Sacred Heart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacred Heart?

I see no thread for SHU's season. I think this school has the chance to become another QU, being the second largest Catholic school in New England. I am not a Catholic or Christian but doesn't matter to me. Someone contact Bobby Valentine and get him to go all-in on hockey! Build a 2-3000 seat rink on-campus! And change the **** logo and maybe name. The logo sucks. "Pioneers" doesn't sound right, either, when your state's name is a native American word. Those of us in CT should support SHU, IMO. Go to games. We can use a fourth program and SHU is a perfect candidate. The school is getting donations and is still growing.

As for this season so far, not much good to say! Couldn't even win one vs RMU!

PS: SHU needs a new coach. Someone ante up 200K to hire a Rand Pecknold.

Re: Sacred Heart?

Until they get a real rink and put out a real commitment they will never even come close to becoming another QU. I don't even see them taking the next step with a new rink. Total pipe dream for them to ever think they will get on the level of a Quinnipiac.
    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
    https://***********/QHockeyBlog
    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

I am still surprised that SHU is still a D1 program. Maybe little Bobby can figure something out to bring them back up the ladder. Up until three seasons ago they were contending for an Atlantic title, unfortunately that still did not help attendance. As we saw last season, there are already two great strong programs in the greater New Haven/ Bridgeport metro area, along with the Sound Tigers and popular high school hockey, there may just not be enough college hockey fans in the area on a given weekend. I am an avid hockey fan and live 4 miles from SHU's home rink and have still not been to a game.
      Last edited by LTsatch; 01-10-2014, 09:07 AM.
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
        I am still surprised that SHU is still a D1 program. Maybe little Bobby can figure something out to bring them back up the ladder. Up until three seasons ago they were contending for an Atlantic title, unfortunately that still did not help attendance. As we saw last season, there are already two great strong programs in the greater New Haven/ Bridgeport metro area, along with the Sounds Tigers and popular high school hockey, there may just not be enough college hockey fans in the area on a given weekend. I am an avid hockey fan and live 4 miles from SHU's home rink and have still not been to a game.
        Who would want to go to the dump that is the Milford Ice Pavilion?
        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
        https://***********/QHockeyBlog
        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
          Who would want to go to the dump that is the Milford Ice Pavilion?
          Don't forget where you guys came from, another dump of a rink. QU is very lucky to have a dedicated AD with vision, I don't think SHU has the resources to make the quantum leap that QU took, too risky. They could take small steps and try to play more games in Bridgeport, but how many fans are going to show to justify the expense of renting the arena, UConn will have the same problem in Hartford.
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

Don't forget where you guys came from, another dump of a rink. QU is very lucky to have a dedicated AD with vision, I don't think SHU has the resources to make the quantum leap that QU took, too risky. They could take small steps and try to play more games in Bridgeport, but how many fans are going to show to justify the expense of renting the arena, UConn will have the same problem in Hartford.
            Hey now, Northford was a cool place. Having a decent arena with great facilities does help to bring in recruits, though.

Comment

Any Division One team that plays in something called an Ice Pavilion deserves to be mocked! Of course they could upgrade to Bridgeport's lovely Wonderland of Ice, where Fairfield Prep draws more than SHU.
              Last edited by LTsatch; 01-10-2014, 11:28 AM.
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

Any Division One team that plays in something called an Ice Pavilion deserves to be mocked! Of course they could upgrade to Bridgeport's lovely Wonderland of Ice, where Fairfield Prep draws more than SHU.
                What's funny is I went to Fairfield Prep and I've never been there. Did go to last year's championship game at Ingalls. Someone from ND-WH wanted to beat me up after the game. But that does sound like an excellent idea. I will admit, the food at Milford is good! You should go for the love of hockey; these players need love. The quality of play is good.

New coach is something to consider. QU got where it got because of Pecknold. Man will have a statue of himself erected in Hamden. But we should encourage SHU and local media to focus some more of their resources on helping make SHU a hockey school. Not many schools get such an opportunity and Fairfield County can REALLY use top tier college hockey. Right off the Merritt Parkway. Drive to and from games would be nice. I use CT-15 to get to QU games and I-95 to get to Yale games. It would also help propel SHU in perception amongst their target audience for college students. SHU hockey would be more desirable a product than the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, methinks, with proper maneuvers. AHL tickets here are not cheap. College hockey tickets are. I can get a Nashville Predators ticket or Anaheim Ducks ticket for the price of a college game anywhere here.
                Last edited by Butch; 01-10-2014, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch View Post
                  Someone from ND-WH wanted to beat me up after the game.

