Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SCSU @ DU: Too cold to fly, let's take the dogsled

Originally posted by Twister View Post
    I can't speak for all DU fans, but I am excited and a little nervous about the weekend. The game vs Brown last Friday was a setback, now DU has a very high quality opponent to face. Major challenge looming.
    You waited 5 years for that? Impressive patience you have, young padawan.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
      How are the Pio fans liking their new coach?
      I think everyone is fairly pleased with Monty. He has a team that is young and offensively challenged playing as one and being successful. It doesn't hurt that (IMHO) he has the best goalie in the country playing between the pipes. The players are buying into his system and have been competitive in almost all of their games. As an alumni, he has reached out to everyone and is looking for input and suggestions on how to improve on an already successful program. As an alumni and fan, I don't think anyone of us are comparing him to Gwoz because that can't be done. There have been two coaches at DU who have left an imprint that makes them unique and it is not fair to compare others to; Murray Armstrong and George Gwozdecky. If you listen to Monty, he is trying to establish his own identity at DU with a different style of play than Gwoz utilized. The players have been able to adapt to his system which isn't an easy thing when you have been playing a different style under Gwoz. Now that DU is getting into the meat of the NCHC schedule we will see how competitive the team is.
      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
        I think everyone is fairly pleased with Monty. He has a team that is young and offensively challenged playing as one and being successful. It doesn't hurt that (IMHO) he has the best goalie in the country playing between the pipes. The players are buying into his system and have been competitive in almost all of their games. As an alumni, he has reached out to everyone and is looking for input and suggestions on how to improve on an already successful program. As an alumni and fan, I don't think anyone of us are comparing him to Gwoz because that can't be done. There have been two coaches at DU who have left an imprint that makes them unique and it is not fair to compare others to; Murray Armstrong and George Gwozdecky. If you listen to Monty, he is trying to establish his own identity at DU with a different style of play than Gwoz utilized. The players have been able to adapt to his system which isn't an easy thing when you have been playing a different style under Gwoz. Now that DU is getting into the meat of the NCHC schedule we will see how competitive the team is.
        +1
        A split this weekend against one of the top teams in the nation would be a good start for the Pios.
        Last edited by vizoroo; 01-10-2014, 01:29 PM.
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
          You waited 5 years for that? Impressive patience you have, young padawan.
          Impressive eh? It took a lot of patience and fortitude.....

Truth be told, I was content reading the forum here and putting my thoughts over on LetsGoDU, but apparently the blog is on hold, or possibly done forever. I hope it's the former, but we'll see. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing DU and SCSU go head-to-head.

Comment

Need a link to watch this game by any means possible.
            SCSU!

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
              How are the Pio fans liking their new coach?
              DU78's analysis is right on. Monty is very capable.

Comment

Originally posted by Husky4Life View Post
                Need a link to watch this game by any means possible.
                No webcast tonight. Find a friend or bar with ROOT. See my above posts.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                  A split this weekend against one of the top teams in the nation would be a good start for the Pios.
                  Then you'll need to win tomorrow night. Good game by the Good Guys. Jonny Brodz and his third period scoring prowess on display again. Incredible.

Sounds like the ice was crappy and the Pios were chippy. Hope Benik is OK, or there might be a cold dish served tomorrow by St. Cloud.

Comment

Saturday Night Fever for the Pios
                    (I hope)
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Husckey Domi Nation View Post
                      Then you'll need to win tomorrow night. Good game by the Good Guys. Jonny Brodz and his third period scoring prowess on display again. Incredible.

Sounds like the ice was crappy and the Pios were chippy. Hope Benik is OK, or there might be a cold dish served tomorrow by St. Cloud.
                      KVSC was saying his arm was in a sling, so maybe a shoulder thing.
                      Hopefully it's just a one week if it keeps him out tomorrow.
                      Balanced scoring again, 2 point nights for Dowd, Brodz, Murray, Gravel, Prochno, 3 point night for Morley.
                      Definitely showing you can't focus on one line with this team.
                      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Impressive showing for the Huskies tonight. There were sequences in the game during which DU was very competitive--cycling, puck possession, and generating some good chances. But ultimately, the better team won. SCSU had jump all night, had better goaltending, more depth, and finished when they needed to. That's a good squad. They were not overly physical, but they move the puck well and skate well.

Brittain will have to be better tomorrow night and DU needs to stay out of the box.

Comment

The other thing that jumped out at me tonight was SCSU won a ton of draws. I haven't seen the stats but if felt like they won 80%.

Comment

Originally posted by Twister View Post
                            The other thing that jumped out at me tonight was SCSU won a ton of draws. I haven't seen the stats but if felt like they won 80%.
                            Yeah I think your right, but the percentage was more like 60% - 40%. St. Cloud's forward, David Morley, may be one of the best at faceoffs in college hockey.

Comment

Man the Cloudies are a way better team! Hands down the best team that we've seen at Magness this year. The puck movement of the first two lines is so much better than anything DU has going on. DU's first line was completely ineffective (no chemistry/gel). I expect SCSU will get the sweep tomorrow night. DU falls to something like 28th in the PWR with the loss--one spot ahead of Brown which sounds about right. I think there could be a lot of critical things I could say about DU's execution but one big thing on my mind is a rookie coach isn't going to be able to prepare a team to face a squad as good as this. I expect to see some adjustments to the D tomorrow night but given the lack of discipline and ability to produce any kind of lasting offensive pressure generated by forwards, a team as good as the Huskies are going to run the table. They already can taste it.
                              Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                                KVSC was saying his arm was in a sling, so maybe a shoulder thing.
                                Hopefully it's just a one week if it keeps him out tomorrow.
                                Balanced scoring again, 2 point nights for Dowd, Brodz, Murray, Gravel, Prochno, 3 point night for Morley.
                                Definitely showing you can't focus on one line with this team.
                                I listened to Terhar's call as well but did not hear that about Benik. However, Dan did comment that DU seemed to want to run or CFB the St. Cloud players after a score. Not sure how DU got away with that for the entire game. Motzko better chew Bokol's ear about it before tomorrow's game.

A win tomorrow could really put St. Cloud in a commanding lead in the NCHC with games in hand already to second place Nodik.

Comment

Working...
                                X