Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Cornell head coach Mike Schafer said today that forward Dustin Mowrey is out for the year. He had 6 goals and 14 assists in 23 games. Mowrey last played March 1 vs Harvard.

Comment

Some audio:

Rick Bennett media conference call: http://yourlisten.com/unionhockeyblo...nce-call-31814

Mike Schafer media conference call: http://yourlisten.com/unionhockeyblo...nce-call-31814

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
        Cornell head coach Mike Schafer said today that forward Dustin Mowrey is out for the year. He had 6 goals and 14 assists in 23 games. Mowrey last played March 1 vs Harvard.
        Tough for Dustin; as a senior he ends his career in civies.

The guys who filled in during Clarkson did very well; although it hurts it's part of the sport.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I know that exams are this week. Anyone know when the team is heading up to Lake Placid?
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            I know that exams are this week. Anyone know when the team is heading up to Lake Placid?
            Tomorrow (Wednesday) night.

On that note, there are practices on Thursday and Friday that are open to the public:

PRACTICE TIMES - Open to the Public and Media.
            Thursday, March 20
            11 a.m. - Noon - Union
            12:15 - 1:15 p.m. - Quinnipiac
            1:30 - 2:30 p.m. - Colgate
            2:45 p.m. - 3:45 p.m. - Cornell

Friday, March 21
            9:15 - 10 a.m. - Cornell
            10:15 - 11 a.m. - Union
            11:15 - noon - Colgate
            12:15 - 1 p.m. - Quinnipiac

http://www.ecachockey.com/men/champi...0111_Fan_Guide

Comment

Union had press conferences late this afternoon ahead of Friday's semifinal game with Cornell:

Rick Bennett - http://t.co/wUwoiLjRDc

Max Novak / Dan Carr / Mat Bodie - http://t.co/5ASrn2D73e

Comment

Colin Stevens and Mike Vecchione pick up ECAC Hockey weekly honors:

http://bit.ly/OyrDie

Comment

Cornell will be very tough. They are physically the biggest team in College Hockey in both height and weight. The last time we played them we needed stretcher bearers to carry off our dead and wounded during the ceasefire. I think we lost three starters from that game. It was very costly. Cornell is well disciplined, always follows through on their checks and has been a "top 10" on team defense (8th currently) in College hockey. That defense is anchored by one of the premier college hockey goalies, Andy Iles. It is very hard to get shots by him as Clarkson recently found out. Early in the year their power play led the nation. They are ahead of us on the penalty kill.

Most troubling of all, Cornell always plays at another level when in tournaments or big games. We saw this two years ago when they upset Michigan in the NCAA's. One of the reasons is that they are so well coached. Make no mistake about that. We are also going up against one of the best coaches in College hockey. If there is a way for Cornell to win, he will have it figured.

We have several positives on our side and I think we all know what they are but as Coach Bennett said in one of the news conferences, the team that wants it the most, when the puck drops .....

It was to our advantage to play a very big and tough and physical Dartmouth team as preparation.

The magic number for us on this segment of the quest is 2. Are we still hungry? I know our seniors are ....

If we manage a win against Cornell ..... the heros are going to be The Captain and Ghost and Stevens. With the big ice we need to take away the added time and space from the Cornell forwards. Win or lose, I hope our casualty count is not high.

I am driving from Boston Friday morning. Hope to see you all there.

Go Dutchmen !!!!!
                  Last edited by Dutchman; 03-20-2014, 09:52 AM.
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Cornell will be very tough. They are physically the biggest team in College Hockey in both height and weight. The last time we played them we needed stretcher bearers to carry off our dead and wounded during the ceasefire. I think we lost three starters from that game. It was very costly. Cornell is well disciplined, always follows through on their checks and has been a "top 10" on team defense (8th currently) in College hockey. That defense is anchored by one of the premier college hockey goalies, Andy Iles. It is very hard to get shots by him as Clarkson recently found out. Early in the year their power play led the nation. They are ahead of us on the penalty kill.

