Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BU at BC,Friday, Jan. 17 Thread

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
    They have nothing to lose, so might as well throw the entire kitchen (forget about just throwing the kitchen sink) at them and see what happens.
    Agree 1000%. They need to go out there, forget the system, play fast and loose and let instincts take over. They also need to remember what's it's like have some fun! Enjoy the atmosphere and skate!!!!! At least it might be fun to watch...as opposed to watching them circle behind their own net and get their pockets picked.

(Kind of like the last 10 minutes of the Maine game...when they made it a game.)

As an aside, if Johnny Gaudreau doesn't win the Hobey it's a total sham.
    Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      won't surprise you if BU wins? i think it would surprise everyone else. on paper, this should be something like a 5-1 win for BC.
      If anyone can be surprised by any outcome from BU, then they haven't been watching this team for the past 4 years. I don't feel like doing the research, but I'll bet BU's winning percentage against top 25 ranked teams is better than its winning percentage against the bottom 25 teams since the start of the 2012-2013 season. Do I expect BU to win? No. Would I be surprised if they did? Also no. Did you think BU was going to beat BC in the semi-finals last year?

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
      It's going to be 8-1 to 7-2 range. I've got most of the scores right this season...Even Bentley.

BU's only chance is to play as fast and aggressive as they can and go right at BC. If they try to get into some kind of cat-and-mouse protect the puck thing they're doomed. They've got to go North-South.
      I agree. They keep getting blown out anyway. They might as well go out and just not play defense and try to score some goals to give their fans at least something to cheer for. Losing 10-5 is a whole lot more fun than losing 5-0. And you might even catch them off guard.

It would also be nice to see some pushing and shoving from BU. Maybe even throw some checks. Something to show they actually care about the game. If Quinn tells them to go out and try to play shut down defense and to not retaliate to any instigating and just let BC walk all over them just so they don't take a penalty he will succeed in completely taking any life out of this team.

BU goals of the game:

1. Give up fewer than 5 breakaways to BC (that's one on goal with no defenders). Although I suppose this goes against my proposed strategy above.
      2. Take (at least) 28 shots on goal
      3. Score a goal (not an own goal)
      4. Get 3 good solid checks throughout the game that elicit a response from the crowd (clean hits)
      5. Go 10 consecutive minutes without giving up a goal
      6. Don't let the puck get by defenders at the blue line along the boards more than 8 times

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
        Did you think BU was going to beat BC in the semi-finals last year?
        That was hardly a huge mismatch like this game is though. BU wasn't horrible/decimated like they appear to be now and this BC team is probably better than last year's.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
          If anyone can be surprised by any outcome from BU, then they haven't been watching this team for the past 4 years. I don't feel like doing the research, but I'll bet BU's winning percentage against top 25 ranked teams is better than its winning percentage against the bottom 25 teams since the start of the 2012-2013 season. Do I expect BU to win? No. Would I be surprised if they did? Also no. Did you think BU was going to beat BC in the semi-finals last year?

I agree. They keep getting blown out anyway. They might as well go out and just not play defense and try to score some goals to give their fans at least something to cheer for. Losing 10-5 is a whole lot more fun than losing 5-0. And you might even catch them off guard.

It would also be nice to see some pushing and shoving from BU. Maybe even throw some checks. Something to show they actually care about the game. If Quinn tells them to go out and try to play shut down defense and to not retaliate to any instigating and just let BC walk all over them just so they don't take a penalty he will succeed in completely taking any life out of this team.

BU goals of the game:

1. Give up fewer than 5 breakaways to BC (that's one on goal with no defenders). Although I suppose this goes against my proposed strategy above.
          2. Take (at least) 28 shots on goal
          3. Score a goal (not an own goal)
          4. Get 3 good solid checks throughout the game that elicit a response from the crowd (clean hits)
          5. Go 10 consecutive minutes without giving up a goal
          6. Don't let the puck get by defenders at the blue line along the boards more than 8 times
          You forgot these:
          7. When on the power play don't let the puck dribble through your legs (Oksanen) resulting in a 2-0 breakaway
          8. If OC is in goal it's OK not to drop into the butterfly the first inkling of a shot, you get beat over the shoulder every time man!!!! (We've all seen it and your opponents have seen the tape)
          Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
            Agree 1000%. They need to go out there, forget the system, play fast and loose and let instincts take over. They also need to remember what's it's like have some fun! Enjoy the atmosphere and skate!!!!! At least it might be fun to watch...as opposed to watching them circle behind their own net and get their pockets picked.

(Kind of like the last 10 minutes of the Maine game...when they made it a game.)

As an aside, if Johnny Gaudreau doesn't win the Hobey it's a total sham.
            In the Freep yesterday, Quinn more or less admitted that the current roster doesn't give him what he needs to play the style he wants. I hope the adjustments he makes will allow them to play fast, loose, and not be afraid of making mistakes.

The only expectation the rest of the season should be for this team to give it 110% every game and whatever happens happens. I'd much rather see effort-based mistakes than miscues b/c they're hesitant, tentative and thinking too much about systems/positioning/etc.

Comment

BU will dress 17 skaters, not 16. Feeling much more confident.
              The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

good 20 minutes from bu. not much offense for bc.

Comment

so apparently it's throwback night? old bc logo on the scoreboard, students dressing the part. thought i was gonna see bc come out with the old eagle logo. nope, same unis. talk about half assing it.

Comment

I just tuned in for a few seconds and saw the third BC goal. Very nice passing and execution but BU's defense was ATROCIOUS. What happened to them? They looked like they'd be at least decent at the beginning of the year.

Comment

that was a much different 20 minutes. could be five or six but bu still hanging around

Comment

refs trying to make a game of it now

Comment

really is amazing how one bad goal can turn a potential blowout into a nail biter

full credit to bu for battling to the end

Comment

Good Job, BU! Good effort! Participation trophies for everyone! And fruit punch, too!
                            Chris V
                            Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
                              Good Job, BU! Good effort! Participation trophies for everyone! And fruit punch, too!
                              What does that bu ticket ad say " don't miss this historic season" . Embarrassing that BC can sleep walk through a game and easily take down the "hungry " Terriers . Welcome to UMass East

Comment

i saw a bu team that played hard for the most part. as the game went on they just started to make more and more mistakes. as for bc, i'm actually glad it ended like this. a good reminder that if they don't play better tomorrow, they will lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X