Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Maybe those of you with more of an interest in the bounceyball program can help me out here: does the AD struggle to fill out the schedule for Bo Ryan ever? Is there a precedent for the basketball team to leave games on the table like this?
    FWIW, there was a madison.com story recently about the bball team having trouble filling out this season's schedule in part due to their Final Four run and most of the team returning. Some teams want to wait to play our bball team the following season when we are presumably weaker. I got the impression that the assistant coach(es) do most of the scheduling with maybe Barry only weighing in when it comes to how much $ we have to pay a school to come here and get shellacked.
    Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
    Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
    sigpic
    Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
    1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      I usually don't mind the Barry bashing but give me a break here....
      I'm being facetious with the Barry bashing, but the lack of oversight that's leading to a gap in the schedule is more than a little curious, don't you think?
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I don't think that Barry has anything to do with scheduling for basketball or hockey. Pretty sure he's not involved with football either.

Everything I've ever read has indicated that the coaching staffs put their own (non-con) schedules together.

I'm sure there's oversight by the A.D., but I don't believe they are directly involved.

In other news, I dropped my Saturday tickets (dropped my Fridays a couple of years ago).

Will now just purchase on a game by game basis.

The worst (best?) part is that it doesn't register any emotion for me one way or the other. I guess I was just done with that (being a season ticket holder). Oh well... life goes on.
        Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-28-2014, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          I'm being facetious with the Barry bashing, but the lack of oversight that's leading to a gap in the schedule is more than a little curious, don't you think?
          I think that is is the result of the dramatic increase in NC games resulting from a 22 game conference schedule. Given that many NC games are scheduled years out it isn't an unforeseen consequence to not be able to fill all the nc game slots. If it becomes a reoccurring thing I'll become concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
            I think that is is the result of the dramatic increase in NC games resulting from a 22 game conference schedule. Given that many NC games are scheduled years out it isn't an unforeseen consequence to not be able to fill all the nc game slots. If it becomes a reoccurring thing I'll become concerned.
            It's not like the BTHC schedule (and resultant impact on NC scheduling) was foisted upon them overnight. We knew for quite some time that we would have a quadruple round robin with 5 other teams once we went to the BTHC. They had several years to prepare for it.

I do agree that it's not a concern or a problem until this type of thing happens regularly. But I'll stand by my statement: it's a curious oversight to say the least.

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            I don't think that Barry has anything to do with scheduling for basketball or hockey. Pretty sure he's not involved with football either.

Everything I've ever read has indicated that the coaching staffs put their own (non-con) schedules together.

I'm sure there's oversight by the A.D., but I don't believe they are directly involved.
            I'm thinking in this discussion that AD = Athletic Department (as opposed to AD = Barry specifically), but point taken.

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
            FWIW, there was a madison.com story recently about the bball team having trouble filling out this season's schedule in part due to their Final Four run and most of the team returning. Some teams want to wait to play our bball team the following season when we are presumably weaker.
            In that case, were teams breaking pre-existing agreements not to play us, or is it just more of a common thing in D-I basketball where they don't get around to scheduling NC opponents until the summer beforehand? In other words, is that also a result of most basketball schools not scheduling years in advance like hockey and football do?
            Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 07-28-2014, 04:51 PM.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Just offer the Michigan Techs, Minnesota States and Bemidjis one for one deals (i.e. one trip to Houghton in exchange for one Husky trip to Madison) and you'll have no worries filling that schedule up.
              Last edited by davyd83; 07-28-2014, 04:57 PM.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                Just offer the Michigan Techs, Minnesota States and Bemidji one for one deals (i.e. one trip to Houghton in exchange for one Husky trip to Madison) and you'll have no worries filling that schedule up.
                I'd have to imagine that, at this late stage in the game, the specific weekends that were available to certain teams may have come into play.

Comment

I'd have to imagine that, at this late stage in the game, the specific weekends that were available to certain teams may have come into play.
                  I'm sure it did for this year. But I'm also sure that terms of the agreement may have played a part as well. I'm looking more in the long term.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    I'm sure it did for this year. But I'm also sure that terms of the agreement may have played a part as well. I'm looking more in the long term.
                    Right. And that could very well be. I'm sure everyone is still in a feeling out process to find out exactly how much sway they hold in the new college hockey landscape.

Comment

It's not like the BTHC schedule (and resultant impact on NC scheduling) was foisted upon them overnight. We knew for quite some time that we would have a quadruple round robin with 5 other teams once we went to the BTHC. They had several years to prepare for it.

I do agree that it's not a concern or a problem until this type of thing happens regularly. But I'll stand by my statement: it's a curious oversight to say the least.
                      While they've known for a few years the Big Ten was happening, they didn't know they'd have exempt games this year. People seem to be overlooking the fact the two games not being scheduled are in addition to the NCAA allotted 34 game maximum. The only reason they have these two games available to them is for the fact they agreed to play in the Alaska tournament to start the season. I don't know when that agreement because official.

Regardless, I really don't have a problem criticizing people for the mistake in not being able to fill the 36 games. I don't think it was an oversight, I'm sure they have been trying to get an agreement done for some time. I don't know the reasons -- none of us do. I don't think it's acceptable either way. That said, Barry has no culpability in this situation. From my understanding the Director of Hockey Ops and the coaching staff handles the lions share of building the schedule. I'm sure they need an administrator to help in the details in terms of contracts and negotiating the money portion, but obviously that's well below the pay grade of the head of the athletic department.
                      Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 07-28-2014, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                        People seem to be overlooking the fact the two games not being scheduled are in addition to the NCAA allotted 34 game maximum. The only reason they have these two games available to them is for the fact they agreed to play in the Alaska tournament to start the season.
                        And given the experience of sharing a conference with UAA, they were well aware of the exemption when that tourney appearance was scheduled.

I suppose that is one thing I definitely hadn't considered here: when did they schedule the tournament appearance in Anchorage? I suppose that isn't necessarily an event that they were 100% sure about being on the schedule a year ago, was it? Or was it?

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          And given the experience of sharing a conference with UAA, they were well aware of the exemption when that tourney appearance was scheduled.

I suppose that is one thing I definitely hadn't considered here: when did they schedule the tournament appearance in Anchorage? I suppose that isn't necessarily an event that they were 100% sure about being on the schedule a year ago, was it? Or was it?
                          Because the tournament would exempt itself, it would not have mattered if was not a 100% sure thing (other than from a having to hold those dates open).

I stand by my assertion that this is the result of being just the 2nd season with double the NC games it takes time for all the pre-existing contracts to be resolved.

Comment

Because the tournament would exempt itself, it would not have mattered if was not a 100% sure thing (other than from a having to hold those dates open).
                            Maybe, maybe not. Who knows what was on the table if the tournament in Anchorage fell through, could've been another non-Alaska tournament.

Hard to say.

Comment

Whatever the reasons (excuses) and no matter how you slice it, this is a phenomenally craptastic way to start a season. A third rate showcase in Alaska that won't be televised followed by a series in Green Bay that won't be televised followed by two weeks off and then a home series followed by another week off, a trip to Colorado (probably not televised), a home series over Thanksgiving (no students) and then Penn State and then off for the rest of the year (three weeks).

I get that it is what it is, but I get to beotch if I want. It's garbage.

At least they'll never get another dime out of me for the U-18 game.

Comment

• Looks like our 4 TBD series' against Michigan and Minnesota will all be Fri/Sat weekends...

Michigan Schedule

Minnesota Schedule Update

Looks like we're still waiting on the Ohio State road series for 2/13-15.

Comment

Working...
                                X