Most troubling of all, Cornell always plays at another level when in tournaments or big games. We saw this two years ago when they upset Michigan in the NCAA's. One of the reasons is that they are so well coached. Make no mistake about that. We are also going up against one of the best coaches in College hockey. If there is a way for Cornell to win, he will have it figured.

We have several positives on our side and I think we all know what they are but as Coach Bennett said in one of the news conferences, the team that wants it the most, when the puck drops .....

It was to our advantage to play a very big and tough and physical Dartmouth team as preparation.

The magic number for us on this segment of the quest is 2. Are we still hungry? I know our seniors are ....

If we manage a win against Cornell ..... the hero's are going to be The Captain and Ghost and Stevens. With the big ice we need to take away the added time and space from the Cornell forwards. Win or lose, I hope our causally count is not high.

I am driving from Boston Friday morning. Hope to see you all there.

Go Dutchmen !!!!!
                    Good summary.. as usual, I'm worried (but hopeful) about this game. Beating a team like Cornell 3 times in a season is not easy, especially in a big game like this, and the boys better not be overconfident for this one. There has been plenty of talk about U being so much faster and will do better on the big ice like they did at SCSU and UNH. The radio guys were saying this as soon as the Dartmouth series was over and that U would have an advantage over Cornell/Clarkson. This ignores that two keys to doing well on the big ice are 1) maintaining puck possession, and 2) defensive discipline covering in front of your net. Cornell is VERY good at both of these aspects of the game. Unlike SCSU & UNH they don't often take wild shots that can rebound back and cause a quick break the other way. They like to cycle the puck endlessly and grind down the defense, which actually can be easier to do on the bigger ice since is not as easy to pin them in a corner or along the boards, and they are tough to take the puck away from in open ice. Not saying that U can't and shouldn't be able to use their speed to open up the ice and get good scoring chances, but the supposed advantage may not be that great and the boys will need to bring serious A-game.

As for NCAAs, looks to me like U has clinched a #1 seed and that is really all that matters. I don't care where U plays or who is in their bracket, other than would be nice in the east so can attend. #1 seed gives a slightly easier path and guarantees not seeing BC or Minny. Other than that, U will have to beat VERY GOOD teams to get anywhere in the NCAAs. If its Qpac, so be it.

BTW, I do find it interesting that the last couple USCHO Bracketology predictions have the "Bracket of Union Coaches" with U, Providence (Leaman, Barr), UVM (Sneddon), and Quinnipiac (Riga).
                    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                      BTW, I do find it interesting that the last couple USCHO Bracketology predictions have the "Bracket of Union Coaches" with U, Providence (Leaman, Barr), UVM (Sneddon), and Quinnipiac (Riga).
                      I think I mentioned the "Union Coach" connection somewhere earlier but forgot about the Riga aspect. It's a small fraternity of D-1 coaches, but that is still amazing. I guess if a coach can be successful at Union with all of it's limitations, then that translates well elsewhere.

I am also anxious about the upcoming weekend. It is inconceivable to me that any team, and particularly Union's could take Cornell lightly, for all of the reasons stated above. They will be a very, very tough opponents regardless of whether they are playing on a regulation, Olympic size rink or outside on Mirror Lake. I do believe that Ghost could be the wild card here. I think his past few games have been a bit inconsistent and he displayed some lack of discipline in taking some bad penalties against Dartmouth. Still, with his skills and vision of the ice he can be extremely dangerous, IF he plays smart and under control, much as he did at SCSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                        I think I mentioned the "Union Coach" connection somewhere earlier but forgot about the Riga aspect. It's a small fraternity of D-1 coaches, but that is still amazing. I guess if a coach can be successful at Union with all of it's limitations, then that translates well elsewhere.

