Outdoor Games in Boston Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor Games in Boston Area

I tried posting this on the HE blog recapping the subpar Frozen Fenway experience this year, but it wouldn't let me log in for some reason. Anyway, here's my thoughts on outdoor games moving forward. The blog mentioned the possibility of an NHL game at Gillette that HE could piggyback. I think they should consider Harvard Stadium.

It would have much better sightlines than Fenway while maintaining a similar capacity (30,000 that could probably be expanded with bleachers) and way more intimate than Gillette. Plus the stands are about 10 feet above ground, so every seat has a decent angle. I sat in RF Box 8 at Frozen Fenway and found myself watching the jumbotron more than the actual game because I couldn't see the puck due to the boards directly in my line of vision.

Thoughts, anyone? I know most are sick of outdoor games, and frankly, I am too. But if they must continue (HE needs a cash grab each year, which is understandable), it'd be pretty neat to do it at Harvard. Maybe some Harvard fans would actually go if they did this.

Re: Outdoor Games in Boston Area

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    I tried posting this on the HE blog recapping the subpar Frozen Fenway experience this year, but it wouldn't let me log in for some reason. Anyway, here's my thoughts on outdoor games moving forward. The blog mentioned the possibility of an NHL game at Gillette that HE could piggyback. I think they should consider Harvard Stadium.

It would have much better sightlines than Fenway while maintaining a similar capacity (30,000 that could probably be expanded with bleachers) and way more intimate than Gillette. Plus the stands are about 10 feet above ground, so every seat has a decent angle. I sat in RF Box 8 at Frozen Fenway and found myself watching the jumbotron more than the actual game because I couldn't see the puck due to the boards directly in my line of vision.

Thoughts, anyone? I know most are sick of outdoor games, and frankly, I am too. But if they must continue (HE needs a cash grab each year, which is understandable), it'd be pretty neat to do it at Harvard. Maybe some Harvard fans would actually go if they did this.
    BC fans have been similarly feeling the same way about Alumni Stadium (BC's football stadium, not sure if you're familiar with the name). Like Harvard the stands start about 10 feet up. The seats are right on the field. Sight lines wouldn't be too bad, and with it being on campus yuo might be able to make a decent tradition out of it.

We need to have a football practice facility built first because right now the field is under a giant bubble for the winter for football practice -- but some of us have been thinking that would be a decent event, if we're going to keep going with this outdoor hockey thing.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Nothing beats the sightlines from the Pavillion Box seats at Fenway but for some reason no one wanted to get off their butts and move up there. Otherwise yeah, Fenway sucks
      Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
        Nothing beats the sightlines from the Pavillion Box seats at Fenway but for some reason no one wanted to get off their butts and move up there. Otherwise yeah, Fenway sucks
        Agree it's a good view looking down on the ice... if you have the eyes of an eagle.
        That's quite some distance from the ice surface... I have 20/20 vision and need binoculars.
        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
          I tried going up there but my ticket was checked. It was really frustrating with about 1000 people in the stands

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
            Agree it's a good view looking down on the ice... if you have the eyes of an eagle.
            That's quite some distance from the ice surface... I have 20/20 vision and need binoculars.
            It's a better view than you will get in any football stadium. I mean come on, that aint bad
            *******http://i.imgur.com/LqCvMG8.jpg********

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
            I tried going up there but my ticket was checked. It was really frustrating with about 1000 people in the stands
            We just got a couple for the upper and then did the ol' switcheroo.
            Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Have run their course
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                ran their course years ago but since it's run by fenway they'll continue to milk every penny out of it
                fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                  fixed!
                  Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Tony- I agree Alumni stadium would be a good alternative as well. I've been to a couple football games there, so I'm familiar with it. The stands are right on top of the field, like at Harvard, so it's very intimate and close. It's a little bigger than Harvard, which is either a benefit or detriment depending on the crowd. Since the event is likely to be held over winter break, when it's coldest, students won't be around at either school (meaning attendance won't be impacted by whether or not the stadium is on a campus).

In terms of history, Harvard Stadium can't be beat, which is why that was my first thought. But Alumni Stadium would also be a major upgrade over Fenway.

Preferably, this whole thing will go away for at least a while. But realistically, it's not going to. Let's just hope they move it away from Fenway.

Comment

Working...
                  X