Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Maybe Quinn was just hired to run a clean program and change the culture? Granted the cupboard is pretty bare in terms of talent but they seem to have gotten worse, at least to this fan's eye.
    Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Re: BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
      Maybe Quinn was just hired to run a clean program and change the culture? Granted the cupboard is pretty bare in terms of talent but they seem to have gotten worse, at least to this fan's eye.
      I thought you left.

Agganis is right. Judging a coaching job from afar based on body language is a pretty silly exercise. I'm just sayin' that at this level, I'm a sucker for coaches who are positive and active on the bench. It shows me they are engaged and a leader of men. I know that's the type of leadership I would like.

BU Hockey: Message Board Analysis of the #46 Team in the Country
      It Happened!!!!

Comment

Again I'm not in the locker room, but could it be teams figured out BU as the season progressed (their D is godawful for example) and just started exploiting that? Sorta like having a goalie who's starting the season well until teams realize you can beat him up high or five hole all day so they change their approach until the guy proves he can stop it.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
          I cannot tell you the frequency of which he explodes in the locker room, but I can tell you with certainty that he has done so at least once in the past 5 games.

Fans want to see their team win and when they don't they look for a reason that they never would have looked for otherwise. Millan was frequently described as sulking after goals he allowed during his sophomore and junior years when the team was struggling, but almost never during the team's winning years when he was a freshman and senior; his body language was the same all 4 years.

If Quinn was throwing clipboards, water bottles, and sticks and the team was still losing we would be saying he needs to be calm. If he acts like he currently does next year and the incoming recruits and returning players who get a full offseason under Quinn boost the team to top 10 this won't be a talking point. There are multiple ways to be a succesful coach (Bill Belichick, Phil Jackson, Scotty Bowman, Tony LaRussa, Terry Francona, Nick Saban) but listening to others tell you how to act is not one of them. This post isn't directly at you, Harry, you just happened to be the post I chose to quote.
          In all forms of leadership you need to be yourself while employing basic startegies and tactics for success. You are right, there is not 1 way to be a coach. And you are also right that what works when you are 30-2 isn't the same when you are 12-20. The leader that persists has a basic credo and demeanor and can adjust accordingly to account for situations and people. Otherwise, you are easily pegged as a phony or waffler...trying to be all things to all people is usually a sign of failure on the horizon.
          I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

In regard to a guy's demeanor behind the bench, never easy when you're having a year like you guys are having. Maybe the most challenging part of the job. Personally, I think there has to be a mix between tough love and propping guys back up when things are tough. There's room for a coach to have both sides. In fact I'd say it's very important, especially at the collegiate level. Since you only see what goes on during games, has he utilized his timeout other than late game situations? Do you see him clapping behind the bench during games? Do you see him patting guys on the back during games? Does he "teach" during games by communicating what a player may have done wrong/what they should do rather than just go crazy? Those are things I would look for as I'm pretty sure the players are all pretty well aware that they aren't a good hockey team. They don't need to be reminded of that constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
              If Quinn was throwing clipboards, water bottles, and sticks and the team was still losing we would be saying he needs to be calm. If he acts like he currently does next year and the incoming recruits and returning players who get a full offseason under Quinn boost the team to top 10 this won't be a talking point. There are multiple ways to be a succesful coach (Bill Belichick, Phil Jackson, Scotty Bowman, Tony LaRussa, Terry Francona, Nick Saban) but listening to others tell you how to act is not one of them. This post isn't directly at you, Harry, you just happened to be the post I chose to quote.
              Nothing personal taken. This is a good discussion.
              I'd just like to see some life, some passion, some spark. Something.
              Doesn't have to be anything negative, or angry. Just something that resembles some on-bench motivation.

Again, he doesn't need to be Parker. But I'd hope for something more alive than a manikin.
              Last edited by Harry Cleverly; 02-24-2014, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I guess for me I'm not interested in how Quinn motivates 4th line stiffs who won't be on the team next year. It would be nice if he got them to play like 1st liners, but that's asking a lot. What I'm real curious to see, beyond any impact recruits we get in here, is how the few guys with talent, like O'Regan, Hohmann, Ballergerwhatver, etc play when they have more talent surrounding them next year. Are they permanently set back, which we've seen happen at BU, or was this a one year dip? If they remain stuck in the mud, that's on Quinn. He can't turn around no talent players, but he needs to few remaining talented hold-outs to kick it back in gear.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I agree that we can't judge his coaching based on body language etc., but I am with Harry in that I would'nt mind seeing a little more fire.

In a 1-14-2 stretch pretty much anything is open to questioning particularly when it seemed as if we were starting to take some steps forward at the end of last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                    Nothing personal taken. This is a good discussion.
                    I'd just like to see some life, some passion, some spark. Something.
                    Doesn't have to be anything negative, or angry. Just something that resembles some on-bench motivation.

Again, he doesn't need to be Parker. But I'd hope for something more alive than a manikin.
                    I think the word would be " engaged " and he hasn't looked it on a regular basis. He was rolling out a litany of expletives during that ridiculous power play on Friday when they iced the puck twice had one pass picked off in the neutral zone then Noonan took a penalty. In his prior tenure he was engaged enough to email me back on atleast two occasions when I emailed him about some defensive concerns ( one named Morrow and one named Redlihs)!

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      I I don't see the point of Quinn ...sneaking up behind Jerry York and clobbering him with a chair.
                      Can you imagine? This thread would blow up and go into double digit incarnations.

Comment

Originally posted by BUPhD View Post
                        Can you imagine? This thread would blow up and go into double digit incarnations.
                        Didn't Baldwin get suplexed some Beanpots ago?

Comment

Will the team somehow rise from the ashes and "win one for the gipper" on Jack Parker night?

Comment

I look at the thread title and all I can think of is: That's what got Nicastro in trouble...
                            Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

You do not want that, how about a tie,? a tie does not send them West...a win does.....most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                Will the team somehow rise from the ashes and "win one for the gipper" on Jack Parker night?
                                I'd be more concerned with scoring a goal at this point . You have to walk before you run, just saying. Seriously though, have they just quit? This is insane

Comment

Working...
                                X