Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Leadership void.....every year we seem to have this same discussion, a discussion that a lack of leadership is this sr class's downfall. The more I think about it in general, the more I'm just not sure I buy it. As far as this year's sr's go, these guys improbably won their way into the tourney last year, I give them a lot of credit for that, they were left for dead. This year, they won the b6 playoff title in improbable fashion, playing from behind in both games, swept the rodents when they seemed unbeatable, and got on a great roll once the b6 games rolled around. They were in the b6 title hunt til the last weekend. The only aweful games were the Bawstin games. Back in 2010 the team laid a huge in the biggest game of the year, I don't think there was a leadership void on that team. Back in 1992 when they lost/shoulda won, that team was full of selfish players; they were lacking great leadership, but almost won it on pure talent alone. Plus I think it's hard to judge leadership. Nothing about Frankie screams leadership to me, but I'm not on the plane or bus, in the lockeroom or eating supper with these guys. He could suck, or he could be awesome. This is just my humble opinion.

Just imagine if the screw-ups on the first 2 sue goals don't happen and Mersch buries the sh break away, who knows. It's a game of capitaling on and minimizing mistakes. I have a hard time believing if UW plays Vermont, that they lose that game. It just didn't work out. It only works out for 1 team in the end. All I can ask for is make the ncaa's and let the chips fall where they may.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

...thoughts on next season. What about Grant Besse getting an "A"? It's important to have guys on the team who've won championships at prior levels be it HS or Juniors and to take advantage of that experience. With his performance as a JR in the MN HS tournament and winning it all, I'm guessing he could become a good on-ice leader
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I've now had about 60 hours to cool off. I'm cool, but VERY disappointed. I've read all the posts: lack of leadership, senior laden team flame-out, slow starts, lackluster efforts, inconsistent play, I agree with ALL of it. Not PC here guys, they didn't meet expectations...PERIOD. Last weekend MN was supposed to win 2; they kicked ***. BC is in the hunt year after year after year. Union has been strong recently. WI simply flamed out. We had the pieces but they weren't put together. Yes we've been to the NCAA the past few years, but IMO we should at least make it to the second round EVERY year. We shouldn't have to wait 16 years to win a title.

Regarding early departs, I wouldn't be surprised if those in question left. This year was the year.
        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
          I just can't side with the team that beat my team.... Maybe it was destiny that we allowed NoDak to get a berth.
          I'll often side with the team that beat my team, as it can reduce the sting (unless I really, really, really hate that team). For example, a lot of Minnesota fans felt better about their first round exit last year when it turned out that the Gophers lost to the eventual national champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
            It's nice and there is something to be said for conference pride, blah blah blah. However personally I would never return the favor. My team doesn't win then it better be someone with an interesting story that will not build up the opposing fanbases I typically enteract with. The lone exception was 2011 cheering for Duluth... but that was simply due to lack of other options.

Agreed. I would never root for the Gophers.

I rooted for Duluth because I never saw them as a direct rival and wanted them to get their first title.

Comment

Originally posted by TUSCHWI View Post
              I read today that Rumpel has signed a lease already for next year, so did McCabe. I know that doesn't mean anything solid but it does show some intent on maybe staying at this point.

If McCabe wants to be Captain, that's fine. But I want him to be the Captain and player he was at the World Juniors two years ago - he was great and led that team. I didn't consistently see the same player back at Wisconsin.
              No surprise with Rumpz. He has gotten better every year and one more will continue to do him wonders.

I have yet to see McCabe get anywhere near the dominance he had as captain america, which makes it all the more frustrating to watch him **** the puck away so much

Comment

I think it's a slippery slope for fans to be judging leadership based on anecdotal evidence. There's no doubt he inconsistency concerns are valid. Is that leadership? Probably not something anyone here can judge. I don't think anyone outside of that locker room truly knows. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                  I think it's a slippery slope for fans to be judging leadership based on anecdotal evidence. There's no doubt he inconsistency concerns are valid. Is that leadership? Probably not something anyone here can judge. I don't think anyone outside of that locker room truly knows. Just my 2 cents.
                  Slippery slope? It's downright silly. The only way I have any idea of who is or isn't a good leader on hockey teams is internet comments. Reddit users of /r/hockey are convinced that Jonathan Toews is one of the best, if not THE best, leaders in the NHL. Other than by reading other comments, how do they know? If a team wins more games, you pick out "leaders."

