Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Originally posted by thegeese View Post
    These 2 articles showed up online today. Personally I think he is rated too low in each article. He leads Hockey East in D scoring and 2nd in the D 1 Nation for blocked shots. I don't think I have ever seen that combo before. Knodel's stats are 26 pts and 84 Blks- better than or equal to any mentioned.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...aa-defensemen/

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...0/#more-104437
    Interesting that there are not any D-men in the top 42 scorers in Div 1 this season. Steven Weinstein, Jr at Bentley, leads with 1-33=34, followed by Gavin Bayreuther, Fr at St. Lawrence, with 8-25-33. TvR, not for the leg injury, would have been right up there with Weinstein and Bayreuther. All three of these guys are undrafted by the NHL, I believe.

Comment

Gonna be honest I am very impressed with Knodel and I don't say that often about opposing players. Good size good in his own end and pretty decent offensive contributions.
      Originally posted by reBlur
      the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Any idea if we can make the NCAA's with a sweep or 2-1 with NU in Durham and lose first round at the Garden (HE Semi's)? Or would we have to beat NU twice and win at least one in Boston to make it among the top final 16?

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatfan_GoNH View Post
          Any idea if we can make the NCAA's with a sweep or 2-1 with NU in Durham and lose first round at the Garden (HE Semi's)? Or would we have to beat NU twice and win at least one in Boston to make it among the top final 16?
          Colgate, Michigan, & Notre Dame losing would help - if UNH wins two straight from Northeastern ...............

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatfan_GoNH View Post
            if we go 2-1 vs nu, need to win one in Boston.If we go 2-0 and lose in Boston I would guess our goose is cooked.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
              Colgate, Michigan, & Notre Dame losing would help - if UNH wins two straight from Northeastern ...............
              I do think if we get to Boston ,their would have been one upset, higher seed winning . Forcing UNH to play a PC or Lowell , Better than facing BC.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatfan_GoNH View Post
                So I did a simulator with certain results. It doesn't give you a 100% complete picture because all the tournament match-ups are not known right now and other leagues still have their season going on. There are just so many scenarios. But with how pairwise is now and with no other games played (Besides NU & UNH), if you UNH beats them the first two games then UNH would be 18th. We would jump ahead of Yale & NU. That still means Duluth, Minn. St, Colgate, & Vermont are ahead of UNH in order to get to 13th (finishing in the top 16 doesn't mean you automatically make the tournament since some leagues will have upsets in their respective tournaments). So obviously UNH really needs those teams to lose some games.

Another example I did was I had Duluth & Minn. state lose their last two regular season games and Vermont lose to UMass in the single elimination game. UNH sweeping NU would put them at 16th. Doesn't look too good for UNH to make the tournament.....

I would say UNH needs to sweep NU and win at least one at the garden and then still need some help/tons of luck around the country. If they beat NU 2-1 and win one at the garden they would need some real help elsewhere. Still probably wouldn't be enough. Not getting a win at the Garden would not be enough, I believe, to make the tournament. I think the chances of UNH making the tournament are very, very slim as it stands now. I think too much would have to go UNHs way and they would have to win a few games in a row. Two against NU, and as I said before, beating a good team 4 times in a row in a single season is difficult, and at least one game at the garden in the semis (a big game win).I would love to be proven wrong though....

But as Chuck has been saying, I would be fairly happy if they just make it to the garden. And I'd be pretty pumped if they make the finals.
                The nat'l tourny would just be a huge, unexpected bonus. Unfortunately I just don't see it happening though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan422 View Post
                  So I did a simulator with certain results. It doesn't give you a 100% complete picture because all the tournament match-ups are not known right now and other leagues still have their season going on. There are just so many scenarios. But with how pairwise is now and with no other games played (Besides NU & UNH), if you UNH beats them the first two games then UNH would be 18th. We would jump ahead of Yale & NU. That still means Duluth, Minn. St, Colgate, & Vermont are ahead of UNH in order to get to 13th (finishing in the top 16 doesn't mean you automatically make the tournament since some leagues will have upsets in their respective tournaments). So obviously UNH really needs those teams to lose some games.

Another example I did was I had Duluth & Minn. state lose their last two regular season games and Vermont lose to UMass in the single elimination game. UNH sweeping NU would put them at 16th. Doesn't look too good for UNH to make the tournament.....

