PDA

View Full Version : Slew-Footing penalty

Pages : [1] 2 3

LTsatch
01-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Was called during the Brown Yale game last night resulting in a fiver and next game DQ for the Brown player. Has anyone ever heard this penalty called before?

Koho
01-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Was called during the Brown Yale game last night resulting in a fiver and next game DQ for the Brown player. Has anyone ever heard this penalty called before?
Can't say I remember seeing a 5 for it. And having watched hockey for years, I don't remember ever hearing the name even until the last 10 years, or something like that. Anyone know when the term originated and when it became a penalty?

pdt1081
01-26-2014, 10:17 PM
I know of a least one college player who ended up with a broken foot from a slew-foot 15 years ago or so. That was the first time I had heard of it.

Go-UML
01-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Pretty sure it's been talked about in Bruins broadcasts but can't recall it being called in NCAA. It's a dangerous play and it probably deserves a 5 and GM and I could see a DQ as well.

Jimjamesak
01-26-2014, 10:47 PM
Few seasons ago between CC and UAA in the Springs. Same result: Five and a Game.

Suze
01-26-2014, 10:49 PM
Few seasons ago between CC and UAA in the Springs. Same result: Five and a Game.

Rylan Schwartz took a slew-footing penalty (major & game misconduct) when CC played UAA in December of 2011.

http://www.adn.com/2011/12/09/2211279/seawolves-topple-tigers.html#storylink=cpy

LTsatch
01-26-2014, 11:00 PM
I had never heard of the penalty before, but my season ticket partner actually said that is what Sidney Crosby gets accused of alot. Here is the NHL Rule. Could not find an NCAA one online.

Slew-footing - Slew-footing is the act of a player or goalkeeper using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the opponent’s feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.

Jimjamesak
01-26-2014, 11:08 PM
Slew footing is one of the dirtiest plays in hockey. Flat out.

Jimjamesak
01-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Rylan Schwartz took a slew-footing penalty (major & game misconduct) when CC played UAA in December of 2011.

http://www.adn.com/2011/12/09/2211279/seawolves-topple-tigers.html#storylink=cpy
Yup, that's the one.

http://collegehockeystats.net/1112/boxes/makacc_1.d09

Snively65
01-26-2014, 11:16 PM
Slew footing is what Bruins' Shawn Thornton did to Penquins's Brooks Orpik when he refused to fight following Orpik's gutless head shot that concussed Bruins's Loui Ericsson earlier this season. Thornton was assessed a 15-game suspension, as his slew foot knocked out and concussed Orpik, and was a stupid thing to do. There are better ways to retaliate, such as scoring a few goals. I agree that Sidney Crosby and many others on the Penquins, present and past, are dirty players, and it gave me great pleasure when the Bruins beat them in the playoffs last spring.

Hokydad
01-27-2014, 09:35 AM
I had never heard of the penalty before, but my season ticket partner actually said that is what Sidney Crosby gets accused of alot. Here is the NHL Rule. Could not find an NCAA one online.

Slew-footing - Slew-footing is the act of a player or goalkeeper using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the opponent’s feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.

You have never heard of it because you have no clue about hockey. Stick to your 1000 posts about tv shows etc.

mookie1995
01-27-2014, 10:09 AM
You have never heard of it because you have no clue about hockey. Stick to your 1000 posts about tv shows etc.

:p

DaveStPaul
01-27-2014, 10:45 AM

That's why you almost never hear it being called -- it hardly ever happens. Because you don't want to be known as a player who slew-foots. You might as well put a big X on your chest.

Pucknut
01-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Maine's Joey Diamond was called for it by the Hockey East Commissioner Joe Bertagna.

https://bangordailynews.com/2011/02/08/sports/hockey-east-commissioner-made-wrong-decision/

boblav1
01-27-2014, 11:26 AM

NHL Rule 52 - Slew-footing

52.1 Slew-footing - Slew-footing is the act of a player or goalkeeper using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the opponent’s feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.

Jimjamesak
01-27-2014, 11:26 AM
That's why you almost never hear it being called -- it hardly ever happens. Because you don't want to be known as a player who slew-foots. You might as well put a big X on your chest.
It's really easy way to get your * kicked that's for sure.

LTsatch
01-27-2014, 01:34 PM

Don't you have a dinner date with Seth Appert? Or is it high balls at Stewy's place getting your inside info that no one cares about?

theprofromdover
01-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Don't you have a dinner date with Seth Appert? Or is high balls at Stewy's place getting your inside info that no one cares about?

he's still upset that Appert didn't offer his kid a scholarship.

nopuckluck
01-27-2014, 04:42 PM
One of the reasons you don't see it as often in college hockey is that we have automatic icing. In previous seasons the NHL had touch-up icing and you'd sometimes see a player kick the skates out of another player in the rush to touch the puck. VERY DANGEROUS especially if heading a full speed toward the end boards. A comical moment LSATCH during the Yale All Access broadcast as the call was relayed up to the booth and one of the announcers had obviously never heard of the penalty before. So, he said they must have meant "slow-footing ... a call for getting to penalty box too slowly." I nearly bust a gut laughing. Adlon quickly recovered by reading an online definition of slew-footing ... and saving her broadcast partner further embarrassment. :D

UncleRay
01-27-2014, 05:02 PM
"a player or goalkeeper..." Does that mean that goalies aren't players?? :confused: