Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UML 2013/2014 Season, II ... May I have another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2013/2014 Season, II ... May I have another?

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
    When I say overrated, I don't mean he isn't good, I said he is very very good, just that jcarter neglected to put things in context when he said he was "far past them". I meant specifically by him to say he's head and shoulders above others who don't have a team scoring 4.5 goals a game to take off pressure with no less than three legit NHL defense prospects in front of him.

"Overrated" meaning he is still great, just not head and shoulders above the guys mentioned who are leaned on more. BC could have average goaltending and still have clinched the HEA regular season title. I know it's a word that immediately makes you think the guy is bad.
    So your saying that Lowell's defense isn't very good and that their defensive style of play doens't benefit their goaltenders? Hmm, I guess we can agree to disagree.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by HawkUnderground View Post
      I started off complimenting him I thought and a BC fan got offended because I didn't say he was the best of all time. His numbers just this weekend became better than my Lowell netminders but they weren't that far off before that... but I still think our goalies get put under more pressure situations and are asked to do a lot more than Demko is.
      You stated that Demko was almost as good as Carr and Hellebuyck. I merely pointed out that the stats do not agree with you, and although BC has a stellar defense they do play a more offensive style of play. Lowell also has a stellar defense and actually plays a more defensive game, which benefits their goal tenders so I would propose that they are not asked to do "a lot more" the Demko.

But I for one absolutely do not agree that Carr and Hellebuyck are better then Demko... the stats do not agree and everyone can discount the stats if you like but then we are left with the eyeball test, and frankly I still think Demko comes out ahead. And for the record I also stated that Carr and Hellebuyck are both very good goaltenders so its not like I'm slamming them or anything of the sort.

Put it this way, if you were a coach and you had the opportunity to pick one of the three to be your goalie who would you honestly choose... I'd take Demko, but maybe I'm alone in this...

Comment

You guys are still at this?

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
          You stated that Demko was almost as good as Carr and Hellebuyck. I merely pointed out that the stats do not agree with you, and although BC has a stellar defense they do play a more offensive style of play. Lowell also has a stellar defense and actually plays a more defensive game, which benefits their goal tenders so I would propose that they are not asked to do "a lot more" the Demko.

But I for one absolutely do not agree that Carr and Hellebuyck are better then Demko... the stats do not agree and everyone can discount the stats if you like but then we are left with the eyeball test, and frankly I still think Demko comes out ahead. And for the record I also stated that Carr and Hellebuyck are both very good goaltenders so its not like I'm slamming them or anything of the sort.

Put it this way, if you were a coach and you had the opportunity to pick one of the three to be your goalie who would you honestly choose... I'd take Demko, but maybe I'm alone in this...
          Well given that this is the UML board, I would say you probably on your own here. On the BC board, there's probably more.

Either way each of them are great netminders and I would love to see the chance for the two teams to go at it again in the Hockey East tournament or even the NCAA tournament. Though I think that we'd need to get more chants by then.
          I'd probably be a lot less stressed if I wasn't a hockey fan, but where's the fun in that?

Comment

Apparently they are.

Anyways, couple of games up in Burlington to close out the season. Guess we can call it payback for dragging us into that flawed Catamount Cup? Either way, I'm expecting 3 or 4 to close out the season strong.
            I'd probably be a lot less stressed if I wasn't a hockey fan, but where's the fun in that?

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
              You guys are still at this?
              No kidding.
              Originally posted by CleggyofUML View Post
              Though I think that we'd need to get more chants by then.
              Why take offense? It was a suggestion? I'd love to see you guys be creative for the simple reason ... that I know you can.
              Originally posted by CleggyofUML View Post
              Anyways, couple of games up in Burlington to close out the season. Guess we can call it payback for dragging us into that flawed Catamount Cup? Either way, I'm expecting 3 or 4 to close out the season strong.
              I think most of us are thinking a split, but 3/4 would be a strong statement about what could happen the remainder of this season.
              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Leave it to a Northeastern fan to come onto a UVM-UML flamefest and look like the biggest idiot out of everyone.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Again, I am not stating that Demko is better than the Lowell guys. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Doesn't matter to me. I'm just saying Demko isn't overrated. That was a point made by an NU fan.

