PDA

View Full Version : SCSU @ UNO Fri/Sat Jan 31st/Feb 1st: We Wanna Fight, Where's Matt White?!?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SCSU Euro
01-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Well, big series for the NCHC standings, SCSU coming off a 3rd place finish in North Star Cup, losing to MN, beating MSUM, UNO coming off taking 4 road points from Miami, and taking 5 points from BYE.

I am excited to make my 4th hockey trip to Omaha. Based on the last game each squad has played, I recommend to both sides staying out of the box.

SCSU Euro
01-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?...

Tipsy McStagger
01-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Uh, ya got any gum?

SCSU Euro
01-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Do you enjoy the Arli$$ show Paul?

Dude Love
01-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Who the balls is Matt White?

MAVFANJEFF
01-27-2014, 09:10 PM
matt white is probably one of the best players to ever step on the ice here. And probably one of the stupidest. He got kicked of the team this past summer for engaging in a fight with some black people which he hurled the n word at. Totally stupid thing to do. He embarrassed the school, the team, the fans, Omaha and maybe himself. None the less, if you guys come to town have a safe trip. You're better off getting a room downtown and parking your car there. Everything you'll need is within walking distance of the arena. The discount coupons for $9 off per ticket are still available at any No Frills or Bag N Save supermarket.

Dude Love
01-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Oh right. I had a feeling it was that guy.

SCSU Euro
01-27-2014, 10:38 PM
The discount coupons for $9 off per ticket are still available at any No Frills or Bag N Save supermarket.

Ummmm.... what now? What do we need to buy to get $9 off a ticket?

MAVFANJEFF
01-28-2014, 05:01 AM

go to the store and pick up the coupons. Redeem them at the box office at Century Link.

Biddco
01-28-2014, 08:56 AM

The one we tried didn't have them however. I'd call ahead and find one that does. We went to the one south of downtown Omaha in "Little Mexico" as I called it.

PS: I didn't know SCSU has a Yooper and a kid from Crystal on their team. That's cool.

MAVFANJEFF
01-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Sorry guys, I just scanned a sheet of those coupons and tried to post them. This forum will only allow images to be inserted via URL's. Yes the No Frills on south 24th street is closest to the arena.

The Exiled One
01-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Sorry guys, I just scanned a sheet of those coupons and tried to post them. This forum will only allow images to be inserted via URL's. Yes the No Frills on south 24th street is closest to the arena.
Upload your image here: http://imgur.com/

Use this code to make the image appear: < *img src="image-link-goes-here"><*/img> ...just take out the asterisks and insert the image link.

MAVFANJEFF
01-28-2014, 05:07 PM
*******http://imgur.com/u8XB99G********
< img src=>http://imgur.com/u8XB99G</img>

here's the link after I uploaded the image:
http://imgur.com/u8XB99G
It's not working and I don't have the patience for crap like this.

well it works now

hockeykrazy
01-29-2014, 06:06 AM
*******http://imgur.com/u8XB99G********
< img src=>http://imgur.com/u8XB99G</img>

here's the link after I uploaded the image:
http://imgur.com/u8XB99G
It's not working and I don't have the patience for crap like this.

well it works now

Do you know if section 101 sells out regularly or if normally there are tickets available the day of the game?

purpleinnebraska
01-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Do you know if section 101 sells out regularly or if normally there are tickets available the day of the game?

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but nothing there sells out. The arena is too large for college hockey (Hence, the building of an on-campus arena). Think Ohio State, but with a better team.

Red Cows
01-29-2014, 03:11 PM
I don't mean this to sound harsh, but nothing there sells out. The arena is too large for college hockey (Hence, the building of an on-campus arena). Think Ohio State, but with a better team.

Sorta correct, UNO has only sold out one game ever in the Centurylink Center.

That said, please see this:

http://www.unomaha.edu/news/maverick-daily/2014/01/sell-out-st-cloud.php

Easy to get cheap tickets. Both nights.