QU got where it got because of Pecknold. Man will have a statue of himself erected in Hamden.

I can get a Nashville Predators ticket or Anaheim Ducks ticket for the price of a college game anywhere here.
                  Butch, I am sorry but I should have put "lovely" in quotes as the Wonderland of Ice is no better than Milford.

I am a West Haven blue Devil fan, so I feel your pain with the ND boys.

Most credit Quinnipiac President Lahey for having the plan for the expansion.

My 23 year old daughter paid for her own Predators ticket last night, odd hockey town, but she loves it there. Sooo inexpensive

Found an interesting article about area hockey and QU's expansion, makes good reading and gives you an idea about how much SHU would have to put into being another QU

http://deadspin.com/how-quinnipiac-t...ey-h-472545033
                  Last edited by LTsatch; 01-10-2014, 01:22 PM.
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Butch, I am sorry but I should have put "lovely" in quotes as the Wonderland of Ice is no better than Milford.

I am a West Haven blue Devil fan, so I feel your pain with the ND boys.

Most credit Quinnipiac President Lahey for having the plan for the expansion.

My 23 year old daughter paid for her own Predators ticket last night, odd hockey town, but she loves it there. Sooo inexpensive

Found an interesting article about area hockey and QU's expansion, makes good reading and gives you an idea about how much SHU would have to put into being another QU

http://deadspin.com/how-quinnipiac-t...ey-h-472545033
                    I didn't mean such a development like that. The school's Catholic affiliation will help the school take care of itself. I just meant developing the hockey program. It is the second largest Catholic school in New England now as stated before, which was a surprise to me. If they can buy the adjacent golf course, that would make expansion super easy. I only was speaking of Pecknold from a hockey program point of view. I am well aware QU has undergone a huge academic expansion.

Good news, Mr Valentine does appear to be open ears about making SHU a hockey school. Let's go to games! The more people go to games, the more others follow. There are people there who are cheering as is. Can't go wrong with another D1 college hockey program. It's really up to us. More college hockey games can't hurt, right?

SHU plays in Milford because ND-Fairfield plays there.
                    Last edited by Butch; 01-10-2014, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                      Until they get a real rink and put out a real commitment they will never even come close to becoming another QU. I don't even see them taking the next step with a new rink. Total pipe dream for them to ever think they will get on the level of a Quinnipiac.
                      I don't know. Have you ever been to Bentley's Ryan Arena? I was there once a couple of years ago (I was in Boston on business and UConn was playing so I went. About 50 hardy souls there, it was colder inside than out, and the place smelled like a subway mens room...But Bentley is a pretty good AHA team and has knocked off its share of "major" programs over the last few years. Realistically, I think that is more what Sacred Heart can aspire to and more or less what they were a few years ago. A good AHA program that is regularly in the hunt. They aren't going to be Quinnipiac, at least not for a long long while. But they could be Bentle/Canisius type program.

Comment

As a Bentley fan, I'm just glad to see someone else getting thrown under the bus for a change.
                        Bentley University Hockey
                        On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                          I don't know. Have you ever been to Bentley's Ryan Arena? I was there once a couple of years ago (I was in Boston on business and UConn was playing so I went. About 50 hardy souls there, it was colder inside than out, and the place smelled like a subway mens room...But Bentley is a pretty good AHA team and has knocked off its share of "major" programs over the last few years. Realistically, I think that is more what Sacred Heart can aspire to and more or less what they were a few years ago. A good AHA program that is regularly in the hunt. They aren't going to be Quinnipiac, at least not for a long long while. But they could be Bentle/Canisius type program.
                          The AHA is not a bad conference. It has the support of the Army and the Air Force. But a solid hockey program is a GREAT way to advance their school and I think they realize that.

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                            As a Bentley fan, I'm just glad to see someone else getting thrown under the bus for a change.
                            I do have one question sheigs. Does JAR always smell that way???

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                              I do have one question sheigs. Does JAR always smell that way???
                              Only when UConn comes to town.

Seriously, the place is an institutional embarassment for a school that has an otherwise beautiful campus. There is fleeting sentimentality by some (think the old Curry Hicks Cage at UMass), but I personally don't think it even is deserving of that.
                              Bentley University Hockey
                              On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Working...
                              X