No announcement yet.

Hockey East - Who's in, who's out, who's home: by the numbers - 2013-14 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East - Who's in, who's out, who's home: by the numbers - 2013-14 edition

How time flies...

Hey guys, sorry for the late arrival. Thanks to JB for starting the thread this year.

Coming into the season, I was really looking forward to writing about this year's race because there was so much to go over. Especially considering the big changes and the absolute uniqueness of the playoff format and schedule this year.

The next thing I know, I realize it's Super Bowl / Beanpot weekend and we haven't started yet. I could blame the disorientation on seven fewer league games, but I won't. Then it's Beanpot Finals weekend. Then Presidents' Day. Along the way, there's a new job with 12-hour-plus days, helping with a Python class on weekends, presenting at an out-of town conference, and storm-induced flight changes - all draining away time.

Still there are a few games left, so, without further ado, here are some notes that I hadn't had time to polish up until now. Some of this repeats what has been posted, or is obvious by now, but rather than losing more time to edits, here's the whole shootin' match:

First off: if you're new to this thread, it's an annual tracking of the Hockey East playoff race. As the thread title states, it's simply by the numbers. No prognostication. No woofing. Just math and some context and insight as provided by all of us. For more, I invite you to check out the intros from prior years. I started doing this in 2003 or 2004, I believe, so this is around the 11th or 12th version of the thread.

For returning readers, adding an 11th team radically (and probably irrevocably) changes the playoff format, and our benchmarks. In past years, HE has been the only league to use the regular season results to actually eliminate a team or two from the post-season.

That all changes this year.

With the league expanding to 11 teams for a year, then to 12 next year, that leads to two major changes:
    1) the number of inter-league games drops;
    2) the decision was made to add a round to the playoffs and include everyone.

1) Hockey East has historically scheduled three games each season between league opponents, with the exception of just three four-games-each seasons. However, 11 teams means 10 opponents, so three-games each means 30 games. That takes up too much of the cap-limited schedule. So, this season, HE drops down to two games per leaguemate, for 20 league games each. Since UConn's arrival next year adds another pair of league games, bumping the total to 22, this season will uniquely have the fewest number of games on the league schedule in the history of the league.

For those not familiar with the history, when Hockey East started, there were 7 teams in the league. These were the years of the interlocking schedule with the WCHA. The first two years of the league had each HE team playing the other HE teams 3 times and the WCHA teams twice, with all games counting in league standings. When the HE-WCHA games dropped to one each per opponent in 86-87, HE upped intra-league play to four-games-per to fill out the schedule. For the 92-93 and 93-94 seasons, HE again jumped up to four-games-each. Now, and for the foreseeable future, it will be two apiece.

2) It has been rumored that the UMA upset of BC in HE's only prior play-in (8v9) - between two teams with vastly different records - had a hand in leaving the teams seeded beyond 8 out of the race. That year, 1995, the race was very close for 6-7-8. UMass was not only a newcomer to the league, but also a returnee to D1 hockey after along absence. UMA had 1/3 the points that BC - who narrowly dropped to 8 - did, yet prevailed 5-4 at BC's Kelley Rink for only their 4th win against the league that year. After that, the league dropped the play-in round and let the sometimes far-behind 9 or 9-and-10 teams be the first teams in the country to end their seasons. Sometimes that seemed merciful. More often, it provided for real drama, as the difference between 8 and 9 was not post-season opponent, but post-season existence.

Most playoff brackets follow a powers-of-two rule. However many teams enter, at some point you need to have a final with two teams. Prior rounds match up pairs of teams, eliminating half (the losers) each time. That leads to 1 champ, 2 finalists, 4 semi-finalists, 8 quarter-finalists, and so on. With fewer than 16 teams, you need to find a way to get down to 8 to get into this kind of bracket.

With nine - and even ten - teams, dropping teams below 8 was the decision. With twelve teams on the horizon, dropping a third of the league at the end of the regular season apparently seemed to be too much. That then leaves Hockey East with the need to drop three teams in the playoffs in order to narrow the field to eight for the classic binary bracket. That means the bottom three play the next three in 6-11, 7-10, and 8-9 games. That gives the top five teams a bye. Next year, the bottom four will play the middle four (adding a 5-12 game), with the top four getting byes. This year's format leads to the highly unusual situation where the 5th place team gets a bye, but doesn't get a home game - while the next three below them do. It also means that 4 knows it will host 5 in the quarterfinals, but 1, 2, and 3 will have to await the first round results and reseeding to determine their opponents.

