PDA

View Full Version : BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63

ericredaxe
05-03-2014, 03:00 PM
I'm still wondering why they ardently stick to the single-price system across the entire arena. Why not designate sections in the upper corners as lower priced seats, offer those at a lower season ticket price if they want, but more importantly, offer them as lower single-game price tickets. Use those seats to boost attendance for crappy games by further discounting those (only) and that way the season ticket holders don't have anything to complain about because they paid a little more, but it's for a better seat. Charging the same price for fifth row center ice as last row in the corner is a bit puzzling and probably dissuades some from attending games.

The best thing to help attendance will be a winning team. I agree though, I'm not sure why they don't do this. One group I think this could really help with is non-season ticket holder young alumni. I'm trying to picture how many games I would have attended one, two and three years out of college at today's single game ticket prices. I'd guess not very many.

Sean Pickett
05-04-2014, 12:10 AM
Did I mention that playoff tickets are optional again this year (as they should be)? It's also nice that for those who do elect to get them, that they will be invoiced in the spring for them. So the box office seems to be moving in the right direction on this one.

Some of the complaining I think comes from the fact that there was a point in the not too distant future where the price / value made getting season tickets a "no brainier" and they definitely have drifted away from being at that point over time.You should be happy that you don't have to join the Friends of BU Hockey to be able to purchase season tickets, like North Dakota ($135).

Sean

ericredaxe
05-04-2014, 06:48 PM
You should be happy that you don't have to join the Friends of BU Hockey to be able to purchase season tickets, like North Dakota ($135).

Sean

A lot of this stuff will be a product of what the market will bear. I would guess that over the past few years there have been more people opting out of their season tickets than there have been new people wanting season tickets.

I'm not a member of friends of hockey but that is primarily because I'll always make any donations to the friends fund of the sport that I participated in while at BU rather than the hockey program.

I'd hope that if they ever moved towards something like this that they would consider donations to another sport to be equal for the "right to buy" hockey tickets.

mookie1995
05-04-2014, 07:12 PM
A lot of this stuff will be a product of what the market will bear. I would guess that over the past few years there have been more people opting out of their season tickets than there have been new people wanting season tickets.

I'm not a member of friends of hockey but that is primarily because I'll always make any donations to the friends fund of the sport that I participated in while at BU rather than the hockey program.

I'd hope that if they ever moved towards something like this that they would consider donations to another sport to be equal for the "right to buy" hockey tickets.

you get points for giving.
but you get points for being a foh
points for being a season ticket holder
points for playing
points for being a bu alum

these 'terrier loyalty points' are the basis for allocating beanpot & ncaa tickets.
they were also the basis for picking the seats you wanted when bu moved into haa.

ericredaxe
05-04-2014, 07:20 PM
you get points for giving.
but you get points for being a foh
points for being a season ticket holder
points for playing
points for being a bu alum

these 'terrier loyalty points' are the basis for allocating beanpot & ncaa tickets.
they were also the basis for picking the seats you wanted when bu moved into haa.

I meant if they ever required a donation (as Sean mentioned) that I would hope they would "count" your donation to another sport.

Are these loyalty points worth anything anymore? Does anyone ever actually get turned away for beanpot tickets?

Sean Pickett
05-04-2014, 07:26 PM

I'd hope that if they ever moved towards something like this that they would consider donations to another sport to be equal for the "right to buy" hockey tickets.As I understand the UND program that is the case for that school. In fact, UND also gives free admission to women's hockey & volleyball games if you are a member.

Sean

mookie1995
05-04-2014, 07:26 PM
I meant if they ever required a donation (as Sean mentioned) that I would hope they would "count" your donation to another sport.

Are these loyalty points worth anything anymore? Does anyone ever actually get turned away for beanpot tickets?

i was saying that they would use loyalty points and there is a line item there for "lifetime giving to bu athletics", so yes. you get 2pts for every $100 you have ever given to bu athletics.

while bu has had beanpot tickets to spare recently, they are used to allocate. higher point totals get better seats. lower people have to sit next to the band :p

you should have points and get a statement as a season ticket holder and a donor to bu athletics. do you get an annual statement?

ericredaxe
05-04-2014, 08:34 PM
you should have points and get a statement as a season ticket holder and a donor to bu athletics. do you get an annual statement?

I know that I have seen these, but now that you mention it, I don't think I have seen one in a couple of years. I wonder if I have ended up on their sh!* list? :D

Sean Pickett
05-04-2014, 11:25 PM
I know that I have seen these, but now that you mention it, I don't think I have seen one in a couple of years. I wonder if I have ended up on their sh!* list? :DIt is my understanding that the program BU currently uses to track loyalty points requires statements to be printed individually. I requested mine last year and they sent my statement to me.

Sean

Rover
05-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Why is that elitist? My point is - season tickets cost x-amount. That's the price. Are they too expensive? Apparently for some people, yes. So, don't buy them. That sends a message. You can still go to games that you want, not worry about paying for tickets to games you don't care to see. Don't come here after deciding to purchase them and ***** and complain that the person next to you only paid $10 because the team is having an off year and the Arena is looking to fill the place. Boo-frickin'-hoo. You didn't know that the team would be having an off year. How AWFUL for you!! You paid $16 more dollars. But because you have season tickets you didn't have to worry about getting a ticket to the BC game that everyone wanted to go to. It's a trade off. If more people give up their seats because they think they cost too much and they're annoyed that they have to pay for playoff tickets up front, they might actually rethink their policy and make the changes that people are crying about.

