Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Sadly oh so typical ... NU gacks one up against BU, UMaine takes the pipe at home vs. PC, leaving the door WIDE open for the "Cats to really move up and solidify home ice and the QF bye ... so UNH goes and gacks it up even worse to the last place team in the league.

Now UNH needs a win and help from Providence to avoid the play-in game, which looks like it would likely be against either Merrimack, UMass or BU at The Whitt. Should UNH lose again tomorrow night - and who here can honestly say that's not a possibility - the play-in is *clinched*, and I guess the *good* news is that it would still be against one of those three lower-tier teams.

I expected them to drop a point through a tie in one of these two games, but dropping two points on the first night takes it to a whole new level of gack-ability ... Groundhog Day comes to Durham yet again.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

.... and I repeat ....

NCAA Watcher .... can we start that annual thread yet?

Originally posted by sonar View Post
      "Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be." John Wooden
      Last edited by sonar; 03-01-2014, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        What is happening to Chuck's SOG hypothesis?
        Not sure what the relevance of SOG's were tonight, to be fair ... UNH outshoots MC in the first period, emerges scoreless, MC outshoots UNH decisively in the second (11-2) and does take a 2-0 lead. But UNH ties it up in the first 8 minutes of the 3rd period, and just when you think they *may* carry the momentum to cap off a nice come-from-behind road win in a must-win scenario against the last place team in the league (which is riding a 7 game losing streak, and had lost 9 of their last 10 games) ... within a minute they give it up, and can't find an equalizer in 11 minutes that follow.

This is all about a program that simply doesn't know how to win a big game, and really hasn't won a big game of any real importance since 2003 (last Hockey East tourney title, last trip to the FF Finals). Where have you gone, Steve Saviano ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Sadly oh so typical ... NU gacks one up against BU, UMaine takes the pipe at home vs. PC, leaving the door WIDE open for the "Cats to really move up and solidify home ice and the QF bye ... so UNH goes and gacks it up even worse to the last place team in the league.

Now UNH needs a win and help from Providence to avoid the play-in game, which looks like it would likely be against either Merrimack, UMass or BU at The Whitt. Should UNH lose again tomorrow night - and who here can honestly say that's not a possibility - the play-in is *clinched*, and I guess the *good* news is that it would still be against one of those three lower-tier teams.

I expected them to drop a point through a tie in one of these two games, but dropping two points on the first night takes it to a whole new level of gack-ability ... Groundhog Day comes to Durham yet again.
          My guess is we are looking at a home play in game and 2000 fans show up. Some genius in the administration takes note and says, "What is going on over there at the Whit? Should we do something? How could this have gone on for so long?" Who is responsible for this negativity?
          --- Maybe we need to form an investigative committee to get at the root of what could be labeled as a "stale" athletic product."

Comment

Merrimack had only scored 26 goals in their previous 18 Hockey East games. Tonight UNH gave them 4 more to add to their total. This was the only game that Merrimack scored 4 goals against a HE opponent. Can UNH contain their potent offense tomorrow???

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
              Merrimack had only scored 26 goals in their previous 18 Hockey East games. Tonight UNH gave them 4 more to add to their total. This was the only game that Merrimack scored 4 goals against a HE opponent. Can UNH contain their potent offense tomorrow???
              Typical UNH, they'll go out and win decisively 4-0 or thereabouts. And still end up in the play-in game.

I don't even want to consider the "house of horrors" that awaits UNH in a home play-in game ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                Not sure what the relevance of SOG's were tonight, to be fair ... UNH outshoots MC in the first period, emerges scoreless, MC outshoots UNH decisively in the second (11-2) and does take a 2-0 lead. But UNH ties it up in the first 8 minutes of the 3rd period, and just when you think they *may* carry the momentum to cap off a nice come-from-behind road win in a must-win scenario against the last place team in the league (which is riding a 7 game losing streak, and had lost 9 of their last 10 games) ... within a minute they give it up, and can't find an equalizer in 11 minutes that follow.

This is all about a program that simply doesn't know how to win a big game, and really hasn't won a big game of any real importance since 2003 (last Hockey East tourney title, last trip to the FF Finals). Where have you gone, Steve Saviano ...
                Or, Tyson Teplitsky, who scored the unassisted goal to beat BU 1-0 in the HE final?

And, that was the team that had nine forwards with 18 or more points, including Gare's 51, C Hemingway's 47, and Saviano's 39. And, a bunch of stay-at-home defensemen who made Ayers' life easier in net.
                Last edited by Snively65; 02-28-2014, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                  .... and I repeat ....

NCAA .... can we start that annual thread yet?
                  Hire McCloskey! Oh, wait...