Given these changes, I'm thinking that next year, we should change the thread name to "Hockey East - Byes, Home, and Travel: by the numbers - 2014-15 edition".

For those that were concerned about my absence, for the last few years, I almost exclusively post only in this thread, so my not having posted since March has become the norm.
    The reviews keep coming in about Todd's Posts:
    cambam - Now, that Todd. He is not a moron. Wow. Nice.
    smyler3 - It's starting to get buried in this ... silliness, but Todd makes a lot of good points in his post below.
    MAV - Todd... I followed this post all day long, and you're dead on with your thoughts on [this topic] and the whole discussion...
    Scarlet - What he said.
    brick royl - Wow, what a post. :eek
    TA Jen - As always Todd, you make a good point
    Puck Swami - Todd: Good post. I really hadn't thought about [what you said]... Learn something new every day on these boards...
    Bob Gray - Very well said Todd.
    Puck Swami - Todd, a fine post - as we've come to expect from you.
    David Manning of the Ridgefield Press - Todd's last post? I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats!
    Gene Siskel of the Chicago Tribune - In my will, I bequeathed both of my thumbs to Todd's posts with rigor mortis locking them permanently in the "Up" position!

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
      Let’s start with NU and ME, one of those teams must get to at least 22 points tomorrow night. But this still doesn’t affect anybody else officially as UVM holds the tie break with NU.
      NU holds the tiebreaker against UVM, not the other way around. The game that UVM won against NU was non conference.
      Originally posted by Bakunin
      Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Re: Hockey East - Who's in, who's out, who's home: by the numbers - 2013-14 edition

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...rwise-rankings

Certainly not as comprehensive as anything Todd used to do, but standings with remaining games, Pairwise outlook, some scenarios and what we do know.
        https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
        Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
          How time flies...

Hey guys, sorry for the late arrival. Thanks to JB for starting the thread this year.

Coming into the season, I was really looking forward to writing about this year's race because there was so much to go over. Especially considering the big changes and the absolute uniqueness of the playoff format and schedule this year.

The next thing I know, I realize it's Super Bowl / Beanpot weekend and we haven't started yet. I could blame the disorientation on seven fewer league games, but I won't. Then it's Beanpot Finals weekend. Then Presidents' Day. Along the way, there's a new job with 12-hour-plus days, helping with a Python class on weekends, presenting at an out-of town conference, and storm-induced flight changes - all draining away time.

Still there are a few games left, so, without further ado, here are some notes that I hadn't had time to polish up until now. Some of this repeats what has been posted, or is obvious by now, but rather than losing more time to edits, here's the whole shootin' match:

First off: if you're new to this thread, it's an annual tracking of the Hockey East playoff race. As the thread title states, it's simply by the numbers. No prognostication. No woofing. Just math and some context and insight as provided by all of us. For more, I invite you to check out the intros from prior years. I started doing this in 2003 or 2004, I believe, so this is around the 11th or 12th version of the thread.

For returning readers, adding an 11th team radically (and probably irrevocably) changes the playoff format, and our benchmarks. In past years, HE has been the only league to use the regular season results to actually eliminate a team or two from the post-season.

That all changes this year.

With the league expanding to 11 teams for a year, then to 12 next year, that leads to two major changes:
          1) the number of inter-league games drops;
          2) the decision was made to add a round to the playoffs and include everyone.

1) Hockey East has historically scheduled three games each season between league opponents, with the exception of just three four-games-each seasons. However, 11 teams means 10 opponents, so three-games each means 30 games. That takes up too much of the cap-limited schedule. So, this season, HE drops down to two games per leaguemate, for 20 league games each. Since UConn's arrival next year adds another pair of league games, bumping the total to 22, this season will uniquely have the fewest number of games on the league schedule in the history of the league.