Red Cows
01-29-2014, 03:43 PM
I am excited to make my 4th hockey trip to Omaha.

Will you be wearing some garish SCSU outfit that makes you as easy as to locate as Biddco was 3 weeks ago here in Omaha?

If you didn't see:

https://twitter.com/Biddco/status/422554772156477441/photo/1

MAVFANJEFF
01-29-2014, 09:31 PM

True true true and true. Meanwhile there are the dingbats out there screaming that our new arena will be too small. I presented one of those coupons and 101 was sold out so they gave me a seat in another section. Did not know about the sell out promo that redcows mentioned because once again the UNO marketing dept is a big joke.

Red Cows
01-30-2014, 09:26 AM
True true true and true. Meanwhile there are the dingbats out there screaming that our new arena will be too small. I presented one of those coupons and 101 was sold out so they gave me a seat in another section. Did not know about the sell out promo that redcows mentioned because once again the UNO marketing dept is a big joke.

I am one of those people that thinks the new arena is too small and I'll argue that point to my dying breath.

But, I agree that the "UNO Marketing Department" is an absolute utter joke (if it even really exists).

You don't build an arena that seats 7,399 (what it is now being said is the final capacity number) when you have averaged more fans than that per game in 9 out of 16 years of the program's existence. And, in many of those seasons, the team stunk to the high heaven. This is simple "Business 101" type logic. Plus, as you said, the team is poorly promoted. That's an understatement, in my book. Imagine what might be possible if the team was well promoted and was a consistent performer.

Building an arena this small in the middle of a major metropolitan area that has a 3 decades long history of outstanding support for hockey in general is going to a be an albatross around the neck of this program from the day it opens unless they build it so that it can be expanded, much the same way they did the Qwest (now CenturyLink) Center.

For those that don't know, UNO, in it's 16 season existence, has played to well over 150 nights where there were more than 7,399 people in the building, to give you some perspective. This program has played to numerous nights (more than a dozen) where there was more than 10,000 people in the building. They have played to crowds larger than 12,000 on at least 5 occasions and crowds over 15,000 on a couple of those.

The Omaha Storm Chasers built their own baseball stadium here in Omaha three seasons ago right here in Papillion, where I live. Their argument was that the Rosenblatt Stadium capacity was too large and this somehow hurt attendance (a specious argument of the worst kind). They moved into their new, much smaller digs when built and promptly won their first AAA Championship since 1990, and, attendance went down from the season before!. In a new stadium with a championship team!

In the FWIW department, there should more than 7,399 in the building both nights this weekend. Quite a bit more, maybe, on Friday night (although I will temper this by saying the weather is looking a little dicey this weekend, now).

At a minimum, UNO needs a building that seats around 10,000 people. I'd live with that. If it were up to me, I'd make it 12,000. 7,399 is ridiculous. UNO has a proven track record that they can put fannies in those seats. I also think attendance would be further helped by where the new arena is going to be (smack dab in the middle of the city's population center) as opposed to downtown, which is an enormous jaunt (by Omaha standards) back downtown for anybody living out west on a Friday night. This is the reason the reason UNO always has bigger crowds for Saturday night games than Friday night games. Better still, since the new arena is now on-campus, the student attendance (which is now poor) should be affected pretty dramatically.

I, for one, am very unhappy with the what is purported to be the new arena size and I have let the athletic department know it, too. And, I am FAR from alone on this topic.

Tipsy McStagger
01-30-2014, 09:49 AM
According to this thread, they are discounting tickets. 7,400 x $30 > 10,000 x $21.

I am sure they didn't arbitrarily decide to build a new arena to hold less people than the current one. There are many reasons for why they did it in addition to the ones you listed like parking availability, the land area they are putting it on, etc.

For example, look at the Twins. The Metrodome could hold nearly 56,000 for baseball. Target Field only holds 39,000. They didn't build it smaller for the heck of it. The plot of land they had to build on was pretty small. But they probably knew they could make that up by increased ticket prices. Which I am guessing is in the future for UNO.