PDA

View Full Version : BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63

Friend_of_BU_Hockey
04-03-2014, 05:46 PM
If we are to believe the BC Twitter Kid (who has been wrong multiple times in the past) we have two new.....coaches. Albie and Scott Young. Presumably would be replacing Buddy and Pertti.

Haven't heard anything else to confirm nor refute this. Regardless of what we might think of the BC twitter kid, I'm well-aware his 2 sources are very well connected to both BU (extended family) & BC (immediate family) programs.

mookie1995
04-03-2014, 09:03 PM
If we are to believe the BC Twitter Kid (who has been wrong multiple times in the past) we have two new.....coaches. Albie and Scott Young. Presumably would be replacing Buddy and Pertti.

did Young's kid graduate hs already?

Boston22
04-03-2014, 11:14 PM

Who's "Pertti?" Is that a nickname for Steve Greeley or Mike Geragosian?

mookie1995
04-03-2014, 11:26 PM

He is director of hockey operations.

claver2010
04-04-2014, 08:04 AM
If we are to believe the BC Twitter Kid (who has been wrong multiple times in the past)

*insert butthurt form here*

Nick Papagiorgio
04-04-2014, 08:56 AM
*insert butthurt form here*

Charlie Coyle isn't leaving, he told me so!

Agganis
04-04-2014, 09:06 AM
lol

whether you can admit it or not, he's right far more often than not

He is right 90+% of the time, so when he breaks something it is likely happening. When McMahon or the like break something you basically know it is happening or they wouldn't put their name behind it.

That said I believe this is in the 90% of the time for him, not the 10% he is wrong, and I am a huge fan of the moves. Having a star player who went to your school, then to the NHL where he scored over 750 points, won 2 Stanley Cups, and participated in 3 Olympics where he took home a silver medal as the 5th member of your coaching staff is unreal.

I think the staff as it is now assembled is now the best recruiting lineup in the nation (especially once you factor in that kids committing now will have serious doubts York will be around for their 4 years). Take last year's results and toss in the aforementioned NHL resume and the guy who got Gillies and Gaudreau to commit to NU (and he had left before they decommitted). This has the potential to be fun.

Nick Papagiorgio
04-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Absolutely true. Great moves for BU. Just bringing Albie over should be great considering his recruiting at Northeastern (before they got caught for cheating, or was that just Roid Rage Cro?).

No more Jurassic Park(er) and company behind the bench. I think this younger staff will do well. In a few years BC will have to up the ante.

buoldtimer
04-04-2014, 09:54 AM
He is right 90+% of the time, so when he breaks something it is likely happening. When McMahon or the like break something you basically know it is happening or they wouldn't put their name behind it.

That said I believe this is in the 90% of the time for him, not the 10% he is wrong, and I am a huge fan of the moves. Having a star player who went to your school, then to the NHL where he scored over 750 points, won 2 Stanley Cups, and participated in 3 Olympics where he took home a silver medal as the 5th member of your coaching staff is unreal.

I think the staff as it is now assembled is now the best recruiting lineup in the nation (especially once you factor in that kids committing now will have serious doubts York will be around for their 4 years). Take last year's results and toss in the aforementioned NHL resume and the guy who got Gillies and Gaudreau to commit to NU (and he had left before they decommitted). This has the potential to be fun.

As Director of Hockey Ops, is Young permitted to have contact with recruits? Can he play any role in the recruiting process? Is recruiting restricted to coaches?

Agganis
04-04-2014, 10:02 AM
As Director of Hockey Ops, is Young permitted to have contact with recruits? Can he play any role in the recruiting process? Is recruiting restricted to coaches?

As I understand the role he is subjected to the same recruiting restrictions as the rest of the staff, although it is my belief he would be unlikely to participate much off site and most (all?) of his contact would be when the recruits visit BU.

ericredaxe
04-04-2014, 11:18 AM
What does a "director of hockey operations" do?

defkit
04-04-2014, 11:26 AM

Perrti Hasanen - our Finnish connection. He is sometimes on the bench, especially if one of the other assistants is traveling. Very nice guy, I've had an opportunity to chat with him as he volunteers his time in my sons youth program to teach skills sessions once a week. Hopefully, if his BU gig is up (he's been with BU on and off through the years), he won't go far.

Nick Papagiorgio
04-04-2014, 11:35 AM

I think it's a lot of logistics along with a varying degree of responsibility with everything not happening on the ice/coaching aspects. Flights, hotel rooms, buses to airports/rinks, travel party information, meals, rink scheduling (for some teams that need to practice at Fessenden). Budgeting at some places I would imagine, expense reports, etc. Coordination with the equipment room/equipment orders. Handling special events. Liaisons with compliance officers, etc.

Agganis
04-04-2014, 11:41 AM

A member of the coaching staff who is not allowed on the ice during practices. Why? Because the NCAA is a thing that exists. Some school's don't have one (BC), some schools use the position for much of the admin work Nick said (NU women), some schools use it as an extra coach for film review and the like (NU men).

Rogie21
04-04-2014, 11:43 AM
As I understand the role he is subjected to the same recruiting restrictions as the rest of the staff, although it is my belief he would be unlikely to participate much off site and most (all?) of his contact would be when the recruits visit BU.

I believe that is correct and that the job includes setting recruit visits to BU. Someone directed me to the BU jobs site where the Director of Hockey Operations position had been posted. Among the tasks listed was analysis of game videos. Seems to be a good fit given Young's knowledge of the game.

If Albie is indeed the choice to succeed powers, it certainly strengthens BU's recruiting and complements Greeley. O'Connell has done quite well with prospects in Quebec and Western Canada. Last summer, when Greeley was hired, USHR reported that O'Connell was the other candidate considered but that Harvard bumped up his salary to keep him in place. Gotta wonder what this might mean for Ted Donato.

Nick Papagiorgio
04-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Some school's don't have one (BC)

John Hegarty is BC's director of hockey operations. You'll also find him behind the bench as their main equipment manager during games. The guy is very good at what he does.

Agganis
04-04-2014, 12:57 PM
John Hegarty is BC's director of hockey operations. You'll also find him behind the bench as their main equipment manager during games. The guy is very good at what he does.

Ahh so he is. Weird that BC doesn't list him on the coaching staff portion of the roster like they do with other sports. He seems to be more on the administrative side of things.

buoldtimer
04-04-2014, 01:04 PM
I think it's a lot of logistics along with a varying degree of responsibility with everything not happening on the ice/coaching aspects. Flights, hotel rooms, buses to airports/rinks, travel party information, meals, rink scheduling (for some teams that need to practice at Fessenden). Budgeting at some places I would imagine, expense reports, etc. Coordination with the equipment room/equipment orders. Handling special events. Liaisons with compliance officers, etc.

I've never met Scott Young, and never will, probably. However, I have a hard time envisioning anyone with a long NHL career performing these tasks. Expense reports??

mookie1995
04-04-2014, 01:59 PM
I've never met Scott Young, and never will, probably. However, I have a hard time envisioning anyone with a long NHL career performing these tasks. Expense reports??

he WILL have a secretary :D

HHound
04-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Absolutely true. Great moves for BU. Just bringing Albie over should be great considering his recruiting at Northeastern (before they got caught for cheating, or was that just Roid Rage Cro?).

Are you referring to "spitting on the sidewalk" type of violation, which caused at least one Commonwealth Ave. institution to immediately cease the same activity, and was subsequently permitted by the brilliant NC$$? NU paid nasally for their AD's panic. They lost Johnny Goo, Garret Haar and Justin Kovacs from that freshman class. Perhaps they've paid enough? What do you think?