PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota State-Mankato at NMU 1/31 and 2/1: Oh What Fun.

Pages : [1] 2

MissThundercat
01-27-2014, 11:03 PM
When these two team met earlier in the season, the Purple Mavericks swept the Cats.

This time, I'm hoping for a different result.

MAVSFAN4EVER
01-28-2014, 01:20 AM
After a very disappointing weekend, I'm hoping the Mavs get back on track. Mn State needs 4 points if they want to catch Ferris St. However, I don't see them going 4-0 on the season against NMU. I'm expecting two hard fought games.

purpleinnebraska
01-28-2014, 08:40 AM
When these two team met earlier in the season, the Purple Mavericks swept the Cats.

This time, I'm hoping for a different result.

It was a sweep, but both games were tied in the 3rd. NMU had lost Ludwig the week before and was still trying to adjust to that, and Siemer didn't play, so it's going to be a much different NMU team this weekend. On the bright side for the Mavs, the offense seems to have recovered from their Alaska malaise. On the down side, our goalies were both bad last weekend. If Huggins gives up an early soft goal on Friday, we could be on the verge of a weekend meltdown.

MavHockey14
01-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Must sweep.

MavHockey14
01-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Frankly, the Mavericks need to be better 5 on 5. The PP is 3rd in the country, the PK is 4th. LaFontaine is killing it on the PP.

Bale
01-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Frankly, the Mavericks need to be better 5 on 5. The PP is 3rd in the country, the PK is 4th. LaFontaine is killing it on the PP.

And we need to quit giving up so ***** many odd man rushes.

aparch
01-28-2014, 02:22 PM
This is a matchup I would have loved to have seen years ago as a NC series. So glad they're our conference mates now. I felt that NMU and Mankato were very similar in how they developed talent for the NHL.

How I would love to be back in MQT for this weekend.

I hope the 'Cats can minimize the penalties and continue to build on the power play from last Friday in Anchorage.

state of hockey
01-28-2014, 03:35 PM
And we need to quit giving up so ***** many odd man rushes.

Penalties. Even if the PK is good to great, playing shorthanded kills you. The game against SCSU could have been very different with some discipline.

Bale
01-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Penalties. Even if the PK is good to great, playing shorthanded kills you. The game against SCSU could have been very different with some discipline.

It's not even the penalties that drive me nuts (although the discipline has been awful lately). It's horrible plays by the defensemen and horrible passing that give up odd man rushes regardless of whether we're shorthanded on the PP or even strength drive me nuts. We give up 3-4 odd man rushes nearly every game. It's why we lost in Alaska. It's part of what turned the games against UND and SCSU. It ridiculous how many times the goalie needs to carry the team due to undisciplined plays like that.

Pink Pony
01-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Great weekend of hockey. Hope to do a road trip. Who knows I might stop in the broadcast booth.

aparch
01-29-2014, 08:20 AM
DavyD, Is there anywhere to listen to the interview you did with Bruce McLeod in UAA, or a recap of what he talked about?

Unless I read another thread wrong that said you interviewed him.

RaceBoarder
01-29-2014, 09:40 AM
Subscribed...

MavHockey14
01-29-2014, 11:02 AM
A big reason we're taking so many penalties is because we give up the odd man rushes. We're taking obstruction penalties on some of the rushes, which in turn makes us even more undisciplined throughout the rest of the game. So many stupid, little penalties. Chase Grant is reverting back to old ways..

RaceBoarder
01-29-2014, 02:30 PM
A big reason we're taking so many penalties is because we give up the odd man rushes. We're taking obstruction penalties on some of the rushes, which in turn makes us even more undisciplined throughout the rest of the game. So many stupid, little penalties. Chase Grant is reverting back to old ways..

NMU is very similar... We get beat by quicker moves, then resort to grabbing you as you go by... The PK time eats away at our fitness and amps up the frustration level...

davyd83
01-30-2014, 03:32 AM
DavyD, Is there anywhere to listen to the interview you did with Bruce McLeod in UAA, or a recap of what he talked about?

No there isn't a place to listen to it. And the interview was done live. So I don't have it stored personally. If you have a specific question, I may be able to give an answer.

aparch
01-30-2014, 11:47 AM
No, nothing specific. Just wondered if there were any gems in the midst of the interview that could be discussion worthy.

Suze
01-30-2014, 12:41 PM

Kurt Haider of UAA interviewed him as well, and I can tell you what they discussed. McLeod said the new WCHA has more than lived up to his expectations. He had a lot of anxiety heading into the season, but he couldn't be happier with the caliber of play. He's happy with the officiating and how well things have fallen into place. He addressed losing the big guns like UND, UM, and UW, but he said there is a lot more parity in college hockey than there used to be. He also talked about the geography of the WCHA and travel issues, and that these are long term issues ... but noted that Western Michigan and Miami of Ohio travel budgets have really changed as well.

He did say that we aren't done with the changes in the WCHA yet, and that the financial reality for a lot of people is already setting in and there will be some tweaking down the road. Kurt asked him how the America One came to be ... McLeod said he has been thinking about it for awhile because there isn't a lot of money in hockey (getting television rights), and the costs are too prohibitive to air the games on TV ($30,000 for a bare bones broadcast per game or $75,000 for a top notch broadcast). He feels America One is helping to brand the league. Initially Fox Sports was supposed to do the games, but that didn't get off the ground in time so they went with America One.

MavHockey14
01-30-2014, 02:41 PM
The team made it out of Mankato without many problems today. Thankfully the snow didn't hinder things for them.

davyd83
01-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Kurt Haider of UAA interviewed him as well, and I can tell you what they discussed. McLeod said the new WCHA has more than lived up to his expectations. He had a lot of anxiety heading into the season, but he couldn't be happier with the caliber of play. He's happy with the officiating and how well things have fallen into place. He addressed losing the big guns like UND, UM, and UW, but he said there is a lot more parity in college hockey than there used to be. He also talked about the geography of the WCHA and travel issues, and that these are long term issues ... but noted that Western Michigan and Miami of Ohio travel budgets have really changed as well.

He did say that we aren't done with the changes in the WCHA yet, and that the financial reality for a lot of people is already setting in and there will be some tweaking down the road. Kurt asked him how the America One came to be ... McLeod said he has been thinking about it for awhile because there isn't a lot of money in hockey (getting television rights), and the costs are too prohibitive to air the games on TV ($30,000 for a bare bones broadcast per game or $75,000 for a top notch broadcast). He feels America One is helping to brand the league. Initially Fox Sports was supposed to do the games, but that didn't get off the ground in time so they went with America One.

Sounds pretty much the same as the conversation I had with him. Nothing earth shattering. Nothing unexpected. They are sticking with the Final Five branding for now in hopes that it will return to either 5 teams or 5 games at some point. But for now it's like the 14 team Big Ten or the 10 team Big 12!

MaizeRage
01-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Sounds pretty much the same as the conversation I had with him. Nothing earth shattering. Nothing unexpected. They are sticking with the Final Five branding for now in hopes that it will return to either 5 teams or 5 games at some point. But for now it's like the 14 team Big Ten or the 10 team Big 12!

I thought Final Five referred to the crowd in attendance?