Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UML 2013/2014 Season, II ... May I have another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2013/2014 Season, II ... May I have another?

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
    This is a non-argument to me. The reffing had nothing to do with the outcome of that game. Besides, if a ref can't be impartial, then he shouldn't be working any game anywhere, no matter who is playing.
    To me, I'm not saying it's an argument. Just seems questionable to me.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
      To me, I'm not saying it's an argument. Just seems questionable to me.
      The TV announcer, Bill Jaffe, made what I thought was a vague, tongue in cheek reference to it when the player was talking to the ref and Jaffee said "the player had known the ref for a long time."

Comment

Originally posted by Doubleminor View Post
        I cant believe that the referee in the Vermont - UMass-Amherst game was the uncle of a UVM player. I hope it doesn't happen this weekend.
        Ummm which ref? Benedetto and Hansen both have reffed quite a few games? Hansen reffed the UVM-UML set two weeks ago. I can't say either of those two have done UVM any favors what so ever. Hansen doesnt call anything, missed a blatant take down of Bruneteau in Fridays game and was one of the refs who let Arnold and Holstrom molest Paliotta in the corner after Saturdays game.... Benedetto? He reffed UVM's series against BC which were the worst two officiated games I've seen all year and perhaps ever...

If either of those two are an uncle of a UVM player they are either unbiased, trying to hard the other way, or just don't like their nephew...
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
          Hansen doesnt call anything, missed a blatant take down of Bruneteau in Fridays game and was one of the refs who let Arnold and Holstrom molest Paliotta in the corner after Saturdays game....
          It's nice to see that Paliotta was able to make a quick recovery from the savage beating he received the week before.
          Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
          "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

It's nice to see that Paliotta was able to make a quick recovery from the savage beating he received the week before.
            I hope UML's ego recovered as quickly
            Last edited by jcarter7669; 03-11-2014, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
              I hope UML's ego recovered as quickly
              Brickley scored winning goal to end UMass-Amherst's season. What if it was a controversial goal and his uncle Tim Benedetto has to review the goal? Does Benedetto refuse to participate in the review? Hockey East should avoid any hint of conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubleminor View Post
                Brickley scored winning goal to end UMass-Amherst's season. What if it was a controversial goal and his uncle Tim Benedetto has to review the goal? Does Benedetto refuse to participate in the review? Hockey East should avoid any hint of conflict.
                If he has to review a goal it is a.) on video for all to see including Bertagna b.) has to be CONCLUSIVE to overturn it and c.) has to agree with the other ref.

If it's close enough so his "judgement" could be a factor then it's not conclusive enough to be over turned.

And, if HE was worried about the quality of their reffing most all of the refs we currently have would be gone.

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                  By the way, the whining on the UMass hockey threads on the bball message boards is bordering on suicidal. They actually think too that the Mullins Center is an outstanding hockey facility, yuck.
                  I found the winning post. I might never have to go and read there again.
                  The reason I say we can dominate HE is because at one "brief" moment in time 2006-2008, we did.
                  In '05/'06 season, they finished fourth in HE and did make it to the final 8 of the NCAAs.
                  In '06/'07, they finished 8th in HE and were swept in the HE Tournament.
                  In '07/'08, finished 7th in HE, swept in HE tournament.

That's ... yeah, that's the definition of dominating Hockey East!
                  Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                  2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I dunno....here's another contender for winning post:

when Jonathan Quick was our goalie and we kicked everyone's ***. Mullins was always sold out and we were the top draw on the road.
                    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

I would cut those guys some slack. It must be hard to stay in touch with reality when you constantly inhale pepper spray and tear gas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                        I would cut those guys some slack. It must be hard to stay in touch with reality when you constantly inhale pepper spray and tear gas.

But that's enough about freshman orientation
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                          I tend to be a bit of a Debbie Downer for that time period, if anyone noticed.
                          You hide it well, though.

This is a non-argument to me. The reffing had nothing to do with the outcome of that game. Besides, if a ref can't be impartial, then he shouldn't be working any game anywhere, no matter who is playing.
                          Yes, but why take the chance on it being an issue? They have enough controversy as it is.

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                          *snicker*
                          Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                          Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                          "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                          KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

yeah... I'm also going to disagree with scott... ideals about refs should do is all good and stuff but we're talking about refs... a species who by reputation needs their egos massaged. I have no problem with evaluating refs and making sure they are doing the right job... but in a pinch? I dunno, the same ones that would bark when Jack Parker says speak? I don' think so.
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              yeah... I'm also going to disagree with scott... ideals about refs should do is all good and stuff but we're talking about refs... a species who by reputation needs their egos massaged. I have no problem with evaluating refs and making sure they are doing the right job... but in a pinch? I dunno, the same ones that would bark when Jack Parker says speak? I don' think so.
                              I think that is an unfair description of refs. Having met a few I didn't find their ego had anything to do with it. It is easy to ascribe all sorts of motives to them, to demonize them when they do something we wouldn't agree with but I can't see them with evil motives or doing this solely because they have huge egos. The ones I have met are motivated by doing a good job and their ego would be stroked if people saw them as impartial and fair.

yes there is a run on sentence and yes I am not too coherent but it is early in the day yet

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                I think that is an unfair description of refs. Having met a few I didn't find their ego had anything to do with it. It is easy to ascribe all sorts of motives to them, to demonize them when they do something we wouldn't agree with but I can't see them with evil motives or doing this solely because they have huge egos. The ones I have met are motivated by doing a good job and their ego would be stroked if people saw them as impartial and fair.

yes there is a run on sentence and yes I am not too coherent but it is early in the day yet
                                Benedetto is the ref in question right? I mean isn't he lousy just all the time? He hasn't shown any favoritism has he?
                                I think if a ref is going to go out of his way to do something like that it's usually easy to spot. Of course I'm most likely completely wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X