X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2013-14 (Part II): Crash before the Phoenix

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
    NESN is all about happy, positive talk. So expecting any critical discussion of the outrageous playing conditions, and horrible conditions for the fans, was never going to happen.
    I think Tom Caron does a good job as the Red Sox post-game host. Getting anything worthwhile out of Jim Rice is a monumental task, Caron does that as well as anyone could. However, as a hockey play-by-play guy, he lacks the pipes and is all too obvious overstating the party line. The less said about Janney, the better.

Does Joe Bertagna get down on one knee or two when he negotiates/organizes with the Red Sox? I think he just doesn't want to see the over-saturation of the games at Fenway.

Fenway Park is a historic ballpark that may of us love for its history and uniqueness. But it isn't a comfortable place to watch a ballgame in July and August, so why would anything think it'd be a good place to watch a game in January? Not to mention the poor site-lines for baseball that are much worse for hockey. How many people could actually follow the puck from the lower seats?

Unless people were tanked up, they could not have been comfortable yesterday.

I hope the BU team didn't take a ride down the giant slide. Too much potential symbolism there.
    That's why I refuse to buy an expensive ticket to it and the novelty is gone. Better to have it at Alumni Stadium where the stadium is symmetrical like the Big House at Michigan. But it should have been canceled to today for obvious reasons. I refuse to sit in conditions like that and get pneumonia which has happened a few times with me. The BC/ND game was like 15 degrees outside.

People who don't go to the games at Fenway don't get the obstructed view and sightlines and uncomfortable seats even with some improvements after the deal fell through on a new Fenway. Now they're building another new mall in Canton/Norwood, like we need a new mall (
    Last edited by BCeagle; 01-12-2014, 02:02 PM.
    NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Penalties early in the game killing the team. Box scores tell some of the problem. In games where BU has more than or equal penalty time vs opponents 2-7-2.
      In games where they have less penalty time vs opponents 5-4. Two of the losses were yesterday in the pool, and Wed. when two top six were out.
      Sounds simple, stay out of box more than your opponent and you have a chance to win. Your at least over 500.

Comment

The conditions on the ice were ridiculous. I'm frankly amazed that the puck didn't stop on a dime at all. When you have water spraying off skates turning and sticks passing, hockey should not be being played. Both teams and to deal with it, but I just felt that BU was thrown off their game more by it. By the time they got comfortable enough with the conditions, they were in too big a hole.

The only real possible achievement for this team is going to be the Beanpot, but having to play BC in the first round doesn't bode well for that either. Hopefully, they play some strong hockey down the stretch to help set the table for next year. With some talented forwards coming in next season (Eichel, Piccinich, Phelps, and maybe Greer), there are several guys on this years team that could get pushed out of the lineup. Beyond O'Regan, Baillargeon (note to all broadcasters - please look carefully at where the "r" is in his name, they all screw it up), Roberto and Hohmann, I don't think anyone is a lock to be on the opening day roster next year. Lane will be there, but on a good team, he should be a third line guy, not top two lines. Too many 3/4 line guys in the 1/2 line spots on this team = a lack of talent. One would think that Rodrigues should be a lock, but after how this season has gone for him, I'm not so sure.
        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I saw what Patrick Kane did tonight at WBA. Mike Sylvia against Lowell, right?
          It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
            The conditions on the ice were ridiculous. I'm frankly amazed that the puck didn't stop on a dime at all. When you have water spraying off skates turning and sticks passing, hockey should not be being played. Both teams and to deal with it, but I just felt that BU was thrown off their game more by it. By the time they got comfortable enough with the conditions, they were in too big a hole.

The only real possible achievement for this team is going to be the Beanpot, but having to play BC in the first round doesn't bode well for that either. Hopefully, they play some strong hockey down the stretch to help set the table for next year. With some talented forwards coming in next season (Eichel, Piccinich, Phelps, and maybe Greer), there are several guys on this years team that could get pushed out of the lineup. Beyond O'Regan, Baillargeon (note to all broadcasters - please look carefully at where the "r" is in his name, they all screw it up), Roberto and Hohmann, I don't think anyone is a lock to be on the opening day roster next year. Lane will be there, but on a good team, he should be a third line guy, not top two lines. Too many 3/4 line guys in the 1/2 line spots on this team = a lack of talent. One would think that Rodrigues should be a lock, but after how this season has gone for him, I'm not so sure.
            Maybe with JP, his style of coaching got more out of them than Quinn's style this season. JP definitely brought in the fear factor if you didn't pull your weight.

