Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef
    At least it wouldn't be the first time...sorry not very charitable. But we are tied for 4th with Maine ( they lost tonight)...what's the HE scenario? Ryan?
    don't even try to figure out permeation's unh can't fight itself through a wet paper bag.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Before all you wildcat fans go jump off a bridge after being swept by UVM - you should understand that UVM has been dominant in puck possession, shots, and scoring chances in the majority of it's losses this season. where they have failed is in goaltending despite the reasonable save % - lots of nice saves, not enough of the routine with way too many soft goals that killed the HE record. I have not seen much of UML yet but watched them tonight and UVM is far superior to what I saw from UML tonight except in net. BC scares me though. Would somebody please put a body on Gaudrea.....

Good luck the rest of the way, UVM needs your PWR help to stay inside the bubble!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
        Before all you wildcat fans go jump off a bridge after being swept by UVM - you should understand that UVM has been dominant in puck possession, shots, and scoring chances in the majority of it's losses this season. where they have failed is in goaltending despite the reasonable save % - lots of nice saves, not enough of the routine with way too many soft goals that killed the HE record. I have not seen much of UML yet but watched them tonight and UVM is far superior to what I saw from UML tonight except in net. BC scares me though. Would somebody please put a body on Gaudrea.....

Good luck the rest of the way, UVM needs your PWR help to stay inside the bubble!!!!
        Puck possession was key tonight I thought was impressed with UVM's game all weekend. Good luck as well...As per BC be afraid...be very afraid!
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Sorry Snively can't help you there but can someone tell me are we totally out of it for home ice? Can't even get worked up about it tonight...see I am learning...
          Well, here's the scenario:

#4 (T)UNH has 16 points with four games left. Win all four (LOL ) UNH finishes with 24 points.

#1 BC - Currently with 27 points with one game in-hand on UNH. As MC Hammer once said, "can't touch this".
          #2 UML - 20 points with one game in-hand on UNH. Doubtful that they will collapse and lose four out of the five remaining games. Even if UNH wins all four and UML only wins two, they win the head-to-head scenario.
          #3 NU - 17 points with one game in-hand on UNH. Only if all of the stars are in alignment and they collapse too.
          #4(T) Maine - 16 points, but three games in-hand on UNH. Not getting a warm and fuzzy here.
          #6 PC - 15 points, and two games in-hand on UNH. See above.
          #7 UVM - 14 points (thanks UNH for the 4 this weekend!!), and two games in hand on UNH. UNH loses any tie-breaker here obviously.

So....while UNH is not quite eliminated mathematically from home ice (need to be in the top 5), the numbers I'm afraid to say are against them.

And I honestly do not think that UNH is going to win all four of their remaining games. I hope that I am wrong.
          UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post

#4 (T)UNH has 16 points with four games left. Win all four (LOL ) UNH finishes with 24 points.

#1 BC - Currently with 27 points with one game in-hand on UNH. As MC Hammer once said, "can't touch this".
            #2 UML - 20 points with one game in-hand on UNH. Doubtful that they will collapse and lose four out of the five remaining games. Even if UNH wins all four and UML only wins two, they win the head-to-head scenario.
            #3 NU - 17 points with one game in-hand on UNH. Only if all of the stars are in alignment and they collapse too.
            #4(T) Maine - 16 points, but three games in-hand on UNH. Not getting a warm and fuzzy here.
            #7 UVM - 14 points (thanks UNH for the 4 this weekend!!), and two games in hand on UNH. UNH loses any tie-breaker here obviously.

So....while UNH is not quite eliminated mathematically from home ice (need to be in the top 5), the numbers I'm afraid to say are against them.

And I honestly do not think that UNH is going to win all four of their remaining games. I hope that I am wrong.
            Thanks Scott that's what I wanted to know have a good night all!
            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Tough series for you guys this weekend. UVM is tougher than they appear.

Your upcoming opponents are atrocious, so you haven't completely lost hope. Maine has a tougher road to hoe.

Comment

• Josh's team tied for 26th in PWR with 33 points, 2 points behind UNH, tied for 23rd.

Comment

"#19 Vermont Sweeps #20 UNH"
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                    I have not seen much of UML yet but watched them tonight and UVM is far superior to what I saw from UML tonight except in net.
                    Good point.

Except for Lowell having the better team offense, team defense, save percentage, power play, and record, UVM is FAR superior.

Why even make the trek to Burlington on the final weekend of the season? Surely the dominance of a team that's .500 in league will shatter the confidence of a team that has four loses since Oct 25. and ruin them for the Hockey East playoffs. We'll just ignore the fact that Lowell is 4-1-1 against Vermont in the Bazin era and swept the Catamounts in Burlington just last season and concede the season series now, since Lowell didn't impress you enough in the one game you've seen them.

