PDA

View Full Version : BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63]

Bomber
10-04-2014, 09:11 PM
They better throw away the tapes. There were long stretches of "same old terriers" in the last two periods. Couldn't get the puck out of the zone.

UMass will be a better sample size.

Seriously Mookie? Seriously!? I could offer you a threesome with Brooklyn Decker and Hannah Davis and you'd probably complain that Brooklyn put on a few.

BU Hockey: We Will Entertain

buoldtimer
10-04-2014, 09:13 PM
So I guess this kid can play...

Hard to judge based on the competition, but I can still judge him against the rest of our guys, and Eichel is on a completely different level. He is just amazing to watch. If you root for an opposing team and BU is coming to your rink.....GO TO THE GAME. He had 5 assists in basically 2 periods of play. And at least 4 were "first" assists, with the third Oksanen goal and the MacLeod goal being amazing plays. Watch the highlights.

Overall, it is clear that the freshman are a huge upgrade. Phelps was better than I expected. A nice goal (to go with 2 assists) and very physical play. Greer showed some skill and should be top 3 lines for sure. But I suspect he will develop significantly over the course of the year. Olsson and Piccinich didn't stand out, but looked as good if not better than the less-skilled returning players (Lawrence, Kelley, Moran).

On D, Hickey is a keeper. Great overall game. He'll make some mistakes, but looked very good. And Fortunato is the next in the line of small slick defensemen (in the mold of Warsofsky and Grizz). MacLeod made his physical presence felt and his goal was a water bottle shot from a tight angle. I thought Diffley looked good too. This team could be playing with 4 freshman on d for much of the season.

In goal, Lacouvee looked fine, but a small sample against weaker competition. The goal he gave up was somewhat of a weird play. The puck popped up and there about 12 people in the crease, so hard to fault him on it.

I hope Moran is ok. He took a big hit and was very wobbly as he tried to get up. It wouldn't surprise me if he suffered a concussion.

O'Regan, Somerby, Lane, and Ryan did not dress. The first three I assume it was because the coaches know they will be on the opening night roster. Ryan I am not sure why.

Saw Parker in the house. I was tempted to thank him for the parting gift (#9).

Ryan = concussion.

Rumor is Maguire isn't in school, and is back in BC.

ericredaxe
10-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Why on earth do they still have the italian sausage with peppers and onions on the menu board? They didn't have it once last year and once again "they didn't have that tonight". The "sliders" on the menu are actually not sliders at all, but are a cheeseburger. I could not tell if they fixed the "price of beer issue" since I purchased my Harpoon along with (2) orders of chicken fingers and one "slider" (single cheeseburger). The total? $31.01 :eek:

Freshman looked great. Eichel is on a different level…. enjoy watching him for the 7.5 months that he will be at BU.

So far so good. Yeah, yeah I know, the Canadian teams are weaker and you can't read anything into this game…. But in comparison, last year we beat the "weaker Canadian team" 2-1. :cool:

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
10-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Ryan = concussion.

Rumor is Maguire isn't in school, and is back in BC.

Not a rumor. Maguire is not enrolled this semester.

Tater
10-04-2014, 11:49 PM
No Danny O'Reagan today. How come?

I heard Quinn gave him a two game suspension. I don't know why.

ETA: I just heard that from a couple of people in the arena that are usually in the know. The Freep didn't say anything in their reporting, just that some scratches were banged up. So hopefully that is just a wrong rumor. Would be disappointing to have someone we are counting on to heavily contribute start off the season in a poor way.

goalguard
10-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Impressions from last night in chronological order:

1. Parking was $10 down from last year's $12. The attendant said that will hold for the entire year. (It's still $10 more than lots of venues, but it is downtown Boston, after all, and way less than Northeastern.)

2. Nice to see the student sections pretty full. And the band in mid-season form, too. Best of all was hearing the familiar voice of Jim Pryor (spelled right?) saying that "The teams are ready . . . so let's play hockey." (He was half-right about the teams, as it turned out.)

3. The rest of the stands were pretty empty.

4. At one break some recorded music came on. I HATE THAT IN ANY BUILDING, especially at Agganis where there's a great band ready to kick things up.

5. And then at last, the game:

a. The Tommies are weak so it's hard to judge how good BU and its young players are, but it sure looked as if the team has turned a corner.

b. All the buzz about #9 is warranted. Fabulous skater, seemingly effortless. You don't realize how blazing fast he is until you see that everyone else is in slow motion. And he shifts gears smoothly. Curious to see how better teams will try to defend him, but there's bound to be a lot of open ice for his linemates--and Eichel can make a pass.

c. A bunch of the freshman defensemen looked good. With #5 back, this should be a big upgrade, though the bar was set pretty low.

d. Kind of interesting that of 12 goals scored, only one was by a defenseman and that was McLeod pinching in on the PP. Come to think of it, there were very few attempts from the blue line.

Punch line for me: This team has much more talent and depth than last year. It will be interesting to see the line-up when O'Regan and Somerby are back.

mookie1995
10-05-2014, 02:25 PM
fortunato is SMALL!!!! when they get their gear on even stickmen look big, but he looks like he may weight 90lbs! golly gee

brassbonanza
10-05-2014, 03:47 PM
fortunato is SMALL!!!! when they get their gear on even stickmen look big, but he looks like he may weight 90lbs! golly gee

It's awful. Quinn should be fired.

Koho
10-05-2014, 04:16 PM
BU 2013-2014???? I would think you guys would want to forget last year and move to a thread with a much more promising season title than last year's by now.

brassbonanza
10-05-2014, 05:15 PM
BU 2013-2014???? I would think you guys would want to forget last year and move to a thread with a much more promising season title than last year's by now.

What 2013-2014 season?

Harry Cleverly
10-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Not a rumor. Maguire is not enrolled this semester.

Isn't he home having back surgery?

Bomber
10-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Yeah, we need a new thread. Someone get on that.