Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Rutgers and/or Pitt ever do hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Rutgers and/or Pitt ever do hockey?

With Goudreau at BC being from NJ, would Rutgers ever consider a hockey program? There's a lot of 'tri-state' hockey talent that ends up at BC and elsewhere. Same with the Pittsburgh area. What about Pitt, now that Penn State has made the leap?

Have these schools explored hockey? I know there's no 'money' in it per se, but these schools would be losing their own backyard talent otherwise.
    Chris V
    Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Re: Will Rutgers and/or Pitt ever do hockey?

its not losing talent if you don't offer the sport. Penn State and Robert Morris is plenty of saturation for the Western Pa area.

Plus the suckeyes just to the west .
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Both schools are LONG, LONG, LONG shots at EVER adding hockey. Unless, of course, they have their own Terry Pegula itching to drop $80-100 mil to start up a program. The Rutgers athletic program has been bleeding Scarlet/Red ink for a long time. Pitt athletics may not be in the red, but they are not exactly swimming in cash. If Syd Crosby was from New Jersey it would provide NO incentive for the "State University of New Jersey" to add hockey. Heck, Crosby provides not incentive for Pitt to start a program and the Consol Energy Center is just a couple of miles from the Pitt campus. So, the answer to your question is NO.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
        With Goudreau at BC being from NJ, would Rutgers ever consider a hockey program? There's a lot of 'tri-state' hockey talent that ends up at BC and elsewhere. Same with the Pittsburgh area. What about Pitt, now that Penn State has made the leap?

Have these schools explored hockey? I know there's no 'money' in it per se, but these schools would be losing their own backyard talent otherwise.
        Yea Gaudreau is the first good player to ever come out of NJ. Now that this has happened Rutgers will definitely add hockey.

Now that Demko has come out of southern cal we can expect the Trojans to get hockey going to keep all that talent in California too.
        Originally posted by reBlur
        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
          Yea Gaudreau is the first good player to ever come out of NJ. .
          Jim Dowd

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
            Jim Dowd
            Brian Lawton and Randy Wood were both earlier. Others?
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I've posted on the whole "who will have D-1 hockey next?" question in a number of threads.

In short, though, I believe that two schools in the Big 10 are almost going to have to join the Big 10 hockey conference at some point because I just don't think the league works with 6 teams. I have to believe that this is a topic that will get some discussion at the next Big 10 meetings, too.

I also think the most likely to be added is Nebraska, despite public pronouncements by NU Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst to the contrary about this over the past year or so.

Nebraska already has the facility (brand spanking new with all the necessary piping in the arena floor) to put it in. The money is not an issue, either. The biggest issue at NU is Title 9, and, if and when this happens, it's my belief that Nebraska will add both men's and women's hockey to solve that problem.

Despite Shawn Eichort's protestations otherwise, it isn't going to be his decision to make about hockey at NU. This will be entirely supporter driven (like everything else down there) and if supporters want it, it's gonna happen, period. Whether Shawn Eichorst likes it or not. NU athletics is one situation where the tail DOES wag the dog. The NU Foundation and a variety of very well-to-do supporters wield enormous influence down there. And I mean enormous.

What other Big 10 team would be the other "most likely"? Hard to say. You'd have to have a facility, be able to endow the scholarships, and address the Title 9 concerns. The other names I have heard bandied about are, in no particular order, Iowa, Northwestern (who held the first ever Big 10 hockey tournament there last year), and Illinois. I know they all 3 have strong club programs. Somebody besides me could certainly speak to the possibilities at these or, other Big 10 schools better than I, though.

Where Maryland or Rutgers, as new members of the Big 10, might fit into any of this, I don't know.

As an aside to all this, there has also been some off-the-radar discussion here about the Big 10 admitting UNO as an affiliate, just in hockey. I've had people tell me the Big 10 would never do this, but, the horse was let out of that barn when the Big 10 admitted Johns Hopkins to the Big 10 as an affiliate in men's lacrosse. If it can be done in lacrosse, it wouldn't seem to be much of a reach to add a hockey team that way. I know UNO fans that hope this might happen because, in theory, it probably scuttles the notion of hockey at NU, despite my belief that if NU had a team, it would help UNO, not hurt them. Plus, UNO is part of the same university system here in Nebraska as NU is so UNO isn't the same sort of "reach" for the Big 10 as John's Hopkins is.