For those not familiar with the history, when Hockey East started, there were 7 teams in the league. These were the years of the interlocking schedule with the WCHA. The first two years of the league had each HE team playing the other HE teams 3 times and the WCHA teams twice, with all games counting in league standings. When the HE-WCHA games dropped to one each per opponent in 86-87, HE upped intra-league play to four-games-per to fill out the schedule. For the 92-93 and 93-94 seasons, HE again jumped up to four-games-each. Now, and for the foreseeable future, it will be two apiece.

2) It has been rumored that the UMA upset of BC in HE's only prior play-in (8v9) - between two teams with vastly different records - had a hand in leaving the teams seeded beyond 8 out of the race. That year, 1995, the race was very close for 6-7-8. UMass was not only a newcomer to the league, but also a returnee to D1 hockey after along absence. UMA had 1/3 the points that BC - who narrowly dropped to 8 - did, yet prevailed 5-4 at BC's Kelley Rink for only their 4th win against the league that year. After that, the league dropped the play-in round and let the sometimes far-behind 9 or 9-and-10 teams be the first teams in the country to end their seasons. Sometimes that seemed merciful. More often, it provided for real drama, as the difference between 8 and 9 was not post-season opponent, but post-season existence.

Most playoff brackets follow a powers-of-two rule. However many teams enter, at some point you need to have a final with two teams. Prior rounds match up pairs of teams, eliminating half (the losers) each time. That leads to 1 champ, 2 finalists, 4 semi-finalists, 8 quarter-finalists, and so on. With fewer than 16 teams, you need to find a way to get down to 8 to get into this kind of bracket.

With nine - and even ten - teams, dropping teams below 8 was the decision. With twelve teams on the horizon, dropping a third of the league at the end of the regular season apparently seemed to be too much. That then leaves Hockey East with the need to drop three teams in the playoffs in order to narrow the field to eight for the classic binary bracket. That means the bottom three play the next three in 6-11, 7-10, and 8-9 games. That gives the top five teams a bye. Next year, the bottom four will play the middle four (adding a 5-12 game), with the top four getting byes. This year's format leads to the highly unusual situation where the 5th place team gets a bye, but doesn't get a home game - while the next three below them do. It also means that 4 knows it will host 5 in the quarterfinals, but 1, 2, and 3 will have to await the first round results and reseeding to determine their opponents.

Given these changes, I'm thinking that next year, we should change the thread name to "Hockey East - Byes, Home, and Travel: by the numbers - 2014-15 edition".

For those that were concerned about my absence, for the last few years, I almost exclusively post only in this thread, so my not having posted since March has become the norm.
          Welcome back Todd.
          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

BC 34 – 36 [1]
            --- Quarter-Final Home Lock - (Top 4) ---
            --- Quarter-Final Lock - (Top 5) ---
            UML 23-27 [2-6]
            NU 22-26[2-7]
            ME 21-25 [2-7]
            UNH 20-24 [2-7]
            PC 20-24 [2-8]
            UVM 18-22[4-8]
            --- Top 4 Eligible - ---
            --- Top 5 Eligible - ---
            ND 18-20 [6-8]
            --- 1st round Home Lock – 15 w BU tb, 16 w/o ---
            UMA 11 [9-10]
            BU 9-13 [9-11]
            MC 6-10 [10-11]

Remaining LEAGUE schedules:
            BC – ND
            UML - @UVM, @UVM
            ME - PC, PC
            UNH – @MC, @MC
            NU – @BU, BU
            PC – @ME, @ME
            ND – BC
            UVM - UML, UML
            UMA - OFF
            BU - NU, @NU
            MC – UNH, UNH

We are down to one weekend to go and the only thing we know is BC is in 1st, which we have known for a bit.

The bottom 3 is established but the order is unknown. UMA is done with the regular season but they can’t finish last, there point total is above MC max.

I said after Friday ND can’t get to 4th unless c=some crazy 3 or 4 way tie I hadn’t found. Well now ND can’t get to 4th by points. They can get to a tie in 5th but that tie would have to be 3-way with UNH & PC or four way by adding UVM.

