Michigan @ Penn State, an actual game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan @ Penn State, an actual game thread

No idea why there have been so few B1G weekend game threads, so even if this is the only post to this weekend's match up, I thought it needed to be started.

On our front, Michigan continues to struggle scoring goals. Getting a lot of shots on net, not so much behind the goalie. We way outshot Wisconsin on Saturday, but it took a late goal to tie the game and send into OT and the shootout. Odd. The power play controls the puck well, but that's about it- some shots, few get to the goalie, none go in. The D looks better, but still has it's moments.

Penn State is in their second season as a full D1 program. Outside of the new rink and no B1G win, I know nothing about them.

So lets talk.

Re: Michigan @ Penn State, an actual game thread

I am beyond excited for this coming weekend. Myself and at least 8 others from section 17 will be making our way to Penn State.
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

Comment

4 more days until the first ever hockey meeting between Penn State and Michigan.

any other comments besides that? Anyone from Penn State here anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        4 more days until the first ever hockey meeting between Penn State and Michigan.

any other comments besides that? Anyone from Penn State here anymore?
        Haven't seen any PSU'ers here for some time, unfortunately.

I'll say this about them: Playing them is much harder then it seems it should be. They can pack it in and make it tough in their own end, they never see a shot they don't want to take and they shoot so much it makes you nervous the whole time. When they play well, watching them just makes you believe that one of these nights the puck luck is going to go all their way and they are going to jump all over someone. You just don't want it to be you. Unless you get up a couple of goals early, it's weirdly uncomfortable the entire game.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

I'll say this about them: Playing them is much harder then it seems it should be. They can pack it in and make it tough in their own end, they never see a shot they don't want to take and they shoot so much it makes you nervous the whole time. When they play well, watching them just makes you believe that one of these nights the puck luck is going to go all their way and they are going to jump all over someone. You just don't want it to be you. Unless you get up a couple of goals early, it's weirdly uncomfortable the entire game.
          This.
          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

And at this point, that's how they should play. It's a lot easier to play a clamp down defensive game than a flowing offensive game- so when you have all of two seasons of experience and talent- well that's what we should expect.

Which does not bode all that well for our current state of play- shoot, shoot, shoot, and shoot, and get two goals per +40 shots. ugh.

Comment

And at this point, that's how they should play. It's a lot easier to play a clamp down defensive game than a flowing offensive game- so when you have all of two seasons of experience and talent- well that's what we should expect.

Which does not bode all that well for our current state of play- shoot, shoot, shoot, and shoot, and get two goals per +40 shots. ugh.
              They are not UAH where they are just packing it in and hoping for a 1-0 or 2-1 game. You guys push it as well as anyone and yet they average almost 3 more shots/game than MI at 36. The pucks just keep coming.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

We played Penn State last weekend and they did seem to struggle in a lot of areas. There wasn't any one player that I saw who stood out above the others as a real talent. I feel they just need time to come together as a team and get recruits there. It's hard to play competitively against teams in the conference who have had programs much longer than you have. We celebrated our programs 50th last weekend and Michigan's has been around at least twice as long.
                Sorry Penn State I'm simply being objective here but I predict a Michigan sweep.

Comment

Are you sure? Are you sure this not actually a traveshamockery of a game thread?

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                    Are you sure? Are you sure this not actually a traveshamockery of a game thread?
                    When started, I would call it an actual game thread. But it looks to not actually end up as one.

Actually, the reason I use the word 'actually' is because we've only had a couple of game threads for UM games. which seems really odd. The two Wisconsin weekends were in each of our team threads.

Where is eveyrone?

Comment

I'll third that. Sums up exactly how I felt when they played Minnesota.

Comment

It's Penn State, why?
                        Originally posted by alfablue
                        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                          Are there threads on USCHO that aren't a traveshamockery?
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G
                          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                          2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                            It's Penn State, why?
                            It's also a hockey weekend, why not?

Comment

It's also a hockey weekend, why not?
                              You both have it wrong it's "Why Western?"
                              Whiney Ferris Knuckle-dragger:"You're exactly right, the WMU students & fans are out of control. The Lawson Lunatics are a bunch of wild animals with zero class or civility"

Comment

Working...
                              X