Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

MVP either M Bodes or Stevens, but I will go with Bodes
    MI Champ
    Rookie Vecchione edges Taylor
    7th. Coats

Comment

mvp carr
      MI ciampi
      rookie vech
      7th player sullivan

Comment

The regular season road trips are over for us now that the ECAC Tournament is underway. We will play 2 or 3 at home next weekend. After that, any future games, if they take place, will be on neutral ice.

Across all of College Hockey Division I, we had the best regular season road record, 13-2-3
        St. Cloud, another "Road Warrior" finished 11-3-0
        Cornell also did well 8-3-2

BC finished 10-3-3
        Providence finished 9-3-3
        Minnesota was 6-3-1

Is this the best regular season road record in our history? Another Union team record shattered? Road wins counted more than home wins so this really helped us in the pairwise.

FYI Wisconsin is 2-7-1 on the road
        Last edited by Dutchman; 03-06-2014, 07:37 AM.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Staff hit the road deliberately I presume to pay dividends in postseason. Minny and Wisconsin 10 games each? Wimpy.

Comment

The 7th PLAYER Award is given to the Union College men’s hockey player who, with extra effort and skill, consistently creates excitement and aggressive play, resulting in a team advantage.

So it really isn't an "unsung hero" award.. not sure exactly how the "7th player" reference applies, maybe because its the player that gets the fans excited. I'm voting for my personal favorite player on the team, Cole Ikkala, but can see how Ghost should win this.
            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

WHRB Sports Blog - This is Harvards student radio that covers Crimson's sports - their thoughts on 2014 All-ECAC
              http://whrbsports.blogspot.com/
              The home for Harvard student radio's coverage of Crimson sports. We feature play-by-play broadcasts, commentary, and exclusive interviews. Email sports@whrb.org to contact any member of the WHRB Sports department.

2014 All-ECAC and All-Rookie Teams
              By Anton Khodakov

The regular season is over and Harvard has drawn Yale in the first round. But before the playoffs begin, it’s time for a week’s worth of blog posts looking back at the season.

First, our 2014 WHRB All-ECAC Team.

Forwards
              Greg Carey (STL) – Jesse Root (YAL) – Ryan Haggerty (RPI)
              Sam Anas (QUI) – Connor Jones (QUI) – Kellen Jones (QUI)
              Daniel Carr (UNI) – Matt Carey (STL) – Kenny Agostino (YAL)
              Tyson Spink (COL) – Tylor Spink (COL) – Brock Higgs (RPI)
              We apologize to Brown’s top line and Matthew Peca, but we couldn’t resist throwing three pairs of brothers on the team. Returning from last year’s squad are the elder Carey, Haggerty, Carr and Agostino. In a major improvement over last year, we’re proud to say that only one player is slotted out of position here: Higgs, a center.

Defense
              Mat Bodie (UNI) – Joakim Ryan (COR)
              Dennis Robertson (BRN) – Shayne Gostisbehere (UNI)
              Dan Federico (QUI) – Spiro Goulakos (COL)
              With the exception of Goulakos, everyone here naturally plays the left side. But you just can’t argue against that top four. The two Dutchmen earn repeat nominations and Federico deserves more appreciation than he gets.

Goalies
              Colin Stevens (UNI)
              Andy Iles (COR)
              Stevens is the surprise of the season in net for the league’s best team. Twenty wins and the top save percentage in the ECAC? Not too shabby. No justification needed for Andy Iles, even in the season that he sees his consecutive starts streak end.

As an added bonus, here’s our 2014 ECAC All-Rookie Team.

Sam Anas (QUI) – Mike Vecchione (UNI) – Matt Carey (STL)
              Gavin Bayreuther (STL) – Devon Toews (QUI)
              Charlie Finn (COL)
              Vecchione sneaks in just above his teammate Eli Lichtenwald on account of missing fewer games to injury. The other five should come as no shock. They all have monster numbers and should dominate the conference in the years to come.

Posted by Savanna Arral at 11:57 PM No comments:
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Good preview of Harvard Yale:
                Men's Hockey to Face Yale in First Round of ECAC Tournament

By JAKE MEAGHER, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER
                http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...-yale-preview/

From Yale's perspective
                Yale needs to run ECAC tournament table for chance to repeat
                http://www.nhregister.com/sports/201...ance-to-repeat
                Last edited by Dutchman; 03-06-2014, 08:52 PM.
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

From Dartmouth
                  http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewA...CLID=209427799
                  Dartmouth and RPI Renew Historic Postseason Rivalry This Weekend

All sorts of good info, game notes ....
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Clarkson men open ECAC playoffs with home series against Princeton
                    http://www.mpcourier.com/article/20140306/DCO/703069882
                    From Massena and Potsdam, New York
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                      Here's a little more on Newhouse, with some insight from overtheboards.net: http://t.co/dIxX6zYFzR
                      FWIW, Newhouse is apparently playing for the Waterloo Blackhawks this evening http://www.pointstreak.com/flashapp/...ointstreak.com. He is one of their affiliate players and BSM's season has ended.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

MVP: Stevens
                        Most Improved: Ciampini
                        Rookie of the Year: Vecchione
                        7th player: Gostisbehere

I wanted to give MVP to Carr, but I don't think we are where we are without Stevens.
                        Union College Hockey
                        2014 NCAA National Champions
                        2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          FWIW, Newhouse is apparently playing for the Waterloo Blackhawks this evening http://www.pointstreak.com/flashapp/...ointstreak.com. He is one of their affiliate players and BSM's season has ended.
                          Good catch on him playing there earlier tonight - thanks for that. It was his USHL debut, and he had a +1 rating.

Comment

You have until 7PM tonight to get your picks into the ECAC Pick The Playoffs Round 1.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-Playoffs-2014
                            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

How time flies. Seems like yesterday were were squaring off against Bowling Green. Of the 59 teams that play D1 College hockey, the season will end this weekend for at least 10 and probably 11 of them. Another half of the remaining 50 or so teams teams will conclude on March 16 leaving about 25. On March 22 we should know the six confernce tournament champs and the 16 NCAA contestants. Its been an unbelievebale run for us Union fans these past 4 years and as they say " ... it ain't over yet !!!"

This has also been an extremely tough and competive year in the ECAC. In 50 matchups with HE for 2013-2014 our Inter-Conference Record has been 22-20-8 and I am sure that will play out further. I wonder if, going forward, the ECAC can sustain this level of competitive play? We will have to see. Best enjoy it while we can .....

The ECAC has 12 of the 59 NCAA D1 Mens Hockey Teams or 20% in total.

The ECAC has 20% (2) of the top 10 teams
                              The ECAC has 25% (5) of the top 20 teams
                              The ECAC has 25% (8) of the top 32 teams
                              The ECAC has 25% (10) of the top 40 teams

Its been a very good year.
                              Last edited by Dutchman; 03-07-2014, 05:04 AM.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
                                MVP: Stevens
                                I wanted to give MVP to Carr, but I don't think we are where we are without Stevens.
                                With all due respect to Daniel, I had cemented Stevens as the team's MVP after the Clarkson game in Potsdam. I also don't think this team is where they are after some spectacular performances by Colin.

MVP - Stevens
                                Most Improved - Ciampini (though an argument could be made for Gingras)
                                Rookie - Vecchione (Taylor comes in a close second here)
                                7th Player - Coatta

Also no disrespect for Gostisbehere, but I look at the 7th man as one of the "non-stars" of the team who's contributed the most. I love Coatta's hustle and willingness to grind and fight along the boards and forecheck. This could also be said of Ikkala, but I went with Coatta because of the time that Ikkala missed from injury.
                                Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X