I'm just how surprised BU has sunk and it is not just losing a good player like Matt Nieto.

But vets like Rodrigues has mysteriously not transitioned to the Quinn era and totally regressed so far. It was only last March BU knocked BC out of the HE Tournament decisively and returned a number of the same roster this fall.
            NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Just catching up on this, absolutely criminal that you guys had to play. I wish someone in the media would hold Bertanga's feet to the fire. God forbid a kid got hurt playing in slush.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                Geez
                Does bomber have Mookie on ignore?

He just wants to be like the rest of us.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                  I saw what Patrick Kane did tonight at WBA. Mike Sylvia against Lowell, right?
                  Translation please....I doubt Kane was at Walter Brown Arena. And was Sylvia the one that put it into our own empty net on the delayed penalty?
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    He just wants to be like the rest of us.
                    You WANT me on the wall!
                    You NEED me on that wall!!
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Amen to that. Quinn's comment Saturday night about "it's one thing after another" points to the deficit of talent, I think. Perhaps the performances of Maguire and O'Connor through the Cornell game masked the problems that are evident since their efforts have become more ordinary?
                      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Translation please....I doubt Kane was at Walter Brown Arena. And was Sylvia the one that put it into our own empty net on the delayed penalty?
                        Video of Kane own empty net goal:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v6_oXtwAYE

IIRC, BU was leading that game vs. Lowell (on 01/26/1996) when the own ENG occurred. BU lost 8-6, ending a 17-game unbeaten streak (14-0-3). They were swept by Lowell that weekend and went 12-6-0 the rest of that season after starting 18-1-3.
                        Last edited by Friend_of_BU_Hockey; 01-13-2014, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                          Amen to that. Quinn's comment Saturday night about "it's one thing after another" points to the deficit of talent, I think. Perhaps the performances of Maguire and O'Connor through the Cornell game masked the problems that are evident since their efforts have become more ordinary?
                          The lack of depth on this year's team leaves Quinn w/ very limited options, especially when injuries occur. It's not just 3rd/4th line guys playing on the 1st/2nd lines; it's also your 15th/16th forwards on a deeper roster playing on the 3rd/4th lines every game out of necessity. Ditto w/ your 7th/8th d-men on a typical roster now being pressed into playing 20 minutes/night.

Next year's team should have more normalized depth up front (Moscatel and Ronan graduate; Eichel, Piccinich, Phelps, and possibly Greer join the forward corps) that should result in returning players sliding into more appropriate roles for their skills. Unfortunately help on D doesn't arrive until Fall 2015, so while the team should be significantly better up front, they will still lack depth and talent on D.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                            The lack of depth on this year's team leaves Quinn w/ very limited options, especially when injuries occur. It's not just 3rd/4th line guys playing on the 1st/2nd lines; it's also your 15th/16th forwards on a deeper roster playing on the 3rd/4th lines every game out of necessity. Ditto w/ your 7th/8th d-men on a typical roster now being pressed into playing 20 minutes/night.

Next year's team should have more normalized depth up front (Moscatel and Ronan graduate; Eichel, Piccinich, Phelps, and possibly Greer join the forward corps) that should result in returning players sliding into more appropriate roles for their skills. Unfortunately help on D doesn't arrive until Fall 2015, so while the team should be significantly better up front, they will still lack depth and talent on D.
                            The arrival of even 3 - 4 talented players can make a significant difference. Witness the arrival of Cashman, Ahola, Amonte and Kevin O'Sullivan for the 1989/90 season.
                            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by coachhockeybob View Post
                              Penalties early in the game killing the team. Box scores tell some of the problem. In games where BU has more than or equal penalty time vs opponents 2-7-2.
                              In games where they have less penalty time vs opponents 5-4. Two of the losses were yesterday in the pool, and Wed. when two top six were out.
                              Sounds simple, stay out of box more than your opponent and you have a chance to win. Your at least over 500.
                              I really don't think the PK or committing too many penalties is the problem. They only have 7 more penalties than opposing teams on the season and have 25 fewer penalty minutes. I think what the stats you are showing indicate is that when they are outmatched, they take lots of penalties instead of trying to actually work hard. The penalty kill is at 82% (not great but it's not that bad), the powerplay is at 22% (the best in the league) and BU is only taking about 10 penalty minutes/game and just barely more penalties per game than their opponents. Yet their -4 on special teams. The problem is they have given up 7 shorthanded goals. And how many of those have come late in a close game?