In ties I am going to do top down because I think that is the way they are breaking ties these days. I went back to the old thread got a headache and came out believing it is top up…

In a 3 way tie the records would be UNH 3-1, PC 2-2 and ND 1-3, so either elevating the top or dropping the bottom ND can’t be 5th, this scenario ND is 6th winning 3rd tiebreaker against PC. In a 4-way tie the records are PC 4-2, UNH 3-3, UVM 3-3, ND 2-4, so again either elevating the top or dropping the bottom ND can’t be 5th. Once PC is elevated the 3-way tie ends as UVM 3-1, UNH 2-2, ND 1-3, UVM is 6th that leaves UNH 7th and ND 8th. Therefore ND can’t get a bye and will be hosting a 1st round game but can still get to 6th.

Since Maine and PC play each other those 4 points have to be given out with the possibilities of ME-25/ PC-20, ME-24/PC-21, ME 23/PC-22, PC-23/ME-22, PC-24/ME-21. This means the 3rd place team will have 23 points. My crappy way of explaining this is the lowest high number in those 5 sets is 23…

The last thing I think we can do on this is the crazy tie situation at 22 points. There are 2 potential 4 ways ties at 22, as can be seen above ME or PC can be involved in 4-way ties at 22 but not both and this tie would be for 4th in either case UML is above and one of either ME or PC would be above the 22 point mark.

NU 3-2-1 4th
            UNH 3-3 1-3 1-1 6th
            UVM 3-3 3-1 5th
            ME 2-3-1 2-2 1-1 7th

This is a top up bottom down case. As noted before I am going top up. Bottom down isa weird as after Maine is eliminated the other 3 end up at 2-2, and the tie break can’t yet be determined.

Record Wins
            NU 3-2-1 10
            PC 3-2-1 9-10
            UNH 3-3 10-11
            UVM 2-4 11

This mess is harder to break. Bottom down it would probably be easier. Top up simultaneously is a challenge unless you elevate NU & PC and compare those two the wins in league are yet to be determined. I would leave this mess for Todd to explain…

P.S. I can't remember how to get table formating to work so the tables above are a total mess.
            Last edited by JB; 02-23-2014, 09:04 AM.
            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Lowell should be a Quarterfinal Lock now as they can't fall below 5th. Since Maine and PC play each other, one of them could catch Lowell but not both.
              Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
              "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

I'll take a look at the tie breakers, perhaps later today (after TAing the final Python classes of this session). Certainly before next week's games.

I'll also bring back the formatting for the standings and Round-Robin Records (RRRs) tiebreakers. I didn't want to jump into your team bracketing before you had a chance to post whatever you wanted, since you started the thread this year.
                smyler3 - It's starting to get buried in this ... silliness, but Todd makes a lot of good points in his post below.
                MAV - Todd... I followed this post all day long, and you're dead on with your thoughts on [this topic] and the whole discussion...
                Scarlet - What he said.
                Puck Swami - Todd: Good post. I really hadn't thought about [what you said]... Learn something new every day on these boards...
                David Manning of the Ridgefield Press - Todd's last post? I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats!
                Gene Siskel of the Chicago Tribune - In my will, I bequeathed both of my thumbs to Todd's posts with rigor mortis locking them permanently in the "Up" position!

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                  http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...rwise-rankings

Certainly not as comprehensive as anything Todd used to do, but standings with remaining games, Pairwise outlook, some scenarios and what we do know.
                  Thanks for the link, Jeff.

As ScottK points out, UML has already clinched a Bye into the QFs.

True, there are four teams behind them that could individually catch and pass them, hitting 24 to UML's current 23.

Since Maine and PC play each other for two, they'd have to split the four points somehow. Maine needs at least two to tie UML and has the tb (1-0-1). However, that would leave PC with two points max, at least a point short of UML at 22.

As for their Magic number to clinch home ice, I'll cover the possibilities for a logjam at 24 when I post the RRR grids later. There are a lot of permutations there, including how many, and which, teams are tied - and whether NU would have 24 with two ties, or a win and a loss in these scenarios.
                  Scarlet - What he said.