I am also anxious about the upcoming weekend. It is inconceivable to me that any team, and particularly Union's could take Cornell lightly, for all of the reasons stated above. They will be a very, very tough opponents regardless of whether they are playing on a regulation, Olympic size rink or outside on Mirror Lake. I do believe that Ghost could be the wild card here. I think his past few games have been a bit inconsistent and he displayed some lack of discipline in taking some bad penalties against Dartmouth. Still, with his skills and vision of the ice he can be extremely dangerous, IF he plays smart and under control, much as he did at SCSU.
                        Speaking of Ghost, Ken Schott and CHN have reported that he is a top 10 finalist for the Hobey!

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...0_revealed.php

He may not win it, but it's an honor to be on that list, IMO. Congrats Shayne!
                        Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

From Ken Schott:

Union dominated the ECAC Hockey all-conference team, placing four players on the squad, it was announced Thursday.

The Dutchmen making the first team were defensemen Mat Bodie and Shayne Gostisbehere, goalie and Niskayuna native Colin Stevens and forward Daniel Carr.

RPI forward Ryan Haggerty, who signed with the New York Rangers last week, also made the first team, giving the Capital Region teams five of the six spots. St. Lawrence forward Greg Carey was the other first-team member.

Dutchmen forward Daniel Ciampini made the third team.

Union freshman center Mike Vecchione made the All-Rookie team.

The rest of the awards will be announced Friday.

FIRST TEAM ALL-LEAGUE
                          Forward Greg Carey, St. Lawrence
                          Forward Daniel Carr, Union
                          Forward Ryan Haggerty, Rensselaer
                          Defense Shayne Gostisbehere, Union
                          Defense Mat Bodie, Union
                          Goaltender Colin Stevens, Union

SECOND TEAM ALL-LEAGUE
                          Forward Sam Anas, Quinnipiac
                          Forward Kellen Jones, Quinnipiac
                          Forward Jesse Root, Yale
                          Defense Gavin Bayreuther, St. Lawrence
                          Defense Joakim Ryan, Cornell
                          Goaltender Andy Iles, Cornell
                          Goaltender Charlie Finn, Colgate

THIRD TEAM ALL-LEAGUE
                          Forward Kenny Agostino, Yale
                          Forward Daniel Ciampini, Union
                          Forward Brian Ferlin, Cornell
                          Defense Spiro Goulakos, Colgate
                          Defense Dennis Robertson, Brown

ALL-ROOKIE TEAM
                          Forward Sam Anas, Quinnipiac
                          Forward Matt Carey, St. Lawrence
                          Forward Mike Vecchione, Union
                          Defense Gavin Bayreuther, St. Lawrence
                          Defense James de Haas, Clarkson
                          LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

You have until 7PM Friday to get your picks in.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-Playoffs-2014

This means you:

arickeo
                            bcarlisle
                            Brett Gobe
                            Brian Sullivan/Nate Owen
                            cudmud
                            hockeyplayer1015
                            ibanezist00
                            Jack T. Ripper
                            Maine-iac
                            Mike Hutter
                            Nyhockeyguy
                            PutItBackOn
                            QUAlum2004
                            rfs04
                            Rjm7272
                            StayPuftMMcu
                            TchrBill
                            TheValleyRaider
                            ufanbill
                            UnionTDX04
                            Wholin1
                            rjohntute
                            Nottme
                            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

ECAC FIRST TEAM ALL-LEAGUE
                              http://ecachockey.com/men/2013-14/Ne..._All_Rook_Team

Defense Mat Bodie, Union

AWESOME !!!!!
                              Last edited by Dutchman; 03-20-2014, 03:38 PM.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

ECAC FIRST TEAM ALL-LEAGUE
                                http://ecachockey.com/men/2013-14/Ne..._All_Rook_Team

Defense Mat Bodie, Union

AWESOME !!!!!
                                Hard work pays off! Also, congrats to Ciampini and Vech
                                Union College Hockey
                                2014 NCAA National Champions
                                2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X