I would say UNH needs to sweep NU and win at least one at the garden and then still need some help/tons of luck around the country. If they beat NU 2-1 and win one at the garden they would need some real help elsewhere. Still probably wouldn't be enough. Not getting a win at the Garden would not be enough, I believe, to make the tournament. I think the chances of UNH making the tournament are very, very slim as it stands now. I think too much would have to go UNHs way and they would have to win a few games in a row. Two against NU, and as I said before, beating a good team 4 times in a row in a single season is difficult, and at least one game at the garden in the semis (a big game win).I would love to be proven wrong though....

But as Chuck has been saying, I would be fairly happy if they just make it to the garden. And I'd be pretty pumped if they make the finals.
                  The nat'l tourny would just be a huge, unexpected bonus. Unfortunately I just don't see it happening though.
                  I have not done any pwr simulator runs, but have tracked the weekly pwr rankings, from which I note that before the debacle at Lake Whitt, UNH (14th) led UVM (20th) 45 to 40 in pwr points, then after first loss, UNH dropped to 13th tie and UVM climbed to 18th tie, with an exact flip-flop in pwr points 45 to 40, and after second loss, UNH dropped to 23rd tie and UVM climbed to 13th, with a lead of 46 to 35 pwr points. So, UNH lost 10 pwr points and UVM gained 6 after that weekend. Not saying that the same can happen with a two-game sweep of NU, but agree that anything less probably means second shut out from the NCAAs in three years. Gotta hope that the AHA is the only auto-seed conference, and agree that Colgate, Minn State, Duluth, and Yale need to flame out early, which could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    I have not done any pwr simulator runs, but have tracked the weekly pwr rankings, from which I note that before the debacle at Lake Whitt, UNH (14th) led UVM (20th) 45 to 40 in pwr points, then after first loss, UNH dropped to 13th tie and UVM climbed to 18th tie, with an exact flip-flop in pwr points 45 to 40, and after second loss, UNH dropped to 23rd tie and UVM climbed to 13th, with a lead of 46 to 35 pwr points. So, UNH lost 10 pwr points and UVM gained 6 after that weekend. Not saying that the same can happen with a two-game sweep of NU, but agree that anything less probably means second shut out from the NCAAs in three years. Gotta hope that the AHA is the only auto-seed conference, and agree that Colgate, Minn State, Duluth, and Yale need to flame out early, which could happen.
                    The only difference VT picked up extra points for road wins . Not sure how many UNH picks up with sweep of NU , maybe 6 points . Gets them close but could give a lot back with a loss in Boston . three out of four wins and will be close , much like this years home ice extravaganza.

Comment

• Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                      The only difference VT picked up extra points for road wins . Not sure how many UNH picks up with sweep of NU , maybe 6 points . Gets them close but could give a lot back with a loss in Boston . three out of four wins and will be close , much like this years home ice extravaganza.
                      Appreciate you guys mulling over potential NCAA possibilities...I know the past is past but that VT weekend...oh well! One thing I learned is ya never know and making it to Boston would be sweet! Here's to the "here and now"...Let's Go 'Cats!
                      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

A few confessions here ... first, while I understand and appreciate all the time and thought that everyone is putting into figuring out where UNH stands vis-a-vis qualification for the NCAA tourney, I honestly can't bring myself to root against other teams/programs who lie just ahead of UNH in the PWR, just so UNH can (again - as they did recently with HE QF home ice) "back into" a slot in that tourney. I mean ... Yale?? As in, "Defending D-1 Champions Yale"??? Should the defending champions be denied a shot at defending their D-1 title because some formula puts UNH only the slightest tick ahead of them? I dunno, that seems a bit squirrely to me.

And maybe I'd feel differently if UNH was more than a borderline-above-.500 team, and had a legitimately strong argument to qualify for the tourney. Honestly, they don't. I'm not criticizing anyone for how you folks may be approaching things - hey, above all else, we all should be fans on our own terms - but from my little corner of the world, if UNH doesn't make it to Boston OR even makes it to Boston but ends up falling short of an at-large NCAA bid, then c'est la vie. That's the expected consequences of being a mediocre .500 team over the better part of a five (5) month season.