Comment

IF UNH SWEEPS MC:

SCENARIO 1

NU/BU SPLIT---NU 24 PTS

ME/PC SPLIT---ME 23 PTS
                    PC 22 PTS
                    UNH GETS THE #3 SEED

SCENARIO 2

NU SWEEPS BU---NU 26 PTS
                    ME SWEEPS PC---ME 25 PTS
                    PC 20 PTS
                    UNH GETS THE #5 SEED

SCENARIO 3

NU SWEEPS BU---26 PTS
                    ME/PC SPLIT---ME 23 PTS
                    NU 22 PTS
                    UNH GETS THE #4 SEED

SCENARIO 4

NU SPLIT---NU 24 PTS
                    ME SWEEPS PC---ME 25 PTS
                    PC 20 PTS
                    UNH GETS THE #4 SEED

I think I've done this correctly. Please correct me if I am wrong on this
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

I assume NU clinched based on some tiebreaker. If someone can figure out how, perhaps this'll be a bit of insight in how they will be performing the tiebreakers this year?
                      BS UMass Lowell 2015
                      PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

BC 34 – 36 [1]
                        --- Quarter-Final Home Lock - (Top 4) ---
                        UML 23-27 [2-5]
                        --- Quarter-Final Lock - (Top 5) ---
                        NU 22-26[2-7]
                        ME 21-25 [2-7]
                        UNH 20-24 [2-7]
                        PC 20-24 [2-8]
                        UVM 18-22[4-8]
                        --- Top 4 Eligible - ---
                        --- Top 5 Eligible - ---
                        ND 18-20 [6-8]
                        --- 1st round Home Lock – 15 w BU tb, 16 w/o ---
                        UMA 11 [9-10]
                        BU 9-13 [9-11]
                        MC 6-10 [10-11]

Remaining LEAGUE schedules:
                        BC – ND
                        UML - @UVM, @UVM
                        ME - PC, PC
                        UNH – @MC, @MC
                        NU – @BU, BU
                        PC – @ME, @ME
                        ND – BC
                        UVM - UML, UML
                        UMA - OFF
                        BU - NU, @NU
                        MC – UNH, UNH

Good call ScottK, I did all the analysis ref PC and ME and didn’t catch that the line should move for UML.
                        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

As for Northeastern - I can't say they are clear of 6th:

If NU gets no more points, UML is already ahead, UNH can cleanly pass with 3 of 4 points against MC and one of Maine and PC must cleanly pass. That leaves us with the following options:

NU alone in 5th
                          NU in 5th tied with UVM
                          NU in 5th tied with either ME or PC but not both
                          NU in 5th tied with UVM and either ME or PC but not both

NU holds the tie breaker 2-0 with UVM. NU has identical 1-0-1 records with PC and ME holding both of those.

There is a possibility of NU ends tied with PC (by PC splitting) at 22 points, UNH sweeps to 24 points, UML is swept and stays at 23 and Maine gets to 23 only happens if the tie at 22 is three way with UVM. So we need to back-up a break a 3-way tie UVM, NU, PC...

PC 3-0-1, NU 3-0-1, UVM 0-4. So bottom up the finish UVM 7th, and then PC 6th over NU 5th based on NU 1-0-1 record with PC. With Top down - HELP!!!! this is where I always get lost, if I can't clearly define the top team in the first tie breaker I typically botch it...

I think this one case puts might put NU 6th.
                          Last edited by JB; 02-23-2014, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post

I assume NU clinched based on some tiebreaker. If someone can figure out how, perhaps this'll be a bit of insight in how they will be performing the tiebreakers this year?
                            Well the tie-breakers are listed on the website...
                            HOCKEY EAST TIEBREAKERS

At the conclusion of the regular season, teams will be ranked by the number of points accumulated. If two teams are tied for first place, they will be declared co-champions.

For playoff seeding purposes, the following tiebreakers will be used at the conclusion of the regular season

1. Head-to-head results between the tied teams

2. Number of wins in conference play

3. Best record against the first-place team(s), then the second-place team(s), then the third-place team(s), and so on

4. Coin flip

If more than two teams finish in a tie, the same criteria will be applied to reduce the number of teams tied, and then the process will commence again.
                            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

NU wins the H2H with both PC and Maine so that is the tiebreaker they must had won
                              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                                Well the tie-breakers are listed on the website...
                                Right, but as had been discussed, Hockey East has not necessarily been consistent with how they handle the H2H when it involves more than 2 teams. Bottom-up vs top-down
                                BS UMass Lowell 2015
                                PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X