X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2013-14 (Part II): Crash before the Phoenix

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
    The players are 18 or 19 years old. They have stars in their eyes. The parents are supposed to be the sorce of reality and reason.
    Good luck there....

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      Good luck there....
      Sad commentary, if true.
      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

I laugh at the number of times I see a kid who was bummed he didnt get a scholarship to a Hockey East school, a 2/4 or whatever and ends up at an ECAC school that doesnt give them. All in, they pay far less

Just saw it with a kid who turned down a 2/4 and ended up paying 2K per year at St Lawrence
        Which just goes to show that they really are giving hockey scholarships, they just aren't upfront enough to call it that.

One could say they're liars.
        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
          Which just goes to show that they really are giving hockey scholarships, they just aren't upfront enough to call it that.

One could say they're liars.

why? the kids at the hockey east schools not on scholarship would get the exact same financial award. they are all need based.

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
            Something terribly wong at BU? Is Eichel nuts to go there?

I don't think there's anything wrong anymore. I do think we're seeing the residual effects of the problems the team's had in the last few years.

They're shorthanded due to 1) disciplinary problems, 2) guys who pro-level talent leaving, 3) guys who thought they had pro-level talent leaving even if they couldn't crack 5 goals a year in college.

Disciplinary problems seem to be cleared up as old coaching regime which trusted the players a little too much to police themselves is gone and I'm not aware of any off ice incidents recently. Pro-guys leaving happens everywhere so it is what it is. No talent guys leaving is addition by subtraction and a by-product of bad recruiting and/or constipated offensive style that may have stiffled some of them.

Eichel, etc can be paired with remaining talented players (O'Regan, Balleraggeraggeragegerron, O'Connor, Oksansen, etc) to form a good team in relatively short order if he's the can't miss prospect he's supposed to be.
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post

Eichel, etc can be paired with remaining talented players (O'Regan, Balleraggeraggeragegerron, O'Connor, Oksansen, etc) to form a good team in relatively short order if he's the can't miss prospect he's supposed to be.
              If Eichel doesn't pan out, they may as well take down the tent.
              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

I'd say we need a top of the league star to come in the next couple of years. Whether that's Eichel or somebody else I don't know or care, but there has to be someone that's amongst the league leaders in scoring. Combine that with the few talented guys that we have already plus good goaltending already in place and that sets up a good team. Recruit a bunch of Kurker's and Cisse's and we're in trouble.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

BU's pipeline is very strong. 3-4 years from now this will be no.

Think BC year York came in but with better recruits on board at BU

BU has very good grp in pipeline and more to follow

they will be top 3 soon enough

Comment

Keep Calm and Baillargeon.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      Keep Calm and Baillargeon.
                      This needs to be on a shirt.

Comment

why? the kids at the hockey east schools not on scholarship would get the exact same financial award. they are all need based.
                        Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying. You indicated that you find it amusing when kids are disappointed not to get a HE scholarship, when they can go to (some?) ECAC schools and spend less out of pocket. Is that only when need is a factor?

As I'm half-way through my third child's college journey, I have had plenty of opportunity to observe that a school's definition of "need" and mine look a bit different. But I have also observed that these Div III sports programs miraculously see more "need" for coveted athletes than they do for regular kids. Are you suggesting that the scholarship-free ECAC schools are pure and chaste, completely objective and blind to the athletic attributes of applicants when they determine need? If so, I'm glad all these poor inner city kids can find such fine establishments to take them in.

Very generally speaking, hockey parents don't meet most schools thresholds for needing much, if any, help. It's not a cheap sport to play.

Comment

Help us Eichel. You're our only hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                            Help us Eichel. You're our only hope.
                            Terrance, you're looking quite fetching with those cinnamon buns glued to your head!

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              I don't think there's anything wrong anymore. I do think we're seeing the residual effects of the problems the team's had in the last few years.

They're shorthanded due to 1) disciplinary problems, 2) guys who pro-level talent leaving, 3) guys who thought they had pro-level talent leaving even if they couldn't crack 5 goals a year in college.

Disciplinary problems seem to be cleared up as old coaching regime which trusted the players a little too much to police themselves is gone and I'm not aware of any off ice incidents recently. Pro-guys leaving happens everywhere so it is what it is. No talent guys leaving is addition by subtraction and a by-product of bad recruiting and/or constipated offensive style that may have stiffled some of them.

Let's not sugar coat it though... I agree the talent level is not where we want it to be, but at the same time this team has enough talent to be doing better than they are. Something isn't right right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                Let's not sugar coat it though... I agree the talent level is not where we want it to be, but at the same time this team has enough talent to be doing better than they are. Something isn't right right now.
                                Agreed. I'm disappointed in the record and the way the few talented players are playing (exception O'Connor who's facing 50 shots a night and a VERY shoddy defense). However, I wasn't expecting great things this year IIRC so I'm willing to write this season off provided things get better quickly next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X