Minnesota hosts Penn State: 2/28 & 3/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UND92UMNLaw99 View Post
    They don't have as much speed or talent, but they have already shown that they can keep up and keep the game close. They're an enormous team, full of guys over 6 feet tall. Big and strong and they skate pretty well. They also play really hard and never quit. They just don't have the finishing skills. But losing by one goal to Minnesota once and BC once and beating Michigan twice, they have shown that they can beat anyone if they get the right bounces.
    Agreed. Penn State does play hard, never quits, and don't seem to see any shots they don't like to take. I have no doubt Penn State can keep up with the top teams in this nation.

That said, they have been stronger at home than on the road this season. But I think the conversation shouldn't be as much about how well Penn State can play as it should be about how tough the Gophers have been to play at home.

From the UMN Press Release:

This weekend’s series marks the final two games at Mariucci Arena this season for the Gophers. The 2013-14 season marks the 20th campaign in which the Gophers have called Mariucci Arena home. The facility was officially opened on Aug. 21, 1993 with an alumni game. Since opening Mariucci Arena, Minnesota is 288-113-45 (.696) on home ice. Since the start of the 2011-12 season, the Gophers are 46-10-6 (.790) on home ice including an 13-1-3 (.853) mark this year (Minnesota’s outdoor game at TCF Bank Stadium was technically scored as a home game, but does not factor into this record).
    I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both games be close this weekend if Penn State can hold Minnesota's offense down. However, a run-and-gun style of game, they just don't have the horses to keep up. They will need to defend well this weekend to have a chance to upset IMO.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Re: Minnesota hosts Penn State: 2/28 & 3/1

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      PSU will be a tough out at least once this weekend if not both nights.
      I agree with once. Also, I'd say it will have as much to do with a softer Gopher effort that night as it will with a scrappy PSU game.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

So its the Gophers vs. Wisconsin Lite?
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
          So its the Gophers vs. Wisconsin Lite?
          No. He called PSU scrappy, not crappy.
          "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

Weekend preview from Gophersports

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...022614aab.html

The No. 2 Minnesota men’s hockey program returns to action this weekend with this year’s final series at Mariucci Arena. The Gophers host Big Ten Conference rival Penn State for a pair of contests as the inaugural Big Ten season enters the home stretch.

Friday’s series opener is set for 8 p.m. CT on the Big Ten Network and BTN2Go.com (Matt Shepard, Ben Clymer, Mark Strobel) while Saturday’s finale is slated for 6 p.m. on NBC Sports Network (Dan Kelly, Ben Clymer). Friday’s radio broadcast will be on 1500 ESPN while Saturday is on MyTalk 107.1. Both games will also be on the Gopher Radio Network (Wally Shaver, Frank Mazzocco).

Celebrated Seniors

For Minnesota seniors Nate Condon, Justin Holl, Jake Parenteau, Tom Serratore and Michael Shibrowski, this weekend’s series with Penn State will be their final games at Mariucci Arena. Among their many accolades, this year’s group of graduating seniors earned a trip to the 2012 NCAA Frozen Four, won back-to-back MacNaughton Cups as WCHA regular-season champions, set a Minnesota attendance record at the 2014 Hockey City Classic at TCF Bank Stadium and helped the Gophers capture the inaugural North Star College Cup. The Gophers will honor this year’s senior class prior to Saturday’s home finale.
            Originally posted by CavalryNate
            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post
              And I think you're definitely correct that clogging up the lanes and blocking shots is going to be the only way that PSU has a chance this weekend. Even with that, I see a Gopher sweep, they just don't have the speed/talent of Minnesota and I don't think they'll be able to keep up.
              Yep - 14 versus 4 NHL draft picks...Yikes. The speed it one thing, but to be able to have that AND make the plays at the same speed it what really impressed me in January. Koudys is a machine at blocking shots for us.

Originally posted by UND92UMNLaw99 View Post
              They also play really hard and never quit. They just don't have the finishing skills. But losing by one goal to Minnesota once and BC once and beating Michigan twice, they have shown that they can beat anyone if they get the right bounces.
              Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
              Agreed. Penn State does play hard, never quits, and don't seem to see any shots they don't like to take. I have no doubt Penn State can keep up with the top teams in this nation.
              Bingo as well. Don't know how many times we would get the open shot and just not be able to bury it. Casey Bailey and David Glen aren't putting up the numbers like they did last year, but it looks like Bailey is starting to come on a bit.

Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post
              Having said that, I've been very impressed with what I've seen of PSU so far this year, and they're obviously going to get better much faster than a lot of people were predicting. I was one of the "optimists" in some discussions when I said it would be 5-7 years before they got the program really going (I heard/saw several comments of a decade or more)... and the more I see, the more I think that they will at least be a factor in the B1G race probably by the time any current freshmen are seniors, and with a bit of luck could end up winning the B1G tournament and making an NCAA appearance by then as well.
              I thought the "decades" time frame was a little ridiculous to start with. I was fortunate enough to be able to do the "virtual" tours of the arena and how impressive it looked then. After seeing the building come together and seeing Gadowsky's approach and energy, I am convinced that four or five years is more like it. What "really going" means is subjective. Signature victories like last week at Yost are a nice interlude to what is to come - receiving votes to being ranked to making the tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by firstpusk View Post
                No. He called PSU scrappy, not crappy.
                Is this the sort of behavior that we should learn to expect on these boards?

Comment

Originally posted by Rodman View Post
                  I would hope you would do the same for my team if someone compared them to the stinkin' badgers.
                  "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

Originally posted by firstpusk View Post
                    I would hope you would do the same for my team if someone compared them to the stinkin' badgers.
                    Still learning the ropes here, but that sounds reasonable!

Comment

Pretty much. Here it all is in a nutshell.

Wisconsin - sucks. Boring hockey and stupid fans.
                      Michigan - also suck and a bunch of hacks. Their arena is also not as impressive as they seem to think.
                      OSU - huh? They have a hockey team? How about that!
                      MSU - boring hockey but don't suck as much as WI or MI. Still looking for that 2nd or 3rd fan of their program.
                      Penn State - still new-ish and a pretty nice arena. Plus you beat Michigan, so we'll give you the benefit of the doubt... for now.

Comment

What Tiggsy said plus I would add:

Wisconsin - fans drink paint thinner and "date" dead deer and they play really boring hockey.
                        North Dakota - coach sucks he can't win a NC and they use overage Canadians, their fans can't read or write either.
                        St. Cloud - Jan Brady U, they also like to hang participation banners and are jealous of the Gophers because the only hockey that matters in Minnesota is at the U.
                        Kato - who cares
                        UMD - see above

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                          North Dakota - coach sucks he can't win a NC and they use overage Canadians, their fans can't read or write either.
                          So that must be a North Dakota thing. When we were a club team, Minot State seemed to follow the same pattern - although I can't speak for their fans.

Comment

So that must be a North Dakota thing. When we were a club team, Minot State seemed to follow the same pattern - although I can't speak for their fans.
                            That's okay. I doubt they had any fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                              That's okay. I doubt they had any fans.
                              Touche. Also, can't be too hard on SC - two of the folks in the hockey office just came from there. Maybe you're saying they needed to get out?

Comment

I think this still works...stupid "no images" policy here:

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/..._2372247_n.jpg
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X