As far as who gets an 'A' or 'C' on his jersey, it matters a bit to the team, but I don't give a rat's behind. If he can talk to the refs, that's what matters. As far as the actual leadership qualities go, those don't depend on a letter stiched on a jersey. Henrik Zetterberg said it, and I think he knows a thing or two about how hockey teams work.
                  Last edited by WiscDC; 03-31-2014, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                    I have a hard time believing that the pattern of flat starts was coincidence, so there's something to blame for that inconsistency.

You're right that the most we can offer for reasoning is (at best) an educated guess and ultimately we don't really know anything about it. But there was something missing this year and it's a shame that they got through the entire season without an answer for it.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                      Slippery slope? It's downright silly. The only way I have any idea of who is or isn't a good leader on hockey teams is internet comments. Reddit users of /r/hockey are convinced that Jonathan Toews is one of the best, if not THE best, leaders in the NHL. Other than by reading other comments, how do they know? If a team wins more games, you pick out "leaders."

As far as who gets an 'A' or 'C' on his jersey, it matters a bit to the team, but I don't give a rat's behind. If he can talk to the refs, that's what matters. As far as the actual leadership qualities go, those don't depend on a letter stiched on a jersey. Henrik Zetterberg said it, and I think he knows a thing or two about how hockey teams work.
                      Agree with you and Chuck. While I still want to see McCabe's play be consistent with how he performed at WJC, I don't know anything about his locker room presence here.
                      Go Badgers!

Comment

The NCAA Tourney is such a crap shoot, especially these days. Luck has as much to do with winning a title as anything. In a one-and-done format, so many things can trip a team up and end your season. It was clear thruought the season that UW was in the top handful of teams in the nation. Nothing that happened in the Tourney changes that IMO. You collected some hardware, which is tough to do and more than most teams will be able to say when the season ends.

I had you guys going to the championship in my bracket, beating the Gophers in the Frozen Four. Just shows how much I respected the team you assembled this season.
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                          Team chemistry, leadership, coaching - doesn't matter as long as you win. This team didn't win when it counted, hence the questions.

I thought there was something missing with this team throughout the year, and its inability to win on the road and the constant inconsistent play even in wins. This team should have went farther, it didn't, so there are questions. I am not satisfied with first round exits from the tournament when the next few years are most likely going to be down. If we have to roller coaster, than you have to make hay every 3rd or 4th year, not lay eggs in the tournament, two years in a row.
                          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by The-C2 View Post
                            In regards to early departures, the only one I care about is McCabe.... and I'm hoping he leaves sooooo badly...

LaBate so far has said he's staying, not that that means much but it's a step.

Kerdiles hasn't said much and as strongly as I want him to stay, I want to see him go to the next level and be the star he will be.
                            I think you're so far off base on Jake that I don't even have to make a throw to the bag. Yes, he had one of his poorest games of the season against NoDak, but that's a pretty poor way to judge a player. High end skills, tough kid, all heart, easily one of the ten best blueliners in college hockey and likely will be logging big NHL minutes in a couple years. Geezus, the guy blocked a shot with his head a couple games back... You're saying you don't want a player like that on the team? Tell me you're not some sort of gopher infiltrator...

Like almost everyone I think Jake is going, but I won't be shocked to see him back. Unlike a lot of folks I think Kerdiles should come back. Does any one think he can lace 'em up in the show tomorrow? I don't mean just show up. Most of the top liners in D-1 could show up and not look too silly in a game, but I mean play at a high level in the NHL? Personally I think offensively he's gifted enough to play, but I think his two way game still needs development. If he prefers doing that next year in the AHL, then Ok, but I'd advise him to come back and play another year under Eaves who is proven to be a very good teacher of the complete game. That would be my advice, and if he needs a new agent, I'm available.

Labate will be back. Unlike Brendan Woods, he will be slated for a top role next year, and will get a lot of minutes. I can't see how it makes sense from a hockey perspective for him to go.

Speaking of Brendan, in retrospect I wonder if this team wasn't just a Brendan Woods away from getting over the top? That kid came to play every night. And he would have pushed the lines up a level...
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              Speaking of Brendan, in retrospect I wonder if this team wasn't just a Brendan Woods away from getting over the top? That kid came to play every night. And he would have pushed the lines up a level...
                              That crossed my mind a few times this season. He became a legitimate contributor last year...think about the depth! If he were to stay all 4 years, he'd be another guy for next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by The-C2 View Post
                                In regards to early departures, the only one I care about is McCabe.... and I'm hoping he leaves sooooo badly...
                                Hoping this is a joke.

Comment

Working...
                                X