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                              3-0 now, terrible line change. 4-0 Maine on the PP
                              I don't think I've seen a team make worse line changes over the last few seasons than BU. They pick the worst times to change and the players don't skate to the bench, they glide from all the way across the ice. It's as if they're tired from all of the hard work they're not doing on the ice. One particularly bad change I remember was the beanpot a few years back vs BC when a BC player was driving up the ice with about 10 seconds left in OT and the defender who was on him decided to change (presumably because he couldn't possibly skate for 10 more seconds to finish OT against BU's biggest rival in the Beanpot championship). The BC player then stopped and wound up for a slapshot with no pressure and won the game.

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                              NESN is all about happy, positive talk. So expecting any critical discussion of the outrageous playing conditions, and horrible conditions for the fans, was never going to happen.Not to mention the poor site-lines for baseball that are much worse for hockey. How many people could actually follow the puck from the lower seats?
                              Unless people were tanked up, they could not have been comfortable yesterday.
                              I actually had a great time. Most of the fans were in the grandstand (which is covered). It was fairly warm so it was pretty comfortable from a weather standpoint. As far as the play, at this point I've just resorted to rooting for small (seemingly easy) victories like 10 shots in a period, faceoff wins, maybe checking someone, pretty much standard things for most teams, but things this team only does on rare occasion.

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
                              Maybe with JP, his style of coaching got more out of them than Quinn's style this season. JP definitely brought in the fear factor if you didn't pull your weight.

I'm just how surprised BU has sunk and it is not just losing a good player like Matt Nieto.

But vets like Rodrigues has mysteriously not transitioned to the Quinn era and totally regressed so far. It was only last March BU knocked BC out of the HE Tournament decisively and returned a number of the same roster this fall.
                              Agreed. I really don't understand this theory some people have that it's fine for Quinn to just not do anything because these players aren't his recruits so it's not his fault they suck. You don't come in as an unproven new head coach and throw the team in the trash so you can play your way (since no one has any idea what that way is or if it will be any good). Someone like York who had won a national championship (or at least been a head coach before) and knew he could implement his system and that his system worked is allowed to have a few rough seasons while he implements his system. I expected Quinn to improve on the problems this team was having, not ignore them and let the team fall apart. Especially since the problems this team was having wasn't with on-ice strategy and style (or even talent), it was with toughness, consistency, and desire to win. Getting beaten to pucks, not throwing a check for an entire game, and losing one-on-one battles isn't the result of a change in strategy, it's the result of a team that either doesn't care or just has no idea what to do. No one on this team has any awareness or hockey sense and none of the players are improving any of their skills. And are we really saying that these players can't execute a strategy? They've had 3 months to figure it out. Many of these players were highly regarded recruits or have proven themselves to be productive in the past. Not one player on this team is on pace to score more than 10 goals. Last year three of these same players had 10 or more goals. And again two of the top three players in total shots are defensemen so it doesn't seem like the strategy is changing too much to me (of course we could talk about how many of the forwards could be leading in shots attempted, but it doesn't show up in the shot totals because none of them can hit the net even from 3 feet away). As far as not having any talent on this team goes, I just don't agree. They certainly aren't the most talented team in the league, but certainly these players should be able to compete with Dartmouth and Bentley. Baillargeon, Rodrigues, Hohmann, Roberto, O'Regan, and Oksanen, have all shown high skill levels at times. Last year O'Regan was 8th in the league in points per game (ahead of Nieto) and Rodrigues and Hohmann were 13th and 14th. Yet we can't make 2 competitive lines with those 3 plus Lane, Kurker Roberto, and Baillargeon? Everyone is so excited for Eichel, but wasn't Kurker supposed to be some phenom as well? Lane was also supposed to be really good. This team has the talent to be 5th in this league easily. Watching the game, it really just looks like they don't practice. How about fixing a few things that have been a problem all season.

1. Shoot the puck at the net (forwards)
                              2. Skate faster (everyone)
                              3. Somebody hit somebody

Bonus: Learn how to keep the puck in the offensive zone at the blue line (defensemen)

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                                Unfortunately help on D doesn't arrive until Fall 2015, so while the team should be significantly better up front, they will still lack depth and talent on D.
                                Defenseman John MacLeod from the US National Development program will be a freshman next season.

And what about J.D. Carrabino, the 6-foot-6 transfer from Clarkson, who will be eligible next year.
                                Has anyone seen him play? Is he going to help?

Comment

Working...
                                X