Just win the QF's, let's have a good time in Boston, and if the 'Cats can break form and keep winning, we're all happy.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          A few confessions here ... first, while I understand and appreciate all the time and thought that everyone is putting into figuring out where UNH stands vis-a-vis qualification for the NCAA tourney, I honestly can't bring myself to root against other teams/programs who lie just ahead of UNH in the PWR, just so UNH can (again - as they did recently with HE QF home ice) "back into" a slot in that tourney. I mean ... Yale?? As in, "Defending D-1 Champions Yale"??? Should the defending champions be denied a shot at defending their D-1 title because some formula puts UNH only the slightest tick ahead of them? I dunno, that seems a bit squirrely to me.

And maybe I'd feel differently if UNH was more than a borderline-above-.500 team, and had a legitimately strong argument to qualify for the tourney. Honestly, they don't. I'm not criticizing anyone for how you folks may be approaching things - hey, above all else, we all should be fans on our own terms - but from my little corner of the world, if UNH doesn't make it to Boston OR even makes it to Boston but ends up falling short of an at-large NCAA bid, then c'est la vie. That's the expected consequences of being a mediocre .500 team over the better part of a five (5) month season.

Just win the QF's, let's have a good time in Boston, and if the 'Cats can break form and keep winning, we're all happy.
                          Personally Chuck I think we are just bored with no hockey this weekend so ya gotta spend your time doing something There is no doubt there's been good times...and some not so good times...with this season. Lots of ups, downs, personal bests (how about that Matt Willows and Nick Sorkin...Kevin G hitting his milestones, Brett P stepping up big time and playing well, etc)...that's what I'm excited about mostly. Looking forward to our shot at the playoffs and really aren't getting too worked up about it. In fact only bought tix for Friday night which is uncharacteristic for me but most likely I'll head to Sat's game . I'm also excited about the 'big picture' of the playoffs; who's gonna make the F4? Will a team like Yale from last year work their way up the ladder and win it? That kind of stuff suffices. Anyhoo, it's still fun to dream but ya gotta take care of the matters at hand. That will come soon enough. (I do have my personal favs for this weekend tho... )

Just bring on the hockey!
                          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            I wasn't saying I want other programs to fail. Maybe others were saying that but that wasn't what I was saying. I was answering the question (Any idea if we can make the NCAA's...?) the best I could. And for that to happen UNH would need the teams around them to lose.

But I also don't see a problem with rooting for 'scenarios' to go UNHs way. You're right, it does make it a little more difficult to do so when UNH hasn't played great this year and may not deserve it. And I also agree that UNH certainly doesn't deserve to be in the national tourny the way they've played. But if they win the games they need to win here coming up, why not root for other games to go in UNHs favor. I'm sure last year Yale was happy BU lost in the HE championship and they were probably rooting for Lowell. Otherwise they never would have had a shot at winning the NC. Sometimes you need to catch a break. And if those teams lose enough to put UNH ahead of them they can't blame UNH or us, the fans. That's on them and I wont feel bad about it. They're bubble teams and whether you like the formula or not UNH is still a bubble team and (somehow) has a shot (albeit a very slim chance) to make the tournament even with inconsistent play this year. Kinda like last year, real strong 1st half but bad 2nd half of the season but still made the tournament. That's the way the pairwise-cookie crumbles. But obviously if those teams don't lose I'm not going to lose any sleep over it because it's not like UNH will be getting screwed out of the tournament and should definitely have a spot. If they get to the garden everything after that is kinda a win-win.
                            Last edited by Ryan422; 03-06-2014, 03:47 PM.

Comment

I agree with you Ryan. I wasn't picking on you (or anyone else). And I understand hockeyref's point about not having any UNH games this weekend. I guess "bubble" tourney qualifications just do not interest me as much as it does others. Personally, I'd like to see less teams in the postseason, but I do under$tand thi$ buck$ the $low trend acro$$ the $port$ land$cape - both in the pro$ and college$.

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

"Vermont, though able to beat UMass by scores of 3-2 on the road and 2-0 at home, provides an even better story line as Kevin Sneddon will face his old associate head coach in UMass bench boss John Micheletto. That game will be televised live on NESN on Friday night.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2014/03/06/pres...#ixzz2vEAQvMCA
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X