Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Unlike a lot of folks I think Kerdiles should come back. Does any one think he can lace 'em up in the show tomorrow? I don't mean just show up. Most of the top liners in D-1 could show up and not look too silly in a game, but I mean play at a high level in the NHL? Personally I think offensively he's gifted enough to play, but I think his two way game still needs development. If he prefers doing that next year in the AHL, then Ok, but I'd advise him to come back and play another year under Eaves who is proven to be a very good teacher of the complete game.
    It's funny to think of stuff like that. When I think of all the forwards I saw in my days in Madison that I knew were destined to have an honest crack at regular NHL work, the names that pop into mind are: Joe Pavelski, Derek Stepan, Rene Bourque, Adam Burish, Jack Skille, Robbie Earl, Blake Geoffrion and Kyle Turris. There's probably a lot to talk about with all four of those guys (who was ready, who wasn't, who spent more/less time in the AHL than we expected). The short version is that the first four found regular NHL work with (I think) less than a season of AHL experience, and the second four either never really got regular NHL work, took a long time to get there or rode the NHL/AHL rollercoaster up and down the entire time since leaving Madison.

I don't think there should be any surprise that the two players on that list that lacked a true two-way game the most (Turris and Earl) belong in that second group and not the first.

But the reason I find this topic funny: No matter how much Kerdiles could or could not use another year of defensive development (and for the record: I think he's a better two-way player than some are giving him credit for), I don't expect it to factor much into his decision to sign a contract. He either stays because he feels he has something to prove, or he bolts because he thinks he can work his way into an NHL lineup.

Speaking of Brendan, in retrospect I wonder if this team wasn't just a Brendan Woods away from getting over the top? That kid came to play every night. And he would have pushed the lines up a level...
    Not long ago, I tried to envision a "what if" alternate history wherein a few of the recruiting/early departure events had happened differently. Not necessarily some of the stuff that, in hindsight, couldn't have happened any other way (should we really be that surprised that McB, McD, Schultz, Brendan Smith, Goloubef and Gardiner didn't stay for four years?). More like if Ryan Suter had stuck around instead of going pro during the lockout, or if "x" player or "y" player had stuck around, or if we were ever actually able to land some of the recruits that went elsewhere (Patrick Kane? Sam Gagner? Probably not likely. But someone like Brock Montpetit, who still could've played at least a solid role?).

The "what if" of Brendan Woods not bolting when he did is probably one of the most interesting ones. If only because it definitely did leave a hole in our lineup that would've been really nice to have had filled. Just think of how much nicer Chuck's recruiting chart would look with Brendan Woods filling a spot for one more year?

Post-script: I feel like there are some committed names missing from Chuck's recruiting chart. Am I on acid, or does that need updating?
    Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 03-31-2014, 03:57 PM.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Post-script: I feel like there are some committed names missing from Chuck's recruiting chart. Am I on acid, or does that need updating?
      You may be on acid, but the chart you linked to needs updating. In this post in the current recruiting thread, there is a more recent recruiting chart for forwards, defensemen, and goalies.

Comment

Sorry about that -- Just updated it. It's not perfect because we still don't know for sure on guys like Hughes and Freytag. Or even 100% on Boeser or Kunin for that matter. Obviously the early departures are just a guess.

Comment

I think you're so far off base on Jake that I don't even have to make a throw to the bag. Yes, he had one of his poorest games of the season against NoDak, but that's a pretty poor way to judge a player. High end skills, tough kid, all heart, easily one of the ten best blueliners in college hockey and likely will be logging big NHL minutes in a couple years. Geezus, the guy blocked a shot with his head a couple games back... You're saying you don't want a player like that on the team?
          Yea I wouldn't want a guy who passes bricks and loses the puck consistently in his zone. Such insanity....

That's the only aspect of the game I don't like. I think once he gets to center and beyond he is an excellent player. Then the mistakes aren't magnified as much. But until he improves with it in his third, which as a defender should be just a little bit important, I can't say I want to see him back there with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
            Obviously the early departures are just a guess.
            As it always is with early departures...