Dope.
                    Lowell Forever
                    Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Like Scott basically said... the situation does not look good to say the least. Basically UNH needs to win the reaming 4 games and I'm afraid with the inconsistent play they have shown all year that is a tough thing to ask for. BU is always a tough opponent for UNH too. Say they find a way to win out. They will finish with 24 points.

Above us:
                      Northeastern has: 1 @Mass, 2 vs Maine, H&H with BU. Say they finish 3-2... they finish with 23 points.
                      Tied:
                      Maine has: 2 vs MC, 2 @ NU, 2 vs PC. Say they finish 3-3 (or 3-2-1)... they finish with 22(or 23) points
                      Below us:
                      Providence has: 2 vs. ND, H&H with Mass, and 2 at Maine. Say they go 4-2 over their last six... they finish with 23 points.
                      Vermont has: 2 vs BC, 2 @ MC, 2 vs. Lowell. Say they go 4-2 over their last six... they finish with 22 points.

I think most people would agree BC and Lowell are pretty well out of the picture....
                      So UNH needs two of those scenarios to play out in order to get a bye (top 5) and three scenarios to play out to get home ice (top 4).

This is a possible scenario I'm looking at to get home ice....
                      Vermont can win both against MC and split in the their two other series(BC, Lowell)(or get swept in one). End w/ 22 points
                      Providence can win both against UMass but then needs to split the other two series (ND&ME). End w/ 23 points
                      Maine can with both against MC, then get swept by NU, and split with PC. End w/ 22 points

(I apologize to Merrimack. No offense that I have you losing your last six games in my scenario. If you could get a win against Maine and or Vermont that'd be cool.)

Now that is some glass half full kind of stuff right there. Trust me I'm not senile and I know how the annual story goes for UNH. But as Scott said, were not eliminated mathematically and I'm just running through a possible scenario of how things "could" end. Now if UNH plans on finishing with anything less than 24 points then they will need some real magic from other teams in order to get a bye or home ice. I'm not going to even bother trying to plan out that situation. It's prob. still possible but highly unlikely/not a chance UNH would get home ice with less than 24 points(even w/ 24 points it's going to be a stretch). Stating the obvious... the easiest way to get home ice is for UNH to win their last 4 games and get some help else where. Yes, a lot of things need to align/ fall into place but not completely out of the question. Now for reality... I Personally think I just wasted like 30 minutes of my life because UNH will prob go 2-2 over this stretch,finish in 7th, and make all other scenarios(& this post) essentially useless/insignificant. Life of a UNH fan...

Anyway..these scenarios are getting harder and harder to do after every game lost... and it's a shame that UNH not only has to go out and win their last 4 game (highly unlikely IMO as I said) but also need a lot of help/ luck from other teams and how they finish down the stretch. This weekend was just demoralizing. Nothing against Vermont because they're a good team, but to come away from this weekend with nothing is horrible. And at HOME! Makes it inexcusable....

Comment

I circle the UVM games every year going back to my college days. Unfortunately I don't think the team did this year. When was the last time if ever UVM swept UNH at home? I'm not sure it has ever happened!
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Jesus did the page for February stick to the January page when Umile turned his calendar this month?
                          Originally posted by reBlur
                          the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                            Jesus did the page for February stick to the January page when Umile turned his calendar this month?
                            come on lol, hmmmmm, revert back to last year. How well in position was unh last year only to completely loose out on home ice.Same coach just one year older..No excuse.....

Comment

As others have said, this is just an average team in a tough league - likable, but average. Nothing comes easy, no ability for late game dramatics. No matter where they land in the stack at the end of the regular season, all that's left after this weekend is the hard way.
                              Shrink-The-Rink, Win a Title

Comment

• Originally posted by bakchk20 View Post
                                As others have said, this is just an average team in a tough league - likable, but average. Nothing comes easy, no ability for late game dramatics. No matter where they land in the stack at the end of the regular season, all that's left after this weekend is the hard way.
                                I agree about Hockey East being a tough league; six teams in top 16 PWR, although Maine would get bumped by the AHA auto seed. I do not think even winning out will move them up much from their tie for 23rd with DU in the PWR. So, the Cats will need to take two of three probably not on home ice and then win at least one game at the Garden to move up to 15th in PWR. But, more likely they will need to win the Hockey East tournament for the auto seed to the NCAAs, although ironically doing so would likely bump them them up to 12th and a third seed in a regional. Quite the opposite to last year, when UNH had a much higher PWR from their better OOC record. So, I think that realistically we are looking from the outside at the NCAAs for the second time in three years.

Comment

Working...
                                X