Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    San Jose.
    Or the Rangers.....
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
      Did anybody think the Minnesota freshman would be this good? Didn't think so.
      Actually, yes. They had 4 USHL recruits with close to 30 goals (two of whom were the top scorers in the league while the other two were in the top 30 scorers), the top goal scoring D in USHL, a top power forward from the NTDP, and one of the best HS defenseman in MN last year. If Tommy Vannelli was anything near a decent academic, the class would have been even better. Many of us expected pretty big things because of all that production from a number of guys playing in the best/deepest junior league for incoming college players.
      University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
        Actually, yes. They had 4 USHL recruits with close to 30 goals (two of whom were the top scorers in the league while the other two were in the top 30 scorers), the top goal scoring D in USHL, a top power forward from the NTDP, and one of the best HS defenseman in MN last year. If Tommy Vannelli was anything near a decent academic, the class would have been even better. Many of us expected pretty big things because of all that production from a number of guys playing in the best/deepest junior league for incoming college players.
        This is what I have been saying for some time....why is Eaves and company only getting one or max two blue chip prospects a year? Why does it seem that Wisconsin only gets the sloppy seconds on the in-state players? Look at the players from the state and the ones that he let get away....why is it that players from the state no longer want to play at Wisco?

Just a quick look at who we chose from in state and just a couple who had ties to the state and went elsewhere....

We kept:

Davidson: Red Shirt
        Paape: 0-1-1
        Hartzog: 1-0-1
        Little: 2-6-8 Now I feel that Little was a great value for a partial scolly - made a significant contribution
        Drake: 3-5-8
        Navin: 4-5-9
        Meuer: 3-5-8 Like Little, a large contributor for a player who got very little scholarship $$
        Dahl: 4-15-19 Contributor in a lot of areas and a big jump in production in his Sr year, but ask your self if Minnesota or BC would have a 2nd line center
        who scored 4 goals and 19 points for a season? Have our standards fallen that far?

Just a view of a couple who got away.....

Will Butcher 16 pts
        Jordan Schmaltz 23 pts
        Max McCormick 35 pts
        Ian McCoshian 13 pts
        Ross Mauermann 36 pts - Yeah I did not see this happening either...but threw it in anyway.

But my whole point is the head coach of our only in-state D1 hockey program that used to be the dream destination of all of Wisconsin's best players is now losing the competition for its best players. If we can win the war for talent at home how do you expect to challenge for the best players nationally??

I guess we will have to wait 4 more years for another senior laden team to make the NCAA's and underachieve!!

Comment

You seemed to forget McCabe and his 25pts. Schmaltz was a lost cause before we even got started....once his brother flipped to follow the family legacy to Sue's a girls name, we weren't winning that recruiting battle. Butcher I know we were all over, but he prefered following the Sun Prairie connection of Steve Miller to DU. McCoshian was not for a lack of effort either. Don't remember the particulars on McCormick. In the end, no one gets every guy they want and no one can hang onto even the local guys they want (some kids want to get away from home for school). With hindsight, I would imagine Lucia would not have minded having Barnes on his team this year (he would have been the 7th or 8th leading scorer on their team all four years...and you are comparing different styles offensively for these teams).

