Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    On the other hand, this group accomplished a lot this season. They were really fun to watch when they were clicking. Exciting plays, highlight reel goals, Big wins, a B1G trophy, and they gave the hometown fans a show almost every time out in the Kohl Center. Hopefully those folks will be back for more next year. No better venue in College hockey then being in a sold out KC.
    There's the big thing for this year. Figure out how to do that for fans away from the KC and you have got something.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      I've been trying to think of a way to sum up this season and this team, but I really can't put my finger on it completely. I was thinking post game about the coaching staff, I wonder what they were really thinking about? I guess they are all experienced enough at winning and losing that they can put some perspective to it, but if it were me, I still wouldn't be able to sleep. The pieces were there for a top four team and we swept one of the other three a month ago... yet for some reason this team had these games like this one where they just weren't the same guys... Obviously the staff has been aware of it all season and have been trying various remedies, but still haven't, and now never will, solve the riddle of what it is that makes this group go. The fact that it remains a mystery has to still be driving the staff crazy wondering what they could have done differently, what approach might have been the key...

Usually I'd have an opinion as to what might have been done, but I don't think I do in this case. The best I can come up with is saying that a casual observer might have said that we were lackadaisical at times. But I almost think it was a result of being too tight, and then overcompensating for it by trying not to hurry up too much, trying to be overly calm in the storm. But time and space go away quickly on small ice and in do or die games, and it just doesn't work that way. The interview before the third with Zengerle... he seemed to be so unconcerned... I don't buy it that a player in that situation is unconcerned deep down inside. Confident, ok... but unconcerned? No way. McCabe's play seemed the same way... slow down, get under control, think about what you're doing... well by then it's too late to make a play. It's all rather inexplicable to me. These guys are elite players...

Like I said, if I were on the staff I'd still be losing sleep trying to figure it out.

On the other hand, this group accomplished a lot this season. They were really fun to watch when they were clicking. Exciting plays, highlight reel goals, Big wins, a B1G trophy, and they gave the hometown fans a show almost every time out in the Kohl Center. Hopefully those folks will be back for more next year. No better venue in College hockey then being in a sold out KC.

Congrats to the Seniors on all they accomplished in their time here. These guys were tough down the stretch the last two years and that is a big part of what it takes. Unfortunately the final steps up the mountain will have to be taken by another team. Looking forward to it.
      Second this. Well said.
      Go Badgers!

Comment

My end of the season thoughts are similar to what others have said. I am dreading the early departures, but looking forward to next season. The schedule I think has something to do with it, with North Dakota being back on the it, and playing CC and Denver in Colorado again will be be great especially if the games are on TV. Someone pointed out that the B16 has a playoff advantage in that to get the NCAA auto bid you only have to win 3 games, unlike the 5 or 6 you have to in some other conferences. While this sounds petty I'll take it especially if 14-15 is as challenging as we expect it to be.
        Go Badgers!

Comment

Others might disagree with me and that is fine, but I think this team suffered from a lack (possibly a severe lack) of leadership. Looking back at 2006 and 2010 those teams were led by UW hockey legends in the making. Guys like Burish, Pavelski, Gilbert, Elliott, Geoffrion and McDonagh. I never felt the same way about this group of players, especially Frankie Simonelli. Those other teams motivated themselves, and I never really saw that from this team. The seniors had a lot of talent, but not like the 2006 and 2010 teams had a lot of talent, and I think this year's blue line was borderline horrible, but we didn't see if because IMHO the Big10 competition wasn't that great and Rumpel was so solid most of the season.

While next season might be rough, I think this departing group is some addition by subtraction. There has to be some leaders who step into the void and actually...well lead. I'm actually excited for the next group of freshmen, I want to see what they can bring to the ice each night, because this will be their team for the next four years, and I hope they make more of it than this group did.

Friday was not a surprise for me in any way.
          Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
          Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
          Originally posted by UWisco
          It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Is it bad that I want the gophers to win so the B6 is well represented? Maybe the Wisconsin players seeing their rival win will fuel them for next season. Idk. Today I've been approached by a ton of people saying that they hope Wisconsin wins it all in basketball so they represent the B1G well.

Comment

In regards to early departures, the only one I care about is McCabe.... and I'm hoping he leaves sooooo badly...

LaBate so far has said he's staying, not that that means much but it's a step.

Kerdiles hasn't said much and as strongly as I want him to stay, I want to see him go to the next level and be the star he will be.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                Is it bad that I want the gophers to win so the B6 is well represented? Maybe the Wisconsin players seeing their rival win will fuel them for next season. Idk. Today I've been approached by a ton of people saying that they hope Wisconsin wins it all in basketball so they represent the B1G well.
                I don't think it's bad, but I HATE putting up with tArrogance. Going back to the 70's, I've always respected the Fighting Sioux, or whoever they are this week, and always rooted for them if UW was out, but this year with B1G hockey ****, I've got to think about it. At this point I'm still with NoDak.
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...b7263625b.html

A look toward next year.
                  WISCONSIN BADGERS
                  NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                  WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                  WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                  B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                  Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                    I don't think it's bad, but I HATE putting up with tArrogance. Going back to the 70's, I've always respected the Fighting Sioux, or whoever they are this week, and always rooted for them if UW was out, but this year with B1G hockey ****, I've got to think about it. At this point I'm still with NoDak.
                    I just can't side with the team that beat my team.... Maybe it was destiny that we allowed NoDak to get a berth.

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                      I'll be cheering for the Badgers. Congrats on making the Frozen Four, by the way. That's big time. Think you guys have a good shot at winning it all too!
                      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        I'll be cheering for the Badgers. Congrats on making the Frozen Four, by the way. That's big time. Think you guys have a good shot at winning it all too!
                        Are they playing basketball on ice now too?
                        University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by The-C2 View Post
                          In regards to early departures, the only one I care about is McCabe.... and I'm hoping he leaves sooooo badly...

LaBate so far has said he's staying, not that that means much but it's a step.

Kerdiles hasn't said much and as strongly as I want him to stay, I want to see him go to the next level and be the star he will be.
                          I read today that Rumpel has signed a lease already for next year, so did McCabe. I know that doesn't mean anything solid but it does show some intent on maybe staying at this point.

If McCabe wants to be Captain, that's fine. But I want him to be the Captain and player he was at the World Juniors two years ago - he was great and led that team. I didn't consistently see the same player back at Wisconsin.
                          Go Badgers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                            Ooops... Sorry, too much hockey on my mind
                            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                              Now that would be fun to watch
                              Go Badgers!

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                                It's nice and there is something to be said for conference pride, blah blah blah. However personally I would never return the favor. My team doesn't win then it better be someone with an interesting story that will not build up the opposing fanbases I typically enteract with. The lone exception was 2011 cheering for Duluth... but that was simply due to lack of other options.

Comment

Working...
                                X