Michigan State at Penn State 2/14-15 hockey story online free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan State at Penn State 2/14-15 hockey story online free

For the two State fans left and the like one half PSU fan who's still here. Maybe some other Big Ten fans will come in for some discussion of the bottom dwellars.

The Spartans come into Hockey Valley for a two game set against the Nittany Lions. With PSU closed yesterday practices were cancelled, meaning unless there's a morning skate the teams will be coming in slightly out of routine.

Last week saw lows for one team and highs for the other. MSU didn't actually lose last weekend, but it certainly felt like they had, blowing a 2-0 lead in the final 90 seconds Friday night (including a goal with 1 second left) before losing in a shootout, and then giving up a goal in the 3rd of a 2-1 game to also lose in a shootout Saturday afternoon. So, while the standings sheet showed 0-0-2 the Spartans lost out on four points, which would have placed them a game out of third place.

For Penn State, they played Michigan for the first time in history, and played them well. Friday's game saw Michigan jump out to a big lead, only for PSU to come back and tie. The Wolverines would continue to put up goals and finished with an easy victory. Saturday was a different tale, however. Penn State obliterated Michigan 4-0 in front of a sell-out crowd with the help of three first period goals. It was the first ever conference win for PSU and came against a top ten team. So while they have essentially locked themselves into last place for the conference tournament, they showed they have some bite to make the third seed a little nervous in the first round.

This will be the first visit to Hockey Valley/Happy Valley/State College/University Park (why are there so many names?) for Michigan State, as the previous four meetings have been at Munn. MSU leads the series 3-1-0, with PSU sneaking away with a victory last season. MSU swept the first series 3-0 and 3-2, and will most likely be looking to ride on the coattails of goalie Hildebrand once again to get them through this series with a PSU team that likes to throw up shots.

Friday's game will be at 6:30 on BTN, and like the title says, online on BTN2go.
    Saturday's game is an excellent ESPNews afternoon 3:30 start, which I believe will be on ESPN3.
    Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 02-14-2014, 08:51 AM.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Re: Michigan State at Penn State 2/14-15 hockey story online free

For Sparty fans coming this weekend, be advised there's a men's bouncy ball game at 1 on Saturday, so parking will be at a premium.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Not to be a debbie downer, but I think MSU comes away empty this weekend.

The collapse I witnessed last Saturday tells me they've got somewhat of a talent gap to overcome. Penn State has the size and skill to do it, they and their crowd will be pumped up coming off of the 4-0, and I don't know if the Spartans' minds are in a good place right now.

On paper perhaps these are two even teams, but my gut tells me we're gonna get rolled.

Comment

I don't see us getting swept. I see anything from a split to us taking both, but I'm feeling a tie tonight and a win tomorrow.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Well I was right about tonight. Another 2-2 tie and the fourth one in five games.

Matt Shepard threw out a lot of false facts at the end. That was far from our first shootout win of the year, we didn't win in a shootout, we tied and won the shootout. But that's trivial.

Power play was awful tonight. If it wasn't for Mr. Pipe we lose that one 5-2. I'll probably end up streaming tomorrow since I don't get espnews.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Just looked back at the schedule. Turns out of the seven ties on the year six have been 2-2, and had Tech not beaten us up in Houghton it could've been eight ties with seven 2-2. Gotta be some type of record in there.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              Just looked back at the schedule. Turns out of the seven ties on the year six have been 2-2, and had Tech not beaten us up in Houghton it could've been eight ties with seven 2-2. Gotta be some type of record in there.
              Yep - I call it "can't score more than 2 goals in 65 minutes."

Comment

Turns out ESPN has increased their blackout on ESPN3 to games on ESPNU and ESPNNews unless you have customer information, and since I don't know MSU campus cable's information looks like I'm blacked out for this one too. Thanks, Delaney.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Well, that series was probably what everyone expected it to be. God awful hockey. Looking at the stat line I'm glad I missed it.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Working...
                  X