Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2013-14 Season Thread II: In Witt we Trust

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
    Zero and I mean zero chance that Szmatula goes anywhere after this season. He's a great playmaker in college but game not fitted for the pros.
    I don't think it would be wise decision but no departures really shock me anymore. He's a better talent and player than Brodie Reid was as a 21-year old freshman.
    2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
      What do you think about the chances of Roy and Witt leaving, Jeff?
      Witt is an interesting case because I'm not sure if he'll have finished up his degree. Maybe I can find that out.

I think Roy is best served returning for one more year to develop and further and strengthen his body. One would have to assume Roy (his family) values education at least somewhat based on attending an elite prep school (Deerfield) and then almost going to Brown. This is not an exact science as I'm just going on top of my head memory, but most guys who leave after one or two years have NHL frames whereas the smaller guys tend to stay in school longer. Gerbe (3), Nyquist (3), etc.

As a reporter covering Hockey East, I hope all three return. The league needs all the talented players it can hold on to with the product on the ice suffering compared to the 90s and early 00s.
      Last edited by CollegeHockeyRinkReport; 02-21-2014, 01:24 AM.
      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
        As a reporter covering Hockey East, I hope all three return. The league needs all the talented players it can hold on to with the product on the ice suffering compared to the 90s and early 00s.
        There is no doubt that this has been a down year for Hockey East. Outside of BC, nobody has been good on back to back nights. UML is getting a touch hot now, but really, its a one team league that has a chance to get a ton of bids to the NCAA tournament. Figure that one out?

I wonder if its the moving from 3 games down to 2 that has caused this, or just down years for to many programs.
        DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

could also just be more parity (barring few uber skilled players).. in college hockey in general..
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by DieHardDog View Post
            Wouldn't be surprised at all if there are more Mainers Fri and Sat than non-DogHouse NU fans.
            I can promise you at least two. We'll be in the front row of the balcony drunkenly pretending we're with the Maine-iaks again.
            Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
              I can promise you at least two. We'll be in the front row of the balcony drunkenly pretending we're with the Maine-iaks again.
              ..good, might feel like an away gm to us.. Huskies do well in that kind of scenario..
              GO NU HOCKEY
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                yes.. yes, I was just being specific to hockey re the 2 today.
                4 medals otherwise thus far.. nice job.
                Yes, I was being specific to hockey as well. There were four current/former lady Huskies that will be leaving Sochi with medals this year. Or now that I think about it, I don't believe coaches get medals so it may actually be three. Someone more knowledgeable may know the answer to that...
                On Jamie Oleksiak:

Originally posted by Hokydad
                If he comes next year he will be eaten alive. Zero chance of success in Hockey East next year

Comment

Originally posted by HungryHungryHuskies View Post
                  Yes, I was being specific to hockey as well. There were four current/former lady Huskies that will be leaving Sochi with medals this year. Or now that I think about it, I don't believe coaches get medals so it may actually be three. Someone more knowledgeable may know the answer to that...
                  you are correct, coaches do not get medals.
                  DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

oh.. didn't realize that. who is the 3rd?..
                    GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                      oh.. didn't realize that. who is the 3rd?..
                      Julia Marty - can't quite remember when she was with NU, but I believe it was very recent. I remember there being a story a few years back about how she faced off with her twin sister for the first time when NU played Syracuse. Julia was the captain of the Swiss team. Hilary Witt (coaching staff) was also an NU hockey player a little over ten years ago.

Pretty cool to think NU has a number of Olympians this year, let alone medal winners.
                      On Jamie Oleksiak:

Originally posted by Hokydad
                      If he comes next year he will be eaten alive. Zero chance of success in Hockey East next year

Comment

Julia Marty - can't quite remember when she was with NU, but I believe it was very recent. I remember there being a story a few years back about how she faced off with her twin sister for the first time when NU played Syracuse. Julia was the captain of the Swiss team. Hilary Witt (coaching staff) was also an NU hockey player a little over ten years ago.

Pretty cool to think NU has a number of Olympians this year, let alone medal winners.
                        Got it. Thanks a bunch. Way to go NU Olympians..

Now go MHockey! right now.. & tonight!..
                        GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Well, the lines tonight look different as expected:

Roy/Szmatula/McMurtry
                          ZAR/Stevens/Pimm
                          Reid/Pond/Snydeman
                          Jameison/Stone/Belonger

Gunn/Schechter
                          Lauwers/Saucerman
                          Darou/Fennell

Sheks gets into the lineup like we all wanted, but unfortunately it seems that Hedges' injury is bad enough to keep him out and put Stone in...pretty top heavy line with roy and Szmatula, though I like the second line as well. That's what we got tonight, time to put the talk aside and get down to business.
                          "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Not liking Manson and Benning being out...at all. Manson especially. Big opportunity for Schechter and Fennell, though.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

ZAR's gotta bury that chance right in front of Oullette. might come back to haunt us. C'mon offense, let's get it going. Good discipline thus far.
                              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Blackbears are good team.. made Witt look less than stellar. He's gotta watch those rebounds.
                                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                                X