I am the one who is going to be hoping for a third game this time around! UMD takes game one by a final score of 1-0. Congrats to Jamie Kenyon for scoring the game-winner for the Bulldogs. Becky Allis was called for a five-minute major and according to the box score, a ten-minute game misconduct. I am not 100% sure about the rules, but I think she will have to sit tomorrow because of that. I did not watch tonight, so I cannot really comment on what happened. Based just on the box score, it sounds like it was a tightly contested game. If anyone who was there can add some insights, feel free to enlighten us. Game two is tomorrow at 7:07 pm EST.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                              Well, Blackbeard, looks like I am the one who is going to be hoping for a third game this time around! UMD takes game one by a final score of 1-0. Congrats to Jamie Kenyon for scoring the game-winner for the Bulldogs. Becky Allis was called for a five-minute major and according to the box score, a ten-minute game misconduct. I am not 100% sure about the rules, but I think she will have to sit tomorrow because of that. I did not watch tonight, so I cannot really comment on what happened. Based just on the box score, it sounds like it was a tightly contested game. If anyone who was there can add some insights, feel free to enlighten us. Game two is tomorrow at 7:07 pm EST.
                              This following link is the best I could do. By the time I was able to sit down to watch it the game was into the second period and the score was 1-0. The link wouldn't work and I got the score from the live stats. After trying many times I finally emailed America One only to be told that they are now charging for playoff games which was the reason for the link's not working. They've been included in the subscription for the last number of years so this was a surprise. The game must have been into the third period so I thought I'd just follow the live stats and that wouldn't work no matter how many times I tried.

So, I got shut out tonight.

That would be OSU/UMD 1 - Blackbeard 0 final.

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2014...x?path=whockey

Comment

Working...
                              X