No announcement yet.

Hockey East - Who's in, who's out, who's home: by the numbers - 2013-14 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East - Who's in, who's out, who's home: by the numbers - 2013-14 edition

Ok, Todd hasn’t posted yet and doesn’t appear to have any activity since last March. So I am going to give it a go as I always liked this post. Since Todd didn’t post it I had to figure it out myself if I wanted to see the information.

BC 31 – 37 [1]
    --- Quarter-Final Home Lock - (Top 4) ---
    --- Quarter-Final Lock - (Top 5) ---
    UML 22-30 [2-7]
    ME 20-28 [2-8]
    UNH 20-24 [2-7]
    --- Quarter-Final Lock - 20 w/ ND tb / 21 w/o (Top 5) ---
    NU 19-27[2-8]
    --- 1st round Home Lock – 17 w BU tb, 18 /o (6, 7 & 8) ---
    PC 16-24 [2-9]
    ND 14-20 [5-10]
    UVM 14-22[2-11]
    --- Top 4 Eligible - ---
    --- Top 5 Eligible - ---
    UMA 11-15 [7-11]
    BU 9-17 [6-11]
    MC 6-14 [8-11]
    --- 1st round Home Eligible – 14 UVM ---

Remaining LEAGUE schedules:
    BC – UML, @UML, ND
    UML - @BC, BC, @UVM, @UVM
    ME - @NU, @NU, PC, PC
    UNH – OFF, OFF,@MC, @MC
    NU – ME, ME, @BU, BU
    PC – UMA, @UMA, @ME, @ME
    ND – BU, BU, BC
    UVM - @MC, @MC, UML, UML
    UMA - @PC, @PC, OFF, OFF
    BU - @ND, @ND, NU, @NU
    MC – UVM, UVM, UNH, UNH

First a few rules changes:
    1) Everybody gets a trophy and makes the playoffs
    2) Top 5 skip the “first” round
    3) Bottom 6 play one game elimination at the higher seed, to fill out the quarter finals.
    So we get a couple more “lines”. Also since there are 11 teams somebody is off each of the last two weekends. Additionally because of Frozen Fenway there are teams with odd number of games left. It is a nice mess with 2 team having just 2 games, 2 teams with 3 games, and the other 7 with 4.

The easy part – those jackwagons from BC have been kicking all our teams *****e$ this year and have wrapped up the league regular season.

Now the mess – from the bottom up - for now: Nobody is eliminated from hosting some sort of playoff game.

If MC wins out and UVM loses out then MC will take the tie break and can pass UVM. MC can get as far as a tie with ND but has already lost that tie break. In a three way tie ND 2-1-1, MC 2-1-1, UVM 1-3, I think it breaks as follows. Todd has gone into long checks of top down or bottom up, I can’t remember all the conclusions but this looks right with ND winning H2H with MC. So MC can get as far as 8th and host in the first round.

If BU wins out they can get to 17 points. Everybody from PC gets to no more that PC’s current 16, BU can pass them all to get to 6th. However NU 19 points and 5th are already out of reach.

UMA with only two games left is fairly easy they can’t catch PC for 6th.

Therefore BU, MC and UMA are all locked into somewhere in the play in round.

Now we get to the messy middle, where teams can float from home ice in the quarters to on the round in the 1st round.

UVM by points can get to 2nd place tie with UML and that means UVM would have to sweep UML and take the tie breaker. ME, NU and PC play each other so if PC sweeps Maine and drops 2 to UMA they get to 20 but either ME with 1 win or two ties or NU with at least a win and a tie must get to 22 points. So for UVM to tie UML it will be 3-way either UVM 3-1-0, ME 1-2-1, UML 0-3-1 or NU 4-0, UVM 2-2, UML 2-2. In the first with Maine UVM gets 2nd.

ND with only 3 games left can get to 20 and is not able to catch UML, one of NU or ME must exceed the ND 20 max and UNH has the head to head tie break. ME also has the tie break, by virtue of the 3rd tie break record again UML. Head to Head with NU, ND would win 3rd tie break with a better record again BC. There are a bunch of there-way ties UNH-ME-ND, UNH-ND-NU, UNH-ND-PC etc. But the best I can see for ND is to get by NU into 5th. In most ties ND ends up 5th or 6th .

