No announcement yet.

Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    I think this is Red's last season.

Red said it himself. He will step aside when he feels he's getting in the way. He doesn't even seem to be coaching the team on the bench. It seems like Powers is doing the most of it and Red is sort of overlooking it. I've talked to a couple of past players and from what they've told me just by talking to him, he seems to be losing it. Which is sad.

He's a legend. The last thing I want to do is force him out and wind up like football is right now. But you can't wait too long for these kinds of things or you'll end up like state.

Let the speculation begin.

And yes, I seriously believe Babcock is a legitimate option. Short list: Mike Babcock, Danton Cole, Jeff Blashill.

This is far from the worst loss in Michigan history. Far. So the revisionists can sit down and take a stroll back into the 80s, at your own risk, of course.
    While he has no ties to the Michigan or the midwest I'd throw Union coach Rick Bennett on that list. 3 straight years of 20 plus wins with a frozen four on his resume. And all this with no scholarships at Union.
    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
    https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

I think this is Red's last season.

Red said it himself. He will step aside when he feels he's getting in the way. He doesn't even seem to be coaching the team on the bench. It seems like Powers is doing the most of it and Red is sort of overlooking it. I've talked to a couple of past players and from what they've told me just by talking to him, he seems to be losing it. Which is sad.

He's a legend. The last thing I want to do is force him out and wind up like football is right now. But you can't wait too long for these kinds of things or you'll end up like state.

Let the speculation begin.

And yes, I seriously believe Babcock is a legitimate option. Short list: Mike Babcock, Danton Cole, Jeff Blashill.

This is far from the worst loss in Michigan history. Far. So the revisionists can sit down and take a stroll back into the 80s, at your own risk, of course.
      I'm curious how you think that Babcock would ever think about coaching at Michigan. The man has had great success with Detroit, is going to win either gold or silver as an Olympic coach and would be welcomed with open arms to nearly any team in the NHL. Not trying to sound like an ***, I'm just curious why you think that's even a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by ShotFromThePoint View Post
        I'm curious how you think that Babcock would ever think about coaching at Michigan. The man has had great success with Detroit, is going to win either gold or silver as an Olympic coach and would be welcomed with open arms to nearly any team in the NHL. Not trying to sound like an ***, I'm just curious why you think that's even a possibility.
        That rumor has been all the rage here since last year. He's been to games, he met with athletic director Dave Brandon in the summer. I believe his daughter or someone he is related to is a student at Michigan. TSN even got on it last year.

His contract expires right around the time Red's does. But really, I think this year is it. And if Michigan does not make the tournament, I can guarantee it.

Red and Mike are good friends you could say... http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...0201/301230127
        Last edited by MGoBlueHockey; 02-21-2014, 09:37 PM.
        ---
        National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
        19 Conference Championships
        10 Conference Tournament Championships
        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Any chance Mel Pearson would or could leave Tech to come back to Ann Arbor???

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
            Any chance Mel Pearson would or could leave Tech to come back to Ann Arbor???
            He's the obvious choice. AD doesn't hire someone as a HC here unless they have head coaching experience.

I think Mel seeing the UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN on his caller ID at home would be enough for him to start packing. He's in a no-win situation at tech. Absolutely nothing to work with and recruiting must be reminiscent of hell since he's trying to woo 18/19/20 year olds to come play in the middle of nowhere for a program that is in a no-win situation. But he had to get his experience somewhere so why not where you played at?

I think him leaving here had a lot to do with the major slide recently. That will change if he comes back. And if it is Babcock, holy ****.
            ---
            Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
            2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
              There is absolutely no pressure on the Penn State players or program right now. No one expects them to do anything. They are very well coached, never seem to give up, and get a crap load of shots to the net. It's actually quite scary playing them for those reasons. Every game seems to be a national championship type game for them.
              I'm a BC fan living in New York City who attends a few Yale and Princeton home games. I remember how Gadowsky took a nothing Princeton program and got them into the NCAAs two straight years.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
                M barrassing performances by this team. One NCAA spot ready to be vacated.

Every aspect of the program to be questioned
                I'm officially embarrassed and glad that I did not go to the game last night. Clearly I'm concerned.
                Originally posted by alfablue
                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

That rumor has been all the rage here since last year. He's been to games, he met with athletic director Dave Brandon in the summer. I believe his daughter or someone he is related to is a student at Michigan. TSN even got on it last year.

His contract expires right around the time Red's does. But really, I think this year is it. And if Michigan does not make the tournament, I can guarantee it.

Red and Mike are good friends you could say... http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...0201/301230127
                  Yes, his daughter attends UM. She is a Junior I believe (possibly a Senior). This rumor has been out there for years and as far as I know that's all it is. I highly doubt that Babcock comes to Michigan though I wouldn't complain if he did. As far as I knew him coming to games at Yost was the only time that he got to see his daughter, that's why he comes to Yost when he has the chance (to see his daughter). As his daughter is graduating soon I don't see him doing it.

I ran into him at Yost one night and of course he seemed to be enjoying himself but the pay cut, added responsibilities, and having to deal with (for all intensive purposes) kids why would he? Maybe he wants a challenge is the only reason I can see but it's not a very strong possibility. He lives in Saskatoon and grew up there with his wife. I don't see them moving to Ann Arbor, but I could be wrong.
                  Originally posted by alfablue
                  Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                  Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                  I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Michigan Hockey - The Greatest Hockey Program of All-Time
                    9 NCAA National Championships (Most)
                    25 Conference Championships
                    9 Conference Tournament Championships
                    24 Frozen Four appearances (Most)
                    35 NCAA Tournament appearances (Most)
                    15 Great Lakes Invitational Championships (Most)
                    Most Consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances (22, 1991-2012)
                    Interesting.

There is no doubt in my mind Michigan is the second best program of all time.

They have winning record against everybody but Minnesota.

http://www.gopherhockeyhistory.com/h...onent=Michigan

Minnesota has played Michigan 261 time(s) in their history and their overall record is 130-116-15. These totals do not include any exhibition games played between the schools.
                    All in good fun. I am not going to troll anymore.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                      Interesting.

There is no doubt in my mind Michigan is the second best program of all time.

They have winning record against everybody but Minnesota.

http://www.gopherhockeyhistory.com/h...onent=Michigan

All in good fun. I am not going to troll anymore.
                      Do you guys hang a banner for that, too?
                      ---
                      2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                      X