I do agree Eaves comes up short on the recruiting trail and takes a lot of sloppy seconds, but I don't care where they come from....Wisconsin, Minnesota, Canada, Illinois, California, Europe....we just need a little upgrade in recruiting. You might be able to convince a high end kid like Kerdelies or McCabe to stay if your freshman class weren't Besse, Soleway, & Cavallini. No offense to those guys (I like Besse and think he'll evolve into a very good college player and Soleway has some potential), but they are not elite level blue chip studs (Besse at least is sniffing that caliber). My point is, if you can land a Kerdelies and McCabe caliber player every year, you have a better chance of having them hang around for their 3rd or 4th year if they have a team they know they have a real chance at winning a title or worst case it is not as painful when they leave because you have 4 or 5 guys of that caliber still on the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
            But my whole point is the head coach of our only in-state D1 hockey program that used to be the dream destination of all of Wisconsin's best players is now losing the competition for its best players.
            Was the most prized recruit to ever come out of your state coming over to the good side of the river the start of this? Actually kind of a serious question in terms of when you think this "issue" started.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
              Was the most prized recruit to ever come out of your state coming over to the good side of the river the start of this? Actually kind of a serious question in terms of when you think this "issue" started.
              While it is an interesting question, I don't think anyone who knew Little Phil ever thought he would end up at Wisconsin. With Kessel leaving the NTDP program and heading to college prior to his draft year, Little Phil was looking for a program that best fit his skill set. If you honestly look at the history of the two coaches involved, Mike Eaves had a history of playing a tight checking structured system where you win a lot of 3-2 games. Whereas Don Lucia teams got up and down the ice and played a lot of fire wagon hockey. Basically Phil thrived in games you won 7-6 where he scored a lot of goals! Easy decision from the outside looking in.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, how did we get Kerdiles? Was Wisc always somewhere he wanted to play, did Eaves go super hard for him or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                  You seemed to forget McCabe and his 25pts. Schmaltz was a lost cause before we even got started....once his brother flipped to follow the family legacy to Sue's a girls name, we weren't winning that recruiting battle. Butcher I know we were all over, but he prefered following the Sun Prairie connection of Steve Miller to DU. McCoshian was not for a lack of effort either. Don't remember the particulars on McCormick. In the end, no one gets every guy they want and no one can hang onto even the local guys they want (some kids want to get away from home for school). With hindsight, I would imagine Lucia would not have minded having Barnes on his team this year (he would have been the 7th or 8th leading scorer on their team all four years...and you are comparing different styles offensively for these teams).

I do agree Eaves comes up short on the recruiting trail and takes a lot of sloppy seconds, but I don't care where they come from....Wisconsin, Minnesota, Canada, Illinois, California, Europe....we just need a little upgrade in recruiting. You might be able to convince a high end kid like Kerdelies or McCabe to stay if your freshman class weren't Besse, Soleway, & Cavallini. No offense to those guys (I like Besse and think he'll evolve into a very good college player and Soleway has some potential), but they are not elite level blue chip studs (Besse at least is sniffing that caliber). My point is, if you can land a Kerdelies and McCabe caliber player every year, you have a better chance of having them hang around for their 3rd or 4th year if they have a team they know they have a real chance at winning a title or worst case it is not as painful when they leave because you have 4 or 5 guys of that caliber still on the roster.
                  I agree with much of what you said, we do get some blue chip players, but why year in and year out do we get no secondary scoring? Why is it that we have one line of scorers and then have to endure watching 3 lines of dump and grind hockey? After watching Eaves teams for years, I have a couple thoughts on the subject....

1. I don't think he recruits enough smaller/quicker forwards like BC and Duluth (during the Jack Connelly era), thereby reducing our team to a slow poor puck moving team.
                  2. If you watch his 3rd and 4th lines play, it is like groundhog day every season, never allowing for any creativity with the puck, just dump and send in one fore-checker while the F2 and F3 assume a defensive position. If you are not a blue chipper, why would you want to come to Madison to assume that role.
                  3. On that same theme, watch a game some time and watch closely how much ice time the lower lines actually get, He rides one PP, rarely give a second unit a chance. When a penalty ends or after a TV timeout, he almost always goes back to the top line, leaving his 3rd/4th lines to languish on the bench.

These may not seem like big issues, but if you are being recruited and are not a high NHL prospect, you see how he treats the guys who are going to be 4 year players and it is a big turn off to them. You want to attract more talent, bring in a coach who isn't afraid to take the leash off the players and let them grow offensively before their Senior year.