For now I am out of time and will need to spend some time with PC, NU, UNH, ME and UML. A few thoughts – UNH wins out they likely finishes no worse than 5th. PC can tie but would lose tie breaker #2 conference wins. In the PC 3 way ties with UNH I think UNH only is passed by PC in the 3-way with UML… So UNH basically controls its fate to 5th but not exactly…
    Last edited by JB; 02-18-2014, 09:56 AM.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Re: Hockey East - Who's in, who's out, who's home: by the numbers - 2013-14 edition

Thanks JB, this is always one of my favorite threads of the year and I had been keeping my eye out for it for a while!

Comment

Re: Hockey East - Who's in, who's out, who's home: by the numbers - 2013-14 edition

Originally posted by JB View Post
      UMA 11-15 [7-11]
      --- 1st round Home Lock - (6, 7 & 8) ---…
      Great work JB - thanks.

The lines above seem out of sort to me, but maybe I misunderstand. If ZooMass can still finish nine through eleven, shouldn't they be below the 6/7/8 lock line?

The middle is a HUGE mess, but aside from causing headaches attempting to sort out the possibilities of the interlocking schedules, it should keep us all tuned in over these last two weeks!
      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
        The lines above seem out of sort to me, but maybe I misunderstand. If ZooMass can still finish nine through eleven, shouldn't they be below the 6/7/8 lock line?
        Thanks, I fixed it. I had that line on there twice. I must have copied it instead of moving it.

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
        The middle is a HUGE mess, but aside from causing headaches attempting to sort out the possibilities of the interlocking schedules, it should keep us all tuned in over these last two weeks!
        I have a thought on how to work on it. The real interlocking piece is Maine, Northeastern and Providence. So I am thinking of looking at the limits of these three. If the schedules were not interlocked there would be 24 points available amongst the 3 but in reality there are only 16 and those "lost" 8 points could be big in this tight a standings.

Lastly I am sure I have issues with 3-way ties. I have to go back and read Todds posts because at this point I can't remember if it is top down or bottom up... I just remember lots of information about both.
        Last edited by JB; 02-18-2014, 10:04 AM.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

I believe (and please correct me if I've missed something) that Lowell locks up a home ice spot with two more points. It would give them 24 points with BC ahead, NU and ME able to jump them and UNH being able to tie at best. Lowell holds the tiebreaker over UNH.
          Lowell Forever
          Forever Lowell

Comment

FWIW, NU has the head-to-head Tiebreaker over UML, MC, PC and UVM.
            Go Huskies!!!!

Real men play Ice Hockey and Football, little boys play the rest of the sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
              I believe (and please correct me if I've missed something) that Lowell locks up a home ice spot with two more points. It would give them 24 points with BC ahead, NU and ME able to jump them and UNH being able to tie at best. Lowell holds the tiebreaker over UNH.
              That is correct. Obviously some people don't like each team making the league playoffs, but I think it's a new excitement to see who gets the byes, etc. Avoiding a single elimination first round is key. A hot goalie can do damage in Hockey East.
              https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
              Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                I would say 3 points for sure. At 24 points you can end up in 3 and two different 4way ties.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                  That is correct. Obviously some people don't like each team making the league playoffs, but I think it's a new excitement to see who gets the byes, etc. Avoiding a single elimination first round is key. A hot goalie can do damage in Hockey East.
                  It's the least exciting thing in HE. When MC upsets PC then maybe you we can talk about how it added a level of excitement but outside of you ( and teams 9-11) I know of no other person that is "excited" about every team making the playoffs...
                  Originally posted by Hokydad
                  Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                    Everyone getting a participation ribbon sucks

Comment

Think of how much more exciting the last 3 weeks of the regular season are when teams know only 8 make the playoffs and the made scramble not to be eliminated.

Comment

BC 33 – 37 [1]
                        --- Quarter-Final Home Lock - (Top 4) ---
                        --- Quarter-Final Lock - (Top 5) ---
                        UML 22-28 [2-7]
                        ME 21-27 [2-7]
                        UNH 20-24 [2-7]
                        --- Quarter-Final Lock - 20 w/ ND tb / 21 w/o (Top 5) ---
                        NU 20-26[2-8]
                        PC 18-24 [2-8]
                        UVM 16-22[2-8]
                        --- Top 4 Eligible - ---
                        ND 16-20 [5-8]
                        --- Top 5 Eligible - ---
                        --- 1st round Home Lock – 15 w BU tb, 16 w/o ---
                        UMA 11-13 [9-11]
                        BU 9-15 [9-11]
                        MC 6-12 [9-11]

