PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota hosts Ohio State: 1/17 & 1/18

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Driftryder
01-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Minnesota hosts Ohio State Friday night at TCF Bank Stadium 8pm for the Hockey City Classic. Saturday game is at 5pm and is part of Hockey Day Minnesota 2014, it will be broadcast on FSN. The Gophers are coming off a sweep at Penn State, Ohio State won and tied at home against Michigan State.

Go

gopher wes
01-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Can't wait for Friday!!!

D2D
01-14-2014, 09:35 AM
Can't wait for Friday!!!

Naturally, it's supposed to be the coldest day of the week. Temps in the low single digits at the puck drop? Sure hope the wind dies down by then...

Driftryder
01-14-2014, 09:42 AM
The cold weather will make for some great ice though, unlike in Chicago.

I'm looking forward to going Friday night.

goldy_331
01-14-2014, 09:59 AM

Actually it may be too cold. The ice gets brittle and chips out easily in that case.

gopher wes
01-14-2014, 10:04 AM

Exactly. I'm looking forward to it. I'm just going to wear layers on layers on layers as well as winter boots. No winter boots was the biggest mistake I made in Chicago.

Steve_MN
01-14-2014, 10:08 AM
Exactly. I'm looking forward to it. I'm just going to wear layers on layers on layers as well as winter boots. No winter boots was the biggest mistake I made in Chicago.
I tested my gear out on Saturday and was overheating. Yes, it'll be 25 degrees colder. but I was minus the hoodie, jersey and face mask, so I should be just fine on Friday :D

Driftryder
01-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Actually it may be too cold. The ice gets brittle and chips out easily in that case.

I figured it would have to be below zero for that to happen, but I'm no expert on ice. :)

Looks like a high of around 12 and low in the single digits.

gopher wes
01-14-2014, 10:20 AM
I tested my gear out on Saturday and was overheating. Yes, it'll be 25 degrees colder. but I was minus the hoodie, jersey and face mask, so I should be just fine on Friday :D
As I said on GPL, use your best judgement on layers, but make sure to wear winter boots!:)

I'm not too worried about the layers because I'm an ice fisherman;), but cold feet are no fun!

ScoobyDoo
01-14-2014, 10:34 AM
As I said on GPL, use your best judgement on layers, but make sure to wear winter boots!:)

I'm not too worried about the layers because I'm an ice fisherman;), but cold feet are no fun!

This. I didn't wear proper footwear to the Sconnie/Minnesota football game and it was not fun.

goldy_331
01-14-2014, 11:51 AM
I figured it would have to be below zero for that to happen, but I'm no expert on ice. :)

IIRC from maaaany years ago when I drove a Zamboni, ideal temp for hockey ice was around 18 F for the brine. I worry that nighttime temps are forecast around 0 which will make it brittle. May be OK when the ladies start and get worse as the men's game goes on.

And I've become a wimp in the cold after spending a decade in warmer climes and getting old.:o

4four4
01-14-2014, 01:37 PM
Minnesota hosts Ohio State Friday night at TCF Bank Stadium 8pm for the Hockey City Classic. Saturday game is at 5pm and is part of Hockey Day Minnesota 2014, it will be broadcast on FSN. The Gophers are coming off a sweep at Penn State, Ohio State won and tied at home against Michigan State.

Go

Dear OSU fans and OSU players,

This is how we roll in the land of 10,000 Lakes.

Best wishes,

444 ;)

5mn_Major
01-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Dear OSU fans and OSU players,

This is how we roll in the land of 10,000 Lakes.

Best wishes,

444 ;)

Hold your breadth...I don't think other USCHO B1G fans exist.

captain beefheart
01-14-2014, 02:27 PM

I can't wait. I will be in layers as well as the two eight year olds that will be with me.As long as it stays above zero, I think the ice will be just fine. We will probably be able to slide into the third period of the women's game before a trip to Campus Pizza......Good news!

mnstate0fhockey
01-14-2014, 04:41 PM
I'll be at the outdoor game as well. Cannot wait!

JF_Gophers
01-14-2014, 05:45 PM
I'll probably go outside this weekend. So that's sort of like being at the game.

The Rube
01-14-2014, 09:40 PM
IIRC, around 15-20 degrees is the best temp for outdoor ice. I could be very well mistaken, though.

As for dressing for the weather, dress like you would for an F5 tailgate/MN @ MTU tailgate. It's been that cold at those things before, and we've been outside for just as long, if not longer.

I have found, even in tennis shoes, getting those foot warmer inserts are well worth it. Otherwise, like others said....layers, layers, layers.

Hockeybuckeye
01-14-2014, 11:07 PM
Sounds like you guys will be having a great time. Doesn't sound like there's any worry for rain like they had in Boston's outdoor game. LOL!
Wish I could be there for it but TV will have to suffice.
Last Friday we came out of the gate hard and had some good rough & tumble hockey with Sparty, Saturday we played slow & lazy. I hope we give a good account of ourselves Friday against you.

MGoBlueHockey
01-14-2014, 11:14 PM
I feel like I'm wanting ohio to win almost every week in the B1G. The only teams I don't want them to beat are penn state and obviously, Michigan. Hell, I even watched their women's team beat minny in a shootout Saturday at intermission of Michigan's game.

I feel kind of dirty.

The Rube
01-14-2014, 11:29 PM
I feel like I'm wanting ohio to win almost every week in the B1G. The only teams I don't want them to beat are penn state and obviously, Michigan. Hell, I even watched their women's team beat minny in a shootout Saturday at intermission of Michigan's game.

I feel kind of dirty.

They tied. Still, embarrassing to MN. Horrible.