Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NMU @ Anchorage: We're Going Up North Again, Eh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Well that was frustrating.
    Pfffft...great effort.
    If I had a cool pic or saying it would go here.

Comment

Re: NMU @ Anchorage: We're Going Up North Again, Eh?

Why were people leaving with 4 min to go? Were they showing Matt how they support the program or trying to beat the 45 second wait getting out of the lot? UAA has many amazing fans. I've been welcomed here like nowhere else. You have a terrific community here. But You have to get those tarps lifted. Rip me if you like, but the UAA program needs butts in seats.
      Last edited by davyd83; 01-25-2014, 11:41 AM.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I didn't see the game, however I was following along on WCHA.com. I heard the officiating was a little bad last night? 24 penalty minutes 12 on each side. How was it from the people who saw it?

Another question, our announcer was talking about how Sullivan was out of date and behind the times a little. Does UAA have any plans for a new arena or renovations any time soon?

Comment

Yippie Skippy!

Solid game based on reading the accounts from last night... Sounds like Siemer has kept things rolling...
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by NMU Fan View Post
            Another question, our announcer was talking about how Sullivan was out of date and behind the times a little. Does UAA have any plans for a new arena or renovations any time soon?
            Yep, a brand new $109 Million facility named the Alaska Airlines Center is currently being built right next to campus.

... Only, they couldn't spare the extra $100,000 or so to add an ice plant to the building, so Hockey isn't being moved to the new facility.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I didn't see the game, however I was following along on WCHA.com. I heard the officiating was a little bad last night? 24 penalty minutes 12 on each side. How was it from the people who saw it?

The Sully is very outdated, and yes there are plans to fix some things. They'll be adding a new floor, and new ice making system, new lower bowl seats, new boards and new NHL seamless glass. Unfortunately it won't happen for another year. The Aces (our pro team who also plays there) are working on getting sponsors to pay for a jumbo tron center ice score board as well.

We brought friends last night who had never been to a college hockey game, and they had a lot of fun. I can't remember a loss that was so entertaining. That game seemed very fast paced ... Northern can really turn on the jets when they want to!

As far as penalties, there were some iffy calls and non calls. Cameron skated over to a Northern player who was laying on the ice, and the official immediately called an unsportsmanlike penalty. I can only assume Brett said something he shouldn't have. Tsk tsk Brett! Dahlstrom slashed a Seawolf behind his knee pretty hard that would have given UAA a 2 man advantage, but it wasn't called. UAA got away with a couple trips. Hubsy was getting mugged out there, but he's pretty yappy so who knows what he was saying, lol.

Northern was impressive, one of the best teams I've seen at the Sully this year. Hopefully Thomas can come up with a game plan to get a much needed win tonight - with the loss last night they have pretty much kissed away home ice for the playoffs, IMO. UAA needs to get their power play clicking, and get their opponent away from the front of the net. Kamal was screened pretty badly last night, they were really packing it in in front of him.

It was nice to see a bit larger crowd there, I hope we see the girls from the Military Academy tonight. The guys were awesome last night.
              Originally Posted by aparch
              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                Yep, a brand new $109 Million facility named the Alaska Airlines Center is currently being built right next to campus.

... Only, they couldn't spare the extra $100,000 or so to add an ice plant to the building, so Hockey isn't being moved to the new facility.
                Cobb said it would be too costly to convert the basketball floor to ice every time they had a game there.
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                  Cobb said it would be too costly to convert the basketball floor to ice every time they had a game there.
                  That's how we do it here in Marquette. Pair of basketball games beginning at 11 AM on a Saturday, convert back to the ice right after. I've seen it done before it seems like a fairly simple process with a good arena crew but I'm sure it's harder than it looks. I'm not big on financial smarts so I'm not sure how much an arena meant for court and ice usually costs?

Comment

That's how we do it here in Marquette. Pair of basketball games beginning at 11 AM on a Saturday, convert back to the ice right after. I've seen it done before it seems like a fairly simple process with a good arena crew but I'm sure it's harder than it looks. I'm not big on financial smarts so I'm not sure how much an arena meant for court and ice usually costs?
                    I believe they said it was several thousand dollars to do it each time ... multiply that by how many times you have to do it and it adds up. However, the added revenue from more butts in the seats would pay for it. Better facility = better recruits = more winning = more butts in seats.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal9K View Post
                      Pfffft...great effort.
                      It was a great effort, it was frustrating in the sense that they had a great effort but not rewarded for it.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

The Sully is very outdated, and yes there are plans to fix some things. They'll be adding a new floor, and new ice making system, new lower bowl seats, new boards and new NHL seamless glass. Unfortunately it won't happen for another year. The Aces (our pro team who also plays there) are working on getting sponsors to pay for a jumbo tron center ice score board as well.

We brought friends last night who had never been to a college hockey game, and they had a lot of fun. I can't remember a loss that was so entertaining. That game seemed very fast paced ... Northern can really turn on the jets when they want to!

As far as penalties, there were some iffy calls and non calls. Cameron skated over to a Northern player who was laying on the ice, and the official immediately called an unsportsmanlike penalty. I can only assume Brett said something he shouldn't have. Tsk tsk Brett! Dahlstrom slashed a Seawolf behind his knee pretty hard that would have given UAA a 2 man advantage, but it wasn't called. UAA got away with a couple trips. Hubsy was getting mugged out there, but he's pretty yappy so who knows what he was saying, lol.

Northern was impressive, one of the best teams I've seen at the Sully this year. Hopefully Thomas can come up with a game plan to get a much needed win tonight - with the loss last night they have pretty much kissed away home ice for the playoffs, IMO. UAA needs to get their power play clicking, and get their opponent away from the front of the net. Kamal was screened pretty badly last night, they were really packing it in in front of him.

It was nice to see a bit larger crowd there, I hope we see the girls from the Military Academy tonight. The guys were awesome last night.
                        That group behind the penalty box was loud, rowdy and really added to the atmosphere at the game. As far as the officiating, neither team gained an undue advantage from it. But there were some baffling calls and non calls both ways.
                        Last edited by davyd83; 01-25-2014, 11:43 AM.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

An ice plant costs a lot more than $100,000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            An ice plant costs a lot more than $100,000.
                            No sh*t, but if you're spending $109 Million and making "value engineering" changes that ADD to the cost (additional seating, etc.), is not having an ice plant (or at least building the pipework into the building) that much of an additional burden?

The University of Nebraska is building a brand new basketball arena. They're putting in an ice plant for the hell of it even though they don't have any plans to use it.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I believe they said it was several thousand dollars to do it each time ... multiply that by how many times you have to do it and it adds up. However, the added revenue from more butts in the seats would pay for it. Better facility = better recruits = more winning = more butts in seats.
                              Plus money saved not having to pay rent, transport equipment, lost revenue from concessions and parking... Needless to say it wasn't a well thought out plan.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

No sh*t, but if you're spending $109 Million and making "value engineering" changes that ADD to the cost (additional seating, etc.), is not having an ice plant (or at least building the pipework into the building) that much of an additional burden?

The University of Nebraska is building a brand new basketball arena. They're putting in an ice plant for the hell of it even though they don't have any plans to use it.
                                This was a major beef for many of the hockey alumni. Letters were written to the editor of the ADN calling out the former athletic director. At least put in the infrastructure so that ice could be added at a later date, but their pleas fell on deaf ears.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X