And NHL level prices? Please. I wish I could pay what I pay for a BU game to go see the Bruins. And park for the same amount.

Its elitist because of the advice that fans should either deal with it or leave. Fans are already doing what you want and voting with their feet. As someone who attends every game, I'm thinking maybe you would have noticed this by now. For the money I'm paying, they're [email protected] well going to get my comments on the fan experience, and trust me they do. While people may not like the security team I've never dealt with them so don't mention it. However, tickets are overpriced for college hockey. Obviously I can afford it, but from the looks of all the fans showing up dressed as empty seats a lot of people can't. Playing in front of a1/3rd full house kills the atmosphere. The school, whether they're oblivious or don't care, NEEDS to be reminded of this by its paying customers. Charging fans to park on campus for a game they already bought tickets to is absurd. Again, this is COLLEGE hockey, not the pros.

So get off your high horse already. If you want to be a martyr to the program, be my guest but don't impose that on others. Much like we had to get out from under a coach who was long past his prime, we also need to school to start considering cost vs value, instead of lets jack things up as high as they can go.

mookie1995
05-05-2014, 12:32 PM
This may be the 2nd thing rover's ever written that makes sense :)

Tater
05-05-2014, 12:51 PM
This may be the 2nd thing rover's ever written that makes sense :)

What was the first?

Nick Papagiorgio
05-05-2014, 12:54 PM
What was the first?

Didn't Meatloaf write a song "2 out of 9,926 ain't bad"?

retsap71
05-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Its elitist because of the advice that fans should either deal with it or leave. Fans are already doing what you want and voting with their feet. As someone who attends every game, I'm thinking maybe you would have noticed this by now. For the money I'm paying, they're [email protected] well going to get my comments on the fan experience, and trust me they do. While people may not like the security team I've never dealt with them so don't mention it. However, tickets are overpriced for college hockey. Obviously I can afford it, but from the looks of all the fans showing up dressed as empty seats a lot of people can't. Playing in front of a1/3rd full house kills the atmosphere. The school, whether they're oblivious or don't care, NEEDS to be reminded of this by its paying customers. Charging fans to park on campus for a game they already bought tickets to is absurd. Again, this is COLLEGE hockey, not the pros.

So get off your high horse already. If you want to be a martyr to the program, be my guest but don't impose that on others. Much like we had to get out from under a coach who was long past his prime, we also need to school to start considering cost vs value, instead of lets jack things up as high as they can go.

I agree with this, while I am not a BU fan, I do think it is outrageous to charge the amounts BU does. I can tell you that as a NU season ticket holder I Pay $190 for the season for 1 seat, I get free parking and access to the varsity club. I know BU is a superior program to NU based on history, but compare that to what you guys pay. NU is an incredible deal! But they are also playing in front of 2500 people. Students today not as into hockey as the used to be.

mookie1995
05-05-2014, 02:45 PM
I agree with this, while I am not a BU fan, I do think it is outrageous to charge the amounts BU does. I can tell you that as a NU season ticket holder I Pay $190 for the season for 1 seat, I get free parking and access to the varsity club. I know BU is a superior program to NU based on history, but compare that to what you guys pay. NU is an incredible deal! But they are also playing in front of 2500 people. Students today not as into hockey as the used to be.

We are charged more at bu than the national championship factory up the road :(

mookie1995
05-05-2014, 02:45 PM
What was the first?

He said Mookie did a wonderful job as his PoY campaign mgr

FiveHole12
05-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Up in Orono they're charging $50, the lower bowl seats are empty (although the seats are supposedly sold) and the UMO bean counters are loving it! Honest to goodness... check out their thread. Can't make this stuff up. :D

ericredaxe
05-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Up in Orono they're charging $50, the lower bowl seats are empty (although the seats are supposedly sold) and the UMO bean counters are loving it! Honest to goodness... check out their thread. Can't make this stuff up. :D

I just checked it out... sounds ugly! $50 for a college game... wow.

SpauldingSmails
05-05-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm also evaluating this season. The few things I would like to see are:
1. Guaranteed parking - paid in advance. Not that this year there was an issue more than once or twice, but I would like to be able to arrive at 7 and know that I can get in.
2. If you don't sell the beer, you have to throw it away. At these prices, the Longtrail can't be two weeks old (I know, huge issue)
3. Maybe think about paying the counter help by the person served as they are monumentally slow. I can't imagine how they'll handle a full arena.
4. Permit misdemeanor assaults on folks with jerseys not from either team playing.
5. Score more goals than the other team more often.

Rover
05-06-2014, 08:46 AM
I'm also evaluating this season. The few things I would like to see are:
1. Guaranteed parking - paid in advance. Not that this year there was an issue more than once or twice, but I would like to be able to arrive at 7 and know that I can get in.
2. If you don't sell the beer, you have to throw it away. At these prices, the Longtrail can't be two weeks old (I know, huge issue)
3. Maybe think about paying the counter help by the person served as they are monumentally slow. I can't imagine how they'll handle a full arena.
4. Permit misdemeanor assaults on folks with jerseys not from either team playing.
5. Score more goals than the other team more often.

YOU'LL GET NOTHING AND LIKE IT! - sorry, had to do that. ;)