PDA

View Full Version : BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63

Rover
04-16-2014, 04:43 PM
I would hope after the season the team just had that some of these guys would be expecting big changes next year. No you don't want to be the player told that you might be better off finding another school if you want playing time but it ought to be obvious that this year's roster wasn't cutting it. Only about 5 returning players (non-goalies) should have their spot assured next year.

ericredaxe
04-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Unless they thought a player was going to cause problems, I wouldn't think they would outright cut anyone. As Friend mentioned though, you might see a couple of guys leave based on how much playing time they think they can get based on who all is coming in.

That being said, the incoming freshman should have to expect to fight to earn playing time over guys who were here this year, just as much as the guys who were hear this year will have to expect to earn their way into the lineup over some of the incoming recruits.

After last season, I would expect that conversation was had with every memeber of the team.

brassbonanza
04-16-2014, 06:56 PM
As long as the guys who are told they won't have guaranteed PT and stay to try and earn it aren't taking up scholarship money, not the worst idea to have more competition and extra bodies.

defkit
04-16-2014, 07:44 PM
I think at forward, it really comes down to these guys as being on the bubble:

Lawrence
Ryan
Moran
Collier
Kelley

I think Duane showed himself to be a cut above these guys. I suppose Hohmann and Rodrigues could be at risk if there are any character type issues, given the off years they had (though injuries were part of the problem). I hope Collier is back, he started to show some promise toward the end of the year. With his hustle, he could be a good 4th/3rd liner.

ericredaxe
04-17-2014, 09:02 AM

Lawrence
Ryan
Moran
Collier
Kelley

I think Duane showed himself to be a cut above these guys. I suppose Hohmann and Rodrigues could be at risk if there are any character type issues, given the off years they had (though injuries were part of the problem). I hope Collier is back, he started to show some promise toward the end of the year. With his hustle, he could be a good 4th/3rd liner.

I haven't looked at the roster, how many spots do you figure these 5 are fighting for to dress?

Friend_of_BU_Hockey
04-17-2014, 09:49 AM

Lawrence
Ryan
Moran
Collier
Kelley

Generally agree with your assessment. Hohmann & Rodrigues played thru injuries for much of the season. Rodrigues' game never seemed to get on track until late in the season, but hopefully he'll bounce back w/ a strong Sr. year similar to his So. year.

As of right now there are 18 forwards expected to be on the roster when next season starts. I'd break them down into the following (w/ Freshmen in italics):

Should be on top 2 lines:
Eichel (if he honors his verbal commitment)
O'Regan
Baillargeon
Hohmann
Rodrigues

Eichel, O'Regan, Baillargeon and Hohmann are all natural centers, so I wouldn't be shocked to perhaps see one of them center the 3rd line and give the team strength down the middle.

Potential to play on top 2 lines (but should make solid 3rd line players):
Roberto
Lane
Piccinich
Phelps

Should be regulars on 3rd/4th lines:
Duane (I think he could also see regular PP duty in the slot given his size & soft hands)
Collier
Greer (still not sure if he's accelerating and coming this Fall, or in 2015)

Players who will be fighting for spot(s) in lineup:
Kelley
Lawrence
Moran
Ryan
Coughlin
Olsson

Out of the players listed in the last group, I believe none of the returning players are on scholarship. As legacy kids, Moran (indirectly) and Ryan may fit into the "really want to be at BU and will do everything in their power to earn their PT and make the best of it" category.

buoldtimer
04-17-2014, 09:58 AM
I think that aside from the very talented players (O'Regan, Baillargeon), the number of incoming forwards indicate that Quinn and Greeley want "their kind of players". Maybe Hohman slips into O'Regan/Baillargeon territory. Anyone else is borderline and will need to work real hard and adapt. One man's speculation.

Friend_of_BU_Hockey
04-17-2014, 10:46 AM
I think that aside from the very talented players (O'Regan, Baillargeon), the number of incoming forwards indicate that Quinn and Greeley want "their kind of players". Maybe Hohman slips into O'Regan/Baillargeon territory. Anyone else is borderline and will need to work real hard and adapt. One man's speculation.

One thing that seems to be quite obvious w/ Quinn/Greeley...They love size & length, given the abundance of tall, rangy players they've recruited. Was also a bit of a common denominator when looking at players Quinn recruited while on Parker's staff for various roles (i.e. Z. Cohen, Gryba, Bonino, C. Cohen, Vinny Saponari, Trivino, Chiasson, Courtnall, Megan, Nicastro).

Tater
04-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Reading Friends of BU Hockey's analysis, what I come away with more than anything is that more than just extra bodies, our scoring depth is going to be tremendously better than this past year. We are going to have a 3rd and 4th line that are scoring threats that weren't this year.

Friend_of_BU_Hockey
04-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Reading Friends of BU Hockey's analysis, what I come away with more than anything is that more than just extra bodies, our scoring depth is going to be tremendously better than this past year. We are going to have a 3rd and 4th line that are scoring threats that weren't this year.

I think Quinn will feel much more confident in his ability to roll out 4 lines regularly with next season's team. The 3rd/4th lines on this year's team seemed completely overmatched at times against deeper, more talented teams.

I believe having depth down the middle is an essential part to the team's chances at substantial improvement next season. I'd like to see if the coaching staff takes a more balanced approach across at least the top 3 lines, or if they will front-load the top 2 lines.

mookie1995
04-17-2014, 12:20 PM
I think Quinn will feel much more confident in his ability to roll out 4 lines regularly with next season's team. The 3rd/4th lines on this year's team seemed completely overmatched at times against deeper, more talented teams.