Think back on some of the guys we've had recently, and ask if Brendan Woods and Jason Clark were the two guys you thought would've been missing from this year's team. It's like trying to nail Jello to the wall.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by The-C2 View Post
              Such insanity....
              Yes, I'd say that's an accurate description. Should McCabe return he'll do so as the #1 or #2 (behind Kerdiles) returning scorer (8g 17a) which is in addition to his team leading 66 blocked shots. Three weeks ago Chis Dilks of SB Nation named McCabe #7 in his Best 100 NHL prospects list. That's the #7 player at any position in all of college hockey.

Should you get your wish and McCabe leaves, perhaps you can explain to us who you have in mind that will replace him on the roster and make the team better off than it would be with him back?
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

It's like trying to nail Jello to the wall.
                Just poke a nail through it and throw it in the freezer for an hour.

Hope that helps!
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Joseph LaBate instagramed this tonight. LINK

Comment

Joseph LaBate instagramed this tonight. LINK
                    that's awesome. He's a player that took significant strides this season and I think if he's lacing em up for UW come October he's going to be a dominant player.
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I see a lot of analysis of what went wrong this year. I don't think it was lack of leadership at all, I said earlier that I thought they were overrated earlier this year and I felt that same way after watching them play through the Big 6 tourney and the NCAA's. If you look at this year's schedule, we played on;y two teams who went to the NCAA's and our record against them was 2-3. Other than the two win's against Minnesota and maybe the wins vs Michigan, we played mostly second tier teams this year as even Miami and CC were really bad this season. Yes we won the the league tourney, but Penn State and Ohio State did all the heavy lifting by beating Minnesota and Michigan. We showed up with just average efforts in both games and were lucky to win the title. We showed up at the NCAA and played the same level of game as we did in the league tourney and got our *****es handed to us. Now that the season has ended, my conclusion stays the same....average team who's superstars did not have the broad enough shoulders to carry the rest of the team to the frozen 4.

Comment

Mersch signed today with the Kings. Barnes signed an AHL deal with San Antonio.

Will also be more news coming tonight.

Comment

Will also be more news coming tonight.
                          I assume the news echoed by the most followed media guy on Twitter

Comment

per twitter:

Jake McCabe expected to leave UW early and sign with Buff

Comment

Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
                              I see a lot of analysis of what went wrong this year. I don't think it was lack of leadership at all, I said earlier that I thought they were overrated earlier this year and I felt that same way after watching them play through the Big 6 tourney and the NCAA's. If you look at this year's schedule, we played on;y two teams who went to the NCAA's and our record against them was 2-3. Other than the two win's against Minnesota and maybe the wins vs Michigan, we played mostly second tier teams this year as even Miami and CC were really bad this season. Yes we won the the league tourney, but Penn State and Ohio State did all the heavy lifting by beating Minnesota and Michigan. We showed up with just average efforts in both games and were lucky to win the title. We showed up at the NCAA and played the same level of game as we did in the league tourney and got our *****es handed to us. Now that the season has ended, my conclusion stays the same....average team who's superstars did not have the broad enough shoulders to carry the rest of the team to the frozen 4.
                              I've said as much over the past 2 years that the team was not as good as some here were indicating. I wasn't saying it out of malice or anything other than the desire to see the best out of UW Hockey annually, and it hasn't been happening (the pieces have not been there, there have been some pieces but not enough lately). This was greeted w/derision by a few but I stand by that notion. The team was good, not great. They were about 3 guys short of being a great team imo.

Where I disagree with you however is leadership. Take any forward not named Kerdiles or Zengerle off this team and replace him w/a Burish or a Rohlik and I think they go further and outpace where they probably should have been. The difference then (my .02) is in the guys they're missing that would put them over the top.
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Not definitive, but expected and coming from a fairly reputable source.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNBobMcK...05922467655681

Comment

Working...
                                X