Comment

While it is an interesting question, I don't think anyone who knew Little Phil ever thought he would end up at Wisconsin.
                    A co-worker of mine's son played on Team WI as a goalie with Little Phil, and he has told me many times Little Phil had no intentions of going to UW.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      A co-worker of mine's son played on Team WI as a goalie with Little Phil, and he has told me many times Little Phil had no intentions of going to UW.
                      I don't think Phil ever played for T.WI
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                        Sorry, but I'm just not seeing it for next year. Even if all of Soleway, Besse, LaBate (and hell....you can even throw Zullnick in there) take GIGANTIC steps forward, your still not that close to Zengerle, Kerdlies, Mersch, Barnes, and McCabe productivity. Next years team will be pretty limitted in firepower. My realistic hope at this point is that a few guys do step up and with what appears to be a lot of rebuilding in the Big 10 (only Minny looks particularly strong....but who knows what they lose to the pros) we can work through some growing pains early and be over .500 by the end to have a strong foundation going into the following season.
                        I'm not either, sorry if it came across that way. I am not doom-and-gloom entirely, especially with the B16 teams (other than Minn) in flux, but I too think 14-15 will be another tough rebuilding year before more expectations in 15-16. I hope I'm wrong, I want to be wrong, but that's my take.
                        Go Badgers!

Comment

Per a Baggot tweet, Mark Osiecki chosen to oversee Team USA entry in the 2015 World Junior Championships. Also on his staff are Don Granato and Kevin Patrick.
                          Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                          Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                          sigpic
                          Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                          1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                            I don't think Phil ever played for T.WI
                            Yep. About 99% sure he went straight from the Capitols to the US Dev. Team. And Kessel was definitely in play for UW. His parents will tell you he went to Minny because he was very close with Stoa and Frazee, but I heard there were other factors involved. Like the brutal dryland conditioning under Eaves and style of play.

Comment

This is what I have been saying for some time....why is Eaves and company only getting one or max two blue chip prospects a year? Why does it seem that Wisconsin only gets the sloppy seconds on the in-state players? Look at the players from the state and the ones that he let get away....why is it that players from the state no longer want to play at Wisco?

Just a quick look at who we chose from in state and just a couple who had ties to the state and went elsewhere....

We kept:

Davidson: Red Shirt
                              Paape: 0-1-1
                              Hartzog: 1-0-1
                              Little: 2-6-8 Now I feel that Little was a great value for a partial scolly - made a significant contribution
                              Drake: 3-5-8
                              Navin: 4-5-9
                              Meuer: 3-5-8 Like Little, a large contributor for a player who got very little scholarship $$
                              Dahl: 4-15-19 Contributor in a lot of areas and a big jump in production in his Sr year, but ask your self if Minnesota or BC would have a 2nd line center
                              who scored 4 goals and 19 points for a season? Have our standards fallen that far?

Just a view of a couple who got away.....

Will Butcher 16 pts
                              Jordan Schmaltz 23 pts
                              Max McCormick 35 pts
                              Ian McCoshian 13 pts
                              Ross Mauermann 36 pts - Yeah I did not see this happening either...but threw it in anyway.

But my whole point is the head coach of our only in-state D1 hockey program that used to be the dream destination of all of Wisconsin's best players is now losing the competition for its best players. If we can win the war for talent at home how do you expect to challenge for the best players nationally??

I guess we will have to wait 4 more years for another senior laden team to make the NCAA's and underachieve!!

Pretty alarming isn't it? It's a big reason why I don't like what the state of the program is in right now. I've mentioned before that Eaves has gained a reputation of being a bit of a weirdo around the state, maybe that has caught up to him.

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
                                per a baggot tweet, mark osiecki chosen to oversee team usa entry in the 2015 world junior championships. Also on his staff are don granato and kevin patrick.
                                great opportunity for oz. Nice sconnie ring to the staff as a whole. Hope they do well.

Comment

Working...
                                X