Since the Big 10 is all about the money, I could even envision the conference potentially assisting an interested school(s), monetarily to make two more teams happen, even. This, of course, would have to have some overall greater good benefit for that to happen. That would seem to have to be TV related, somehow, I would think.

It's going to be fun to see how this all plays out over the next 5 years or so since I do think something is going to happen in that time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
                With Goudreau at BC being from NJ, would Rutgers ever consider a hockey program?
                I think by the time the program is up and running, Johnny Hockey will have used up his eligibility. So, no.
                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                  I've posted on the whole "who will have D-1 hockey next?" question in a number of threads.

In short, though, I believe that two schools in the Big 10 are almost going to have to join the Big 10 hockey conference at some point because I just don't think the league works with 6 teams. I have to believe that this is a topic that will get some discussion at the next Big 10 meetings, too.

I also think the most likely to be added is Nebraska, despite public pronouncements by NU Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst to the contrary about this over the past year or so.

Nebraska already has the facility (brand spanking new with all the necessary piping in the arena floor) to put it in. The money is not an issue, either. The biggest issue at NU is Title 9, and, if and when this happens, it's my belief that Nebraska will add both men's and women's hockey to solve that problem.

Despite Shawn Eichort's protestations otherwise, it isn't going to be his decision to make about hockey at NU. This will be entirely supporter driven (like everything else down there) and if supporters want it, it's gonna happen, period. Whether Shawn Eichorst likes it or not. NU athletics is one situation where the tail DOES wag the dog. The NU Foundation and a variety of very well-to-do supporters wield enormous influence down there. And I mean enormous.

What other Big 10 team would be the other "most likely"? Hard to say. You'd have to have a facility, be able to endow the scholarships, and address the Title 9 concerns. The other names I have heard bandied about are, in no particular order, Iowa, Northwestern (who held the first ever Big 10 hockey tournament there last year), and Illinois. I know they all 3 have strong club programs. Somebody besides me could certainly speak to the possibilities at these or, other Big 10 schools better than I, though.

Where Maryland or Rutgers, as new members of the Big 10, might fit into any of this, I don't know.

As an aside to all this, there has also been some off-the-radar discussion here about the Big 10 admitting UNO as an affiliate, just in hockey. I've had people tell me the Big 10 would never do this, but, the horse was let out of that barn when the Big 10 admitted Johns Hopkins to the Big 10 as an affiliate in men's lacrosse. If it can be done in lacrosse, it wouldn't seem to be much of a reach to add a hockey team that way. I know UNO fans that hope this might happen because, in theory, it probably scuttles the notion of hockey at NU, despite my belief that if NU had a team, it would help UNO, not hurt them. Plus, UNO is part of the same university system here in Nebraska as NU is so UNO isn't the same sort of "reach" for the Big 10 as John's Hopkins is.

Since the Big 10 is all about the money, I could even envision the conference potentially assisting an interested school(s), monetarily to make two more teams happen, even. This, of course, would have to have some overall greater good benefit for that to happen. That would seem to have to be TV related, somehow, I would think.

It's going to be fun to see how this all plays out over the next 5 years or so since I do think something is going to happen in that time frame.
                  Yeah, I wouldn't trust Trev Alberts to do anything good for Omaha if its in direct competition with Lincoln. Not with the way he called his Wrestling Coach the day his squad just went back to back to back to be 3 time NCAA D2 National Champions, to tell him that they're cutting the program. Hell, I was you, I would be **** scared of Lincoln announcing that they're adding hockey, because I would think that there would be some underhanded deal worked out where Omaha would soon announce after that they're dropping Hockey, where Lincoln would soon turn around and announce that they've hired Dean Blais and will have most of those poor student athletes from UNO getting a new home at UNL.

Fear the Corn good sir, Fear the Corn!
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post

Can I get a summary?
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

Can I get a summary?
                      No.

Nebraska, Iowa, Northwestern, and Illinois all more likely due to BTHC.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                        Yea Gaudreau is the first good player to ever come out of NJ. Now that this has happened Rutgers will definitely add hockey.

Now that Demko has come out of southern cal we can expect the Trojans to get hockey going to keep all that talent in California too.
                        James Van Riemsdyk earlier.
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                          James Van Riemsdyk earlier.
                          "good" player
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                            Jim Dowd
                            facepalm

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              "good" player
                              does that exclude "great" players like him?
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Working...
                              X