The two teams play very different styles and have different personnel, so any comparison is going to be somewhat flawed. I will say that based off the numbers and based on what I have seen with my eyes, Demko is right up there with anyone in the league regardless of the team around him.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post

Why take offense? It was a suggestion? I'd love to see you guys be creative for the simple reason ... that I know you can.
                    Nah not offended, more of joking around. I get tired of the same two chants. The only chant we really came up with and consistently use other than Let's go Lowell or UML is Fred C. Church when we get a power play and its not really there yet.

I think the main issue with getting more chants down is just that nobody really hears them if they are spur of the moment chants that are made up. I think we need to have a few people try to come up with more and get the school to try to spread the word a bit.

Comment

Nick Gordon will compete for UMass Lowell once again, but not on the ice. Gordon has joined the UMass Lowell Golf Team.
                      Justin Soderberg
                      President and Editor-in-chief, Mill City Sports
                      Co-Host, MCS Live Online Radio Show
                      Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Email

Comment

So your saying that Lowell's defense isn't very good and that their defensive style of play doens't benefit their goaltenders? Hmm, I guess we can agree to disagree.
                        It does, but is their defense as talented as BC's? You're freaking out over the word "overrated". It's not the exact word I should've used, I really just meant you cannot just post stats and claim that to be the end all be all, that was my point. My point wasn't that Demko isn't an elite goaltender, he is , which is why I said he's "very very good".
                        Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                        Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                          It does, but is their defense as talented as BC's? You're freaking out over the word "overrated". It's not the exact word I should've used, I really just meant you cannot just post stats and claim that to be the end all be all, that was my point. My point wasn't that Demko isn't an elite goaltender, he is , which is why I said he's "very very good".
                          Who is freaking out? You are in such a tizzy you can't even figure out who it is posted what, or who made what post. Do yourself a favor and read back through the posts because it's clear that right now you are a bit clueless. As and FYI, overall UML has better defensive numbers then BC, so is their defense as talented as BC's? I don't know because apparently we can't use past results (stats) to judge, but my eyeball says they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                            Are you medicated? Demko is not only an "elite" goaltender, he's one of the best goalies in the country. He's rated as the top North American draft eligible goalies this year and his stats are up there with the best. If your theory were true, Billett's stats would be equally impressive since they play with the same D.
                            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Who is freaking out? You are in such a tizzy you can't even figure out who it is posted what, or who made what post. Do yourself a favor and read back through the posts because it's clear that right now you are a bit clueless. As and FYI, overall UML has better defensive numbers then BC, so is their defense as talented as BC's? I don't know because apparently we can't use past results (stats) to judge, but my eyeball says they are.
                              Who is in a tizzy? And who uses that word? Fine, not you, but some BC fans at least opposed my use of the word overrated in regard to Demko. And I agree with J.D. it wasn't the best word to use for what I was trying to say. I was highly impressed with him in the Beanpot championship and he's having a great season and is the top N.A. prospect by CSS.

Anyway, UML has given up less goals overall, but more goals in 1 less game in-conference and Hellebyuck has been asked to keep more shots out of the net. The latter was really my only point. Again, both goaltenders are great, my original point was simply that a couple stats doesn't prove who is better without taking a bunch of stuff into consideration. Now, if we did look at context, and we concluded Demko was better, which could certainly be done, that's fine. I'm going to leave it at that.
                              Last edited by SkinsFan09; 02-25-2014, 12:00 PM.
                              Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                                Are you medicated? Demko is not only an "elite" goaltender, he's one of the best goalies in the country.
                                So now the word "elite" is a slight also? There's 59 teams, elite would at least mean top 10 maybe top 5.
                                Last edited by SkinsFan09; 02-25-2014, 12:13 PM.
                                Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Working...
                                X