Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 USA Olympic Hockey

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
    I actually think you're serious. Well those Some Folks that are sensitive about it can turn on NBCSN which virtually any cable system has, and watch it live. Unless they lock themselves in a room with no electricity, anyone with even a passing interest in Olympic Hockey is going to see or hear about the scores from earlier in the day on radio, TV, internet or neer. This is 2014...............
    Yes, I was serious. "Some folks" don't have cable at that time slot, for example at work, and want to watch the game when it's televised later or perhaps they've DVR'd it. Like you, I watched it live. Like you, I think such folks are anachronistic. I was just trying to let the people in this string know that a reasonable alternative existed elsewhere.
    Last edited by CLS; 02-19-2014, 08:53 PM. Reason: civility

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      Jeez, what a surprise...Euro run, Euro based organization.......
      Don't be such a putz, MCR, you're better than that. I think.

IIHF rankings are determined primarily using results from the Olympics and the IIHF championships (the latter of which isn't taken seriously by many, least of all the US and Canada).

Okay, lignut already pointed that out. But I'm keeping this up for the putz part.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I'm not one to put a ton of stock into the IIHF rankings, but I also don't think it's wise to write of Sweden and Finland. Many had Sweden as a favorite heading into these Olympics (for good reason), and look at what Finland has done despite all of the talent they are missing due to injury.

I'm pleased with the four teams that advanced, and I think we're going to get two awesome semi-final games.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Finland is such a defensive team. I wonder how well that would go with an offensive US team. As a Minnesota Wild fan, it would be interesting to see Granlund play against Parise and Suter.

Comment

finland is always the forgotten team yet they are almost always in contention at these types of tournaments

two great rivalries for the semis

Comment

Well the women's team sure shat that game down their leg...

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                Went back to work after they were up 2-0 because "there is no way Canada can come back from that"
                2012-2013 Last Person Standing Champion
                2012-2013 SUNYAC Pick'Em Champion
                2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2016-2017 D-III Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                2013-2014 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Champion, 2014-2015 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Co-Champion
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Losers Bracket Loser Champion
                2014-2015 Atlantic Hockey Pick'em Champion

"A fast body-contact game played by men with clubs in their hands and knives laced to their feet.” - Paul Gallico

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                  Yeah, that was disappointing. That being said, I'm hoping for either 1 of 2 outcomes tomorrow:

1) The US just comes out and dominates from the drop of the puck and wins something like 7-0.

or

2) The EXACT opposite of what happened today. Canada up by 2 with 3 minutes left, and the US scores 2 to tie it, and then wins in questionable fashion in OT.
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by 97osu View Post
                    Went back to work after they were up 2-0 because "there is no way Canada can come back from that"
                    major choke job by the US woman.4 more years for the same old thing.

Comment

The Canadian player on the breakaway got caught from behind and was barely touched. Went down only after she realized she was caught. And that slashing penalty was a joke.
                      At least the US didn't score when the linesman backed into the Canadian defender
                      Last edited by jimmie2dog; 02-20-2014, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 97osu View Post
                        Think Canucks did the same thing last olympics

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                          major choke job by the US woman.4 more years for the same old thing.
                          I absolutely don't agree with that and here's why. It's THEIR game. Just like basketball was ours (except for 1972 when we got screwed by the refs against the Soviet Union). When we sent our best players, we NEVER lost. It was our game. It's hard to explain...the US didn't blow the game. The Canadians RAISED their game because of national pride. They ALWAYS do this. They did it in the 1972 Canada-Russia series when Henderson scored with like a minute left in the final game. They win games like this all the time. The men did it at the last Olympics (and the men will beat the US tomorrow, too). And just think of this. Canada basically did not score an even strength goal the entire game. They scored when they were in all-out, desperation mode, with the goalie pulled and then on a power play in OT.

But that aside, that was one of the BEST HOCKEY games (men, women or anything else) I have ever seen. I just feel bad for the US Women, because they will take this one to their graves.

Comment

After the roster announcement for Team USA Women's hockey, Katey Stone defended her decision to leave several elite players off her roster by comparing her decisions to Herb Brooks' decisions in 1980. She picked her team, and it was designed to utilize speed and quick transitions. Only problem is she didn't learn from past Olympics where the US women were dominated in puck posession against the Canadians because Canada played physical and took away time and space. Speed doesn't help you and you can't transition quickly when you don't have the puck.

This team had some sandpaper, Hillary Knight and the Lammy twins, but it needed more. Team USA had little net front presence in both games versus Canada. How you can leave a player like Hannah Brandt, who excels in these areas, off the roster is still mind boggling to me. Katey Stone picked her team and lost. She is no Herb Brooks.

I'm incredibly proud of the team for the effort they put in and the commitment they showd (the number of blocked shots speaks volumes to that). Just incredibly disappointed because I think this was our best shot at Gold in quite a while. Hope the players hang their heads high because they certainly left it all on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              I absolutely don't agree with that and here's why. It's THEIR game. Just like basketball was ours (except for 1972 when we got screwed by the refs against the Soviet Union). When we sent our best players, we NEVER lost. It was our game. It's hard to explain...the US didn't blow the game. The Canadians RAISED their game because of national pride. They ALWAYS do this. They did it in the 1972 Canada-Russia series when Henderson scored with like a minute left in the final game. They win games like this all the time. The men did it at the last Olympics (and the men will beat the US tomorrow, too). And just think of this. Canada basically did not score an even strength goal the entire game. They scored when they were in all-out, desperation mode, with the goalie pulled and then on a power play in OT.

But that aside, that was one of the BEST HOCKEY games (men, women or anything else) I have ever seen. I just feel bad for the US Women, because they will take this one to their graves.
                              USA was favored by many coming in. We had a two goal lead late in the 3rd. Let's call it what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post

They are WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE! AND WE LET 'EM OFF THE HOOK!

Comment

Working...
                                X