Remaining LEAGUE schedules:
                        BC – @UML, ND
                        UML - BC, @UVM, @UVM
                        ME - @NU, PC, PC
                        UNH – OFF,@MC, @MC
                        NU – ME, @BU, BU
                        PC – @UMA, @ME, @ME
                        ND – BU, BC
                        UVM - @MC, UML, UML
                        UMA - @PC, OFF, OFF
                        BU - @ND, NU, @NU
                        MC – UVM, UNH, UNH

Ok we have some more separation, the bottom 3 are now defined as UMA, BU and MC can’t catch any of the upper 8.

ND still can’t get top four because they can’t catch UML or ME and UNH win the tie breaker. ND can catch NU. There is the remote possibility with some crazy 3 or 4 way tie at 20 they could slide to 4th but I haven’t found it. Therefore I say they can’t reach 4th.

Remember UVM and UML play twice so that tie breaker is still in the air. NU plays ME one more time and ME plays PC twice. That means 10 points are still split between teams.

Let’s start with NU and ME, one of those teams must get to at least 22 points tomorrow night. But this still doesn’t affect anybody else officially as UVM holds the tie break with NU.

PC and ME also share 4 points. But again everything is so tight 2-6 I don’t see how anybody is eliminated yet by this fact.

Comment

Hey all. Since us Irish fans are all new to this stuff (format is much more exciting than the old CCHA one imo) I'm just trying to figure out a simple question. Im not good with this tie-break stuff. So ND has a good chance at hosting a Sudden Death game, but do we have any chance at hosting a Best of 3 round? The answer is probably here but I must have missed it. Thanks for all your help. Its been nice to enjoy our first season with a conference of all real, competitive teams
                          TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishJustice22 View Post
                            Hey all. Since us Irish fans are all new to this stuff (format is much more exciting than the old CCHA one imo) I'm just trying to figure out a simple question. Im not good with this tie-break stuff. So ND has a good chance at hosting a Sudden Death game, but do we have any chance at hosting a Best of 3 round? The answer is probably here but I must have missed it. Thanks for all your help. Its been nice to enjoy our first season with a conference of all real, competitive teams
                            Welcome to HE playoffs Swede. It's not possible for them to host a best of 3 series, the best case scenario for them is to finish 5th which would give them a bye but the 4 seed would still be the host school.

Their max # of points for ND is 20 which would put them in a tie with Northeastern and UNH if both lose out. They lose in the tie breaker to UNH because of the head to head. Then with Northeastern it's a wash head to head, then conference wins which they'd be tied for, then the next tie breaker is record against 1st place team which would give Notre Dame the win if they win out and beat BC in the last game of the season. I'll let you do the tiebreakers for yourself if Providence and UVM are tied too. Better hope BC starts Barone in the last game, who's actually a decent goalie in his own right.

Comment

Originally posted by sigx15 View Post
                              Welcome to HE playoffs Swede. It's not possible for them to host a best of 3 series, the best case scenario for them is to finish 5th which would give them a bye but the 4 seed would still be the host school.

Their max # of points for ND is 20 which would put them in a tie with Northeastern and UNH if both lose out. They lose in the tie breaker to UNH because of the head to head. Then with Northeastern it's a wash head to head, then conference wins which they'd be tied for, then the next tie breaker is record against 1st place team which would give Notre Dame the win if they win out and beat BC in the last game of the season. I'll let you do the tiebreakers for yourself if Providence and UVM are tied too. Better hope BC starts Barone in the last game, who's actually a decent goalie in his own right.
                              Appreciate it. Ill just let it play out for itself and take what I can get. A few weeks ago the ND faithful were thinking that we might not even host a playoff game. Thats a drastic change from hosting a Quarterfinal game every year in the CCHA, so we will take a one game if that's what we get. I only speak for myself in this, but I was critical of the move to Hockey East. We strongly recruit from Chicago and westward, plus geography said that the NCHA should have been the conference we took. After this season though I'm glad we found our way to HE. We already know we will face some struggles, as the quality of play is greater than anything the CCHA showed you (as a total whole at least), but we look forward to the challenge and the new rivalries that have already started to be nurtured.
                              TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Working...
                              X