I believe having depth down the middle is an essential part to the team's chances at substantial improvement next season. I'd like to see if the coaching staff takes a more balanced approach across at least the top 3 lines, or if they will front-load the top 2 lines.

Mookie would prefer that DQ frontload the top 4 lines

Rogie21
04-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Right now, the roster projects to have 17 forwards (18 if Greer accelerates) and 8 defensemen, with Ryan counting as a forward. A deletion or two wouldn’t be surprising as Quinn, quite correctly, continues to put his imprint on the program and establishes his definition of “a BU hockey player.” The soon-to-be-announced staff changes are also a step in this transformation. But if some players are indeed cut loose, I wouldn’t expect any current sophomores or juniors to be involved.

I believe having depth down the middle is an essential part to the team's chances at substantial improvement next season. I'd like to see if the coaching staff takes a more balanced approach across at least the top 3 lines, or if they will front-load the top 2 lines.[/QUOTE]

As many as four freshmen forwards are likely to be in the lineup, but this group is more ready for prime time, than last year's freshmen--other than Baillargeon. Piccinich has had two seasons in the USHL, and was very productive this year. Coughlin PG'd in the BCHL and Phelps was a high scorer on SSM's national U18 champs. Then there's that center from Chelmsford, too. :rolleyes:

Even if Quinn decides the O'Regan at RW experiment was a success and keeps him there, BU will be strong at center with Baillargeon, Eichel, Hohmann and possibly Moran--who stepped up nicely in the second half. An obvious key to upgrading the offense is whether a healthy Rodrigues can return to his sophomore year production (14-20-34). Playing alongside the high-skilled Eichel could facilitate that. My pure-conjection guess at the lines:

Phelps Baillargeon O’Regan
Lane Eichel Rodrigues
Coughlin Hohmann Roberto
Collier Moran Piccinich

Agganis
04-17-2014, 12:50 PM

Comparing next year's potential 3rd liners to last year's 4 most common 3rd liners -Moran, Lawrence, Collier, and Duane- is a fun game to play.

Also, Greer will be very young next year but I have seen multiple people say he is looking like one of the top 10 American forwards in his draft year (Eichel's year), to have him on the 4th line fighting to make the 3rd line would be pretty close to mookie's goal of frontloading all 4 lines ;)

Agganis
04-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Right now, the roster projects to have 17 forwards (18 if Greer accelerates) and 8 defensemen, with Ryan counting as a forward. A deletion or two wouldn’t be surprising as Quinn, quite correctly, continues to put his imprint on the program and establishes his definition of “a BU hockey player.” The soon-to-be-announced staff changes are also a step in this transformation. But if some players are indeed cut loose, I wouldn’t expect any current sophomores or juniors to be involved.

So you're expecting Carrabino to be "removed" from the roster after his redshirt year? Otherwise I count 9 D besides Ryan.

Friend_of_BU_Hockey
04-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Greer will be very young next year but I have seen multiple people say he is looking like one of the top 10 American forwards in his draft year (Eichel's year)

Did the US annex Quebec? :p

http://www.thebostonhockeyblog.com/2014/01/aj-greer-commits-to-bu.html

Rogie21
04-17-2014, 01:39 PM
So you're expecting Carrabino to be "removed" from the roster after his redshirt year? Otherwise I count 9 D besides Ryan.

When BU added three quality Ds for 2014--Hickey, Diffley and Abramson--in a two-week period in January, and already had commitments from McAvoy and Kolias for 2015, I figured Carrabino wasn't going to be a factor. Nine is too many Ds, especially with Ryan available in a pinch.

Friend_of_BU_Hockey
04-17-2014, 01:47 PM
When BU added three quality Ds for 2014--Hickey, Diffley and Abramson--in a two-week period in January, and already had commitments from McAvoy and Kolias for 2015, I figured Carrabino wasn't going to be a factor. Nine is too many Ds, especially with Ryan available in a pinch.

Carrabino & Abramson are similar-type players. I believe Carrabino transferred to BU after Quinn was hired, but I wonder if what Quinn saw from him in practices this season furthered the coaching staff's desire to bring on even more D-men for next season.

Agganis
04-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Did the US annex Quebec? :p

http://www.thebostonhockeyblog.com/2014/01/aj-greer-commits-to-bu.html

You're catching all of my dumb mistakes this week haha. I rephrase to "non-CHL players".

defkit
04-17-2014, 02:23 PM

Do you think Ryan is a lock to still be on the team? I know there is a family connection there, and based on playing time, it appears that DQ liked what he saw. My personal opinion is that he was okay but not really a step above the other fringe players, other than the flexibility to play F or D.

Mike79
04-17-2014, 02:33 PM

First line should be O'Regan-Eichel-Rodrigues It reminds me of that Higgins-Wilson-Lawrence line when Higgins moved to wing and Lawrence had that gift (30 goals?) season by playing with them.

As many as four freshmen forwards are likely to be in the lineup, but this group is more ready for prime time, than last year's freshmen--other than Baillargeon. Piccinich has had two seasons in the USHL, and was very productive this year. Coughlin PG'd in the BCHL and Phelps was a high scorer on SSM's national U18 champs. Then there's that center from Chelmsford, too. :rolleyes:

Even if Quinn decides the O'Regan at RW experiment was a success and keeps him there, BU will be strong at center with Baillargeon, Eichel, Hohmann and possibly Moran--who stepped up nicely in the second half. An obvious key to upgrading the offense is whether a healthy Rodrigues can return to his sophomore year production (14-20-34). Playing alongside the high-skilled Eichel could facilitate that. My pure-conjection guess at the lines:

Phelps Baillargeon O’Regan
Lane Eichel Rodrigues
Coughlin Hohmann Roberto
Collier Moran Piccinich[/QUOTE]