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Or, Tyson Teplitsky, who scored the unassisted goal to beat BU 1-0 in the HE final?
                  Believe Ryan Whitney was last seen in Florida this season before being placed on waivers. Guy will never have to buy a beer in Durham again as long as he lives.
                  "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                  Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                  NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                  EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                  AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                  1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

I'll say this, Mc is not what their record says they are. I was at the game and saw it with my own eyes. Having said that, I think UNH is what their record says they are. A 500 team! Scott you said it first I think. Anyway, get a win tonight and move on. Who wudda thunk BU would take one from NU. Oh wait, I did Lesson? Anything can happen moving forward. HE is tough top to bottom that's for sure.
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      I'll say this, Mc is not what their record says they are. I was at the game and saw it with my own eyes. Having said that, I think UNH is what their record says they are. A 500 team! Scott you said it first I think. Anyway, get a win tonight and move on. Who wudda thunk BU would take one from NU. Oh wait, I did Lesson? Anything can happen moving forward. HE is tough top to bottom that's for sure.
                      I would agree with your point e cat; MC controlled the ice partic in the 2nd. UNH (by their own admission) came out flat and played in their heels it seemed most of the game and the score indicated that. We did have our chances but seemed thwarted most of the night. Tale of the season to be sure. Here's to tonight and beyond as you say. Yep HE is tough but ya gotta come to play each and every night. Sadly consistency hasn't been our strong suit....
                      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Didn't see the 99?
                        Should have turned left at the light at Bertucci's (Rt. 133/125) for 99 and Joe Fish. There's tons of restaurants within a few miles/minutes of Merrimack College, all on Rt. 114 (Turnpike St.) or Rt 133 (Andover St.). I don't know why one poster was mentioning 125 or Andover center?
                        If you turned right onto Rt. 125 after the MC campus... there's NOTHING on that road.
                        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

I would agree with your point e cat; MC controlled the ice partic in the 2nd. UNH (by their own admission) came out flat and played in their heels it seemed most of the game and the score indicated that. We did have our chances but seemed thwarted most of the night. Tale of the season to be sure. Here's to tonight and beyond as you say. Yep HE is tough but ya gotta come to play each and every night. Sadly consistency hasn't been our strong suit....
                          Ya. Go figure!!

I have no idea where they land in the playoffs.HE is too difficult to grapple with

Comment

So I am in Nashua for the weekend and drove down to check out Greg's excellent directions ! Didn't see the 99? Well have fun everybody and Let's Go 'Cats!
                            I had to put the 99 in my Garmin to find it. Made it there and saw Greg Ambrose. Had a couple of beers and an app. Too bad you didn't show up

Comment

Originally posted by Dropkicknh View Post
                              As depressing as this is, and it really is depressing, there are still some enticing scenarios, the first and least likely is UNH in the 6-11 game vs Merrimack followed by a series against Northeastern. The other possibility which I think is more likely is a win tomorrow and Providence gaining one more point on Northeastern. That would put UNH in the 4-5 at Northeastern (If Northeastern ties BU) or at the Whit (With an NU loss) with the bye to rest.

It seems bleak but a Win with a BU win and a Providence win gives UNH the 4. Obviously there are countless other scenarios out there but hosting NU is what we should all be hoping for.

Not to sound corny but why come this far to lose hope with one game left. If we've all followed them this long whats 24 more agonizing hours?
                              So you're tellin' me we've got a chance

Comment

Another sad chapter in the continuing slide of UNH Hockey. I knew in my gut that they were done after the Vermont debacle. But I let my heart get the best of me thinking of a quite reasonable scenario that splits at either Maine/PC or NU/BU would open the door wide enough to get UNH a first round bye and home ice in the quarterfinals. Well, PC and BU certainly held up their end of the bargain. But UNH? All they had to do was beat up on a decidedly mediocre Merrimack. But they couldn't do it. As mentioned, they had two weeks too prepare. I wonder if any of that preparation entailed practicing someplace other than the Whit. Perhaps Dover ice Arena or Exeter in order to get a better feel of a small rink. Believe it or not, back in the glory days stuff like that actually happened. I bet not so much now. UNH looked so ill prepared last night, they seemed surprised at how quickly the play transitioned from zone to zone. A very poor performance, especially when the stakes were so high. Obviously I shouldn't be surprised given what has been going on the last few years. Gotta start believing my eyes and head, not my heart.

One other thing. Earlier in the week on this thread it was pointed out that the Merrimack website was saying that there were limited tickets available for both games this weekend. I think the numbers I saw on Wednesday were 78 and 83 respectively. So I took the initiative to contact my buddies, get their okay and buy the tickets on line. So we get to the arena last night, a bit late, walk in and, lo and behold, the place is half empty. We actually wound up sitting at center ice, five rows up, great view of the game but not the "SRO" tickets I was sold. Then, at the end of the night, the announcer as the audacity to congratulate everybody on another sellout crowed. I stood up, looked around and, literally there were rows behind us that had maybe 2 or 3 people sitting in them. I guess the question is when did Larry Lucchino take over the operation of Volpe Arena?
                                Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 03-01-2014, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X