PDA

View Full Version : Slew-Footing penalty

Pages : 1 [2] 3

LTsatch
01-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Watching the Bruins game, Clutterbuck tried to slew-foot Chara, Chara punched him in the face. :)

Kenesky
01-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Never forget Tom Lysiak slew footing a linesman while playing for the Hawks back in the early eighties. I think he sat for 20 games.

DtownDogs
01-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Watching the Bruins game, Clutterbuck tried to slew-foot Chara, Chara punched him in the face. :)

This is not surprising. Clutterbuck is a dirty gutless player. Thanks to the Islanders for that fantastic trade!

Erix_The_Red
01-28-2014, 07:55 AM
So despite all the descriptions I still didn't understand what this was all about. I imagined someone winding up and kicking the feet sideways out from under someone. So I watched this video and am now even more confused. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heObnWOtgVQ
All but maybe one of those looked like incidental contact from having your legs close together during a chase or check.

LTsatch
01-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Better example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOWUohS0nbM

supe
01-28-2014, 10:14 AM
So despite all the descriptions I still didn't understand what this was all about. I imagined someone winding up and kicking the feet sideways out from under someone. So I watched this video and am now even more confused. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heObnWOtgVQ
All but maybe one of those looked like incidental contact from having your legs close together during a chase or check.

They all look pretty blatant to me. Intentionally knocking one or both legs out from under the opponent, usually at the same time knocking or pulling back the upper body.

jcarter7669
01-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Here's a good example from Crosby. Watch how he gets his arm in front of Callahan and then kicks his feet out from behind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKr2Et0THzM

DaveStPaul
01-28-2014, 10:28 AM

Well, that's part of it -- if you're the kind of player who'd do it, you do it so that it doesn't look obvious. That's part of what makes it such a punk move. Everybody who plays knows how to do that, you just don't.

In basketball you come across guys who wait till you're up in the air, then they slide under you -- just enough -- and when you come down you flip over onto your head. Or they stick out their hips when you're in the air and knock your feet out from under you. They always say, "What? I was just moving into position." But everybody who plays knows what happened, and knows they could do that any time; but you just don't.

Erix_The_Red
01-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Here's a good example from Crosby. Watch how he gets his arm in front of Callahan and then kicks his feet out from behind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKr2Et0THzM

This is a pretty good one. As Dave noted though, they do seem to be quite good at making it look like they are just normal leg strides as they are skating.

hockeykrazy
01-29-2014, 08:13 AM
This is a pretty good one. As Dave noted though, they do seem to be quite good at making it look like they are just normal leg strides as they are skating.

A lot of times a slew foot can be unintentional like when you do deep through crossovers and the trail foot get tangled with another player when you are trying to recover.

Another bad one is when a player is standing straight up and their knees are locked, if you just barely touch the back of the knee(usually with a stick on faceoffs) they will go down like a ton of bricks.

I remember a lot of kids doing this to each other in grade or middle school. Except they did it with the front of their knee, kind of like the charlie horse in the front or side of the thigh.

Split-N
01-29-2014, 09:10 AM
....Has anyone ever heard this penalty called before?

You haven't heard about it so much because it has always been tucked away under the Tripping rule. Not sure if it has been broken out as a separate infraction or not in the NCAA Rulebook. But no matter. As others on this thread have pointed out, slew-footing is one of the dirtiest plays in all of hockey and a really good way to blow out a knee.

elsid
01-29-2014, 09:44 AM
A slew foot ended the collegiate career of Jamie Baker of SLU in the 1989-90 season. It should definitely be a five and a game DQ as an intent to injure play!

TimU
01-29-2014, 10:27 AM
A slew foot ended the collegiate career of Jamie Baker of SLU in the 1989-90 season. It should definitely be a five and a game DQ as an intent to injure play!

I can't believe I'm about to question you on something like this, but wasn't it 88-89? I remember Jamie being one year behind me and graduating in '89.

LTsatch
01-29-2014, 10:59 AM
The only Jamie Baker shown for SLU on Hockeydb had a shortened senior campaign in 88-89. went on to a 150 pt NHL career.

TimU
01-29-2014, 11:38 AM
The only Jamie Baker shown for SLU on Hockeydb had a shortened senior campaign in 88-89. went on to a 150 pt NHL career.

Voted San Jose MVP by his teammates, and scored scored one of the biggest goals in Sharks history (http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=67981), in 1994. Also one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet.

ibanezist00
01-29-2014, 11:48 AM
You have never heard of it because you have no clue about hockey. Stick to your 1000 posts about tv shows etc.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the very definition of irony: a useless post complaining about useless posts, probably from someone else who never knew about slew-footing (to be honest I've been watching the sport for 10+ years and have never heard of it until now either) in the first place.

hockeyplayer1015
01-29-2014, 12:22 PM
I would venture that to those who came into hockey as a spectator, most would not know the term. No fault of their own, just that it isn't a widespread action, and even more rarely penalized.

However, I would guess that most players learn at a relatively young age that it is a gutless and dangerous way to contact another player.

MarkEagleUSA
01-29-2014, 04:24 PM
However, I would guess that most players learn at a relatively young age that it is a gutless and dangerous way to contact another player.and the rest perfect it to an art form (here's looking at you, Sydney). :eek:

cross cheque
01-29-2014, 05:01 PM
I would venture that to those who came into hockey as a spectator, most would not know the term. No fault of their own, just that it isn't a widespread action, and even more rarely penalized.

However, I would guess that most players learn at a relatively young age that it is a gutless and dangerous way to contact another player.

As soon as I heard the names Marchand, Subban, and Crosby I just had to chuckle what a bunch of a-holes. Jack in the box is another play not widely known to a spectator either but not nearly as dirty or dangerous.

bigblue_dl
01-29-2014, 09:27 PM
You have never heard of it because you have no clue about hockey. Stick to your 1000 posts about tv shows etc.

Of course hokydad needs to jump into a perfectly civil conversation and **** all over it like a 13 year old drama queen.