Northeastern Huskies 2013-14 Season Thread II: In Witt we Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2013-14 Season Thread II: In Witt we Trust

..and Reid misses one point blank from Roy in OT. Will not get a better pass than that Adam.. bury that upstairs..
    well, all she wrote. Missed opportunities for both clubs I guess. Back at it tomorrow.
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

No excuse for Reid to blow that perfect pass from Roy in OT. No excuse.
      Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

I think the camera man was smoking some good dope tonight, he was all over the place tonight except where the puck was. I guess I can't complain too much as the games are streamed for free. I'm pretty pumped to be taking my little guy to his first Huskies game tomorrow night as he will be turning 3 on Thursday. There is a ton I could say about tonight's game but the team could be so much more effective if they could carry the puck up the ice better. Bringing the puck out of our zone can be painful at times, and they always look to connect on long passes that miss and go for icing. I'll take one point over none. Let's grab two points tomorrow boys.
        These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

Not as bad as it could have been but still didn't exploit a golden opportunity to improve their lot in the PWR. An off-night for CW; two Maine goals on defensive giveaways; missed a wide-open net in OT. On the positive side, I liked what I saw of Schechter......liked a lot.

Oh, and why all the empty seats? It's not like this team is a bottom feeder anymore.
          Last edited by Split-N; 02-21-2014, 09:09 PM.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
            Oh, and why all the empty seats? It's not like this team is a bottom feeder anymore.
            It's been that way since I attended NU '66-'71 except one of the Crowder years when the team drew 50K for the season (this season so far only 34K), and still wasn't a 'winning' team in the standings. The NU students are about as apathetic for Ice Hockey as you can get (except for those few who do show up no matter what). The Dog House was a sight to behold in the Crowder years. Nowadays, even the students don't show up.

The NU Huskies could be the #1 team in the country and be undefeated, and Matthews Arena would still have empty seats. I guess that's life in the big city.
            Go Huskies!!!!

Real men play Ice Hockey and Football, little boys play the rest of the sports.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaeagle64 View Post
              It's been that way since I attended NU '66-'71 except one of the Crowder years when the team drew 50K for the season (this season so far only 34K), and still wasn't a 'winning' team in the standings. The NU students are about as apathetic for Ice Hockey as you can get (except for those few who do show up no matter what). The Dog House was a sight to behold in the Crowder years. Nowadays, even the students don't show up.

The NU Huskies could be the #1 team in the country and be undefeated, and Matthews Arena would still have empty seats. I guess that's life in the big city.
              Back during Crowder's tenure, it seemed that the athletic department did more to promote the team and get students to attend. Heck, Crowder used to buy pizza for the Doghouse in appreciation for their support. Except when the team plays BU or BC, the place is always half full at best. I think athletics at NU has taken a backseat as opposed to other things, such as increasing the academic standing of the school and expansion.

As for tonight's game, I thought Schechter played a great game. Why haven't they played him more often? He could very well play forward with the speed he has.

That last Maine goal was entirely on Gunn. He simply got beaten in a footrace to the puck and failed to force the Maine player to the outside. Witt was also a bit off his game tonight, but he did make a couple of terrific stops.
              "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

Originally posted by Motorboaters View Post
                As for tonight's game, I thought Schechter played a great game. Why haven't they played him more often? He could very well play forward with the speed he has. That last Maine goal was entirely on Gunn. He simply got beaten in a footrace to the puck and failed to force the Maine player to the outside.
                That last goal was painful because Gunn has the step on the guy. Just got beat to the puck. I know speed isn't his game but you have to win that battle. Bad defensive breakdown led to goals 1 and 3. Need to learn from the mistakes fast, time is running out. No room for error anymore. Reid needs to bury his chance from Roy, simple as that. Bury it, everyone goes home happy. Take the point and move on, tomorrow's game just got even bigger. Maine gets their suspended F back, so they'll be reinforced. Both teams could have pulled out the W, both teams had breakdowns, so tomorrow should be a war.

Schechter really impressed me. Fennell got his first NCAA point but I am nervous as hell with him out there, especially with Darou. I was shocked to see Stone in the lineup. Over Nathan? I assume Cody came back too fast from his concussion, but why Stone? Also, thought the PP actually looked competent at times...baby steps I guess, small victories are still victories with that facet of the game.

Also, was reported after the game that JM said Manson, Benning, and Hedges are being evaluated daily, could all return soon. Contradicts what I heard earlier in the night, word around the balcony was Benning tore his ACL. Hopefully it isn't that bad, as that has implications for next year as well. Manson I saw in his suit, no sling or anything, so that's a good sign.
                "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

As I said earlier, no reason why Schecter hasn't seen more ice time with how porous this defense is. Also, the Saucerman-Lauwers pairing was a disaster last night.
                  Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                  Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                    Also, was reported after the game that JM said Manson, Benning, and Hedges are being evaluated daily, could all return soon. Contradicts what I heard earlier in the night, word around the balcony was Benning tore his ACL. Hopefully it isn't that bad, as that has implications for next year as well. Manson I saw in his suit, no sling or anything, so that's a good sign.
                    Good to hear with Manson. Looking at potential quarterfinal match-ups against UNH, PC or UVM, we'd have a hard time winning without him. The defense last night was literally a collection of 3rd pair/healthy scratches. Good thing we have Witt.
                    2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                    2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Depending on how the season plays out, we could finish anywhere from 2-7. That's nuts...could jump into 2nd tonight with a W and a BC win over UML. We control our destiny, this is going to be a fun (and stressful!) last 7 days of the season!
                      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

This place is dead.

Comment

As in Matthews arena tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
                            As in Matthews arena tonight.
                            I missed tonight's gm.. read that ZAR, Szmatula Roy line was awesome.. glad to hear it!
                            Also nice for Witt to get his groove back.

3pts from a good Maine team.. not bad. Matthews might have been dead.. glad this team is anything but! Way to go Huskies.
                            GO NU HOCKEY
                            Always bullish on the future.
                            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                              ...Big opportunity for Schechter and Fennell, though.
                              After what I saw on the stream this weekend, Mr. Schechter just might have played his way into the rotation.

Anyway, not the prettiest two games of the year but very possibly the grittiest two, especially considering that three regulars were out injured. One of the hallmarks of this team (and probably the thing I like best about it) is that they don't roll over when they're down. It would have been real easy to mail it in on Friday night after going down two goals but they came back and went home with a point. Same thing tonight after giving up another two-goal lead. So while three points aren't as good as four, they're a heckuvalot better than any of the alternatives, and (pinch me), NU has now won 18 games and is sitting in third place.

Still, nothing's over. The first-round bye remains up for grabs. But they control their own destiny and can seal their post-season fortunes by doling out some payback to the ratdogs next weekend for all the pain and heartache they've caused over the years. Time to step up and take what's there for the taking.

Two things that irk me--
                              --The one time they need help from the beagles, said beagles cough up a two goal lead in the third period and let UML get a point. Otherwise, NU is in second by virtue of the tiebreak.
                              --All the empty seats at Matthews. Attendance has become beyond embarrassing. And the Doghouse is pathetic--a shadow of what it was just a couple of years ago.
                              Last edited by Split-N; 02-22-2014, 09:39 PM.
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I was at the game tonight. We came out flying had a great initial 10 minutes and were pretty much out played during the next 50, except for all but the times when the ZAR, Szmatula, & Roy line was on. Roy skated circles when he needed too be that guy and had 4 pts with an assist on every goal. We also clanged the crossbar once. However, I am happy with 3 out of 4 points against a very talented, and more physical Black Bear team.

Sadly, Maine fans likely out numbered NU fans 55% to 45% in a only 1/2 full Matthews, so sad. Considering ,we had 3 starters sidelined, I think we did ok. However the D is so suspect and will eventually be are ungluing. Maine is not a great road team.

We also had to deal with the referee trio of the stooges of Bernard, Miller and Kelleher, who absolutely must hate NU and sleep with a picture of Jerry York under their pillows, because there were some absolute crap calls against NU and plays that should have been called against Maine including a horrible leg check at center ice that left Szmatula withering in pain in front of the Husky bench.

As I sold my season for tonight’s game I was forced to purchase at the box office, as a result I was sandwiched between 2 Maine fans who might have had eight total teeth together, they both smelled of Marlboro reds and looked like they had taken a few days off from their Meth Lab to travel south to the big city. I am told there is an imaginary line just North of Portland that separates their insanity and cross breeding from the rest of this civilized nation, tonight I was a first hand witness to this truth.

Anyway, home and away with BU next week and who knows 2nd place is a possibility. Who da thunk it in October, not me, not anyone! Also, I have thought that Witt had really returned back to earth a bit, since the 2nd goal that broke up, the tie against BC in the Beanpot, but tonight he made some saves that really kept us in it. Nice job Clay!
                                Last edited by RossiRules; 02-22-2014, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X