Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Anchorage at Wisconsin: At one time, these were conference games...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Anchorage at Wisconsin: At one time, these were conference games...

UAA travels to the Kohl Center because... The check cleared?
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Re: Alaska Anchorage at Wisconsin: At one time, these were conference games...

I'm glad these are non-conference games. It will be a good way for the team to start the new year. Hopefully it won't take long to get their legs back.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I have to say, UAA's results this year have been better than what I'd come to expect from them in the old WCHA.

Could be a potential trip-up game for the Badgers if the boys aren't careful. A performance like the one on Saturday against UAH, and there could easily be a dropped game.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        I have to say, UAA's results this year have been better than what I'd come to expect from them in the old WCHA.

Could be a potential trip-up game for the Badgers if the boys aren't careful. A performance like the one on Saturday against UAH, and there could easily be a dropped game.
        Does that mean that the Badgers are ripe for the picking??
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Glad the 2nd half starts this week. Hopefully the seawolves make me forget about my football team's ****ty season.

Go seawolves.
          Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
            Does that mean that the Badgers are ripe for the picking??
            There are certainly weaknesses. This team is capable of a deep run in the NCAAs, but there's a lack of consistency that leads to the kind of mistakes that drop games.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

There are certainly weaknesses. This team is capable of a deep run in the NCAAs, but there's a lack of consistency that leads to the kind of mistakes that drop games.
              However, the Badgers are undefeated at home, are they not? I watched the games against Huntsville this past weekend. The Badgers didn't score a single power play goal, was this unusual for them or is their PP unit struggling?

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                The Badgers didn't score a single power play goal, was this unusual for them or is their PP unit struggling?
                That is the understatement of the year. If you got points for passing, UW has the best pp in the country.

UW is missing Kerdiles, one of their top players, arguably their best player, @ the WJ. That being said, they can roll 4 lines and right now all 4 lines are scoring.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

The PP is agonizingly bad. I'm sorry, but Kerdiles being there or not has nothing to do with it - it was struggling before and it likely will when he comes back. There are plenty of other big guys to play that role for a weekend. It has been less than stellar for a few years and when it starts to improve (like the beginning of this season) we get excited the slump might be over, but then weekends like this happen.

UAH is dead last in penalty kill and we still couldn't manage a PP goal. The joke on Friday was that UAH should just keep taking penalties - it was their best shot at keeping UW off the board.
                  It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

I think Kerdiles being gone did have an effect last weekend. How much, that can be debated. Power play is all about rhythm and the Badgers had very little of that on the man advantage vs. Huntsville.

I'd like to go back and watch tape from the weekend but it seemed like when ever someone up top had the puck Mersch and Barnes immediately went to the front of the net. While I don't mind that scenario once in a while, is the best play on a power play McCabe flipping a shot towards the net and Mersch and Barnes trying to battle for a rebound? I don't think so.

They looked much better at the start of the season when the four that normally play to the outside (Zengz, McCabe, Kerdiles and Barnes had more free reign on moving the puck and moving themsleves. Too much stationary A to B passing with no movement from everyone else on the ice. Need to break down the box and that can't happen with 5 guys standing still.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                      I think Kerdiles being gone did have an effect last weekend. How much, that can be debated. Power play is all about rhythm and the Badgers had very little of that on the man advantage vs. Huntsville.

I'd like to go back and watch tape from the weekend but it seemed like when ever someone up top had the puck Mersch and Barnes immediately went to the front of the net. While I don't mind that scenario once in a while, is the best play on a power play McCabe flipping a shot towards the net and Mersch and Barnes trying to battle for a rebound? I don't think so.

They looked much better at the start of the season when the four that normally play to the outside (Zengz, McCabe, Kerdiles and Barnes had more free reign on moving the puck and moving themsleves. Too much stationary A to B passing with no movement from everyone else on the ice. Need to break down the box and that can't happen with 5 guys standing still.
                      I'm willing to cut some slack for no practice and missing Kerdiles, but that doesn't explain the lack of vision on the ice in regards to what is supposed to be happening out there. As you say, just like facing a zone in bouncy ball, the box needs to be broken down, which either requires quick perimeter movement or penetration to draw the defense out of position. It's not rocket science.

What happened to going low to high in the slot? A few weeks back we were attempting it a lot; puck low to the net and Mersch sliding up for a quick hitter. Didn't see it even tried once in 8 PP's. Zengerle skating around the perimeter with the puck is still KILLING ME. I haven't seen one good play off that all year, yet he keeps doing it.

It HAS to get better.

I think we're very capable for the most part beyond that. Except maybe we have to play at pace regardless of what the opposition is doing.
                      Originally posted by WiscTJK
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Happy game day, lifeless thread.

May our power play show more signs of life than Brittany Murphy.

Comment

Happy game day, lifeless thread.

May our power play show more signs of life than Brittany Murphy.
                          Yeah lifeless thread alright, most of our fans would rather troll the uaf page,

Go seawolves. Hope the boys are motivated, to get that first road win. Although we haven't had success at the kohl since hill was coach
                          Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                            What happened to going low to high in the slot? A few weeks back we were attempting it a lot; puck low to the net and Mersch sliding up for a quick hitter.
                            Thanks for mentioning this. I was wondering about what I called the Geoffrion PP, low to mid-high front of net, quick hitter - Mersch is a big guy with a good shot and would be perfect for it. Zengerle can make that pass.
                            And if not that PP, the Gilbert PP, low to high hitting the defenseman sliding down for a one-timer.

It's frustrating not seeing it put in place when the team has the players and skill sets for it.
                            Go Badgers!

Comment

In paroosing the stats, UAA's pp is clicking along at a healthy 21.5%; UW's pk @ 83.0% isn't so impressive. UW needs to win the special teams this weekend or they may allow UAA to hang around and steal a game.

They have no goalie with a save % cracking 90, but the 2 Sr goalies have respectable gaa's of 2.52 and 2.31 which I think again shows the importance of scoring some ppg's.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                              X