Great Lakes Invitational?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Lakes Invitational?

Starting last year in 2012 and continuing to at least 2016 there will only be Michigan teams in the GLI. The invited team in 2012 and 2013 was Western Michigan, Ferris State in 2014, Northern Michigan in 2015, and Western Michigan again 2016. Am I the only one that looks forward to teams like Rensselaer, Harvard, Colorado College, New Hampshire, Boston College, Boston University, etc. coming to the GLI. In other words teams that don't come to Michigan on a regular basis. I wonder if they're having a hard time getting out of state schools to come to Michigan during the break and holidays.

Re: Great Lakes Invitational?

Originally posted by timsdiecast View Post
    Starting last year in 2012 and continuing to at least 2016 there will only be Michigan teams in the GLI. The invited team in 2012 and 2013 was Western Michigan, Ferris State in 2014, Northern Michigan in 2015, and Western Michigan again 2016. Am I the only one that looks forward to teams like Rensselaer, Harvard, Colorado College, New Hampshire, Boston College, Boston University, etc. coming to the GLI. In other words teams that don't come to Michigan on a regular basis. I wonder if they're having a hard time getting out of state schools to come to Michigan during the break and holidays.
    More likely it's an attempt to help alleviate sagging attendance figures.

Comment

Why was there such an inconsistent effort to establish an overall state attendance base? I know WMU didn't have a strong hockey team until lately, but you don't let decades pass before you invite them back. You would get more fans from Notre Dame or Miami of Ohio than Colorado College or Harvard. I think there was some short term thinking in the late 80's on what this tournament could be.

Comment

The 4th team was used to raise the interest and competition level by inviting top 5 teams from prior years to spark interest and competition level.

For years, as 1 WCHA team competing against 2 CCHA schools, it made no sense to invite any other CCHA school as the invitee.

The tournament is Equivalent to Tech's bowl game and hope it continues for many years to come.

I will say though that there should be no NCHC teams other than Western invited ever again as a thank you for leaving the current WCHA members hanging.

There are several great teams we can bring in without needing the old WCHA traitors.

I hope Tech continues to give the new WCHA mates a chance at the tourney.

Teams I would like to see after 2016 are:

Bowling Green
        Providence
        Yale
        Cornell
        Notre Dame
        Boston U.
        LSSU
        Last edited by Huskiefan906; 12-29-2013, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
          I will say though that there should be no NCHC teams other than Western invited ever again as a thank you for leaving the current WCHA members hanging.

There are several great teams we can bring in without needing the old WCHA traitors.
          Just wondering if Michigan, Michigan State and Michigan Tech are also traitors for leaving the WCHA at one time or another. Or was that OK?
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
            Just wondering if Michigan, Michigan State and Michigan Tech are also traitors for leaving the WCHA at one time or another. Or was that OK?
            Not to get into the middle of a perfectly good purse fight, but there were much different circumstances surrounding each of those departures. If you don't see that you are truly daft.

Comment

St. Cloud was supposed to play in the GLI, then we got bounced when it was going to be outdoors.
              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

You're not going to be in next year's tournament. You're in 2015.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                  The 4th team was used to raise the interest and competition level by inviting top 5 teams from prior years to spark interest and competition level.

For years, as 1 WCHA team competing against 2 CCHA schools, it made no sense to invite any other CCHA school as the invitee.

The tournament is Equivalent to Tech's bowl game and hope it continues for many years to come.

I hope Tech continues to give the new WCHA mates a chance at the tourney.

Teams I would like to see after 2016 are:

Bowling Green
                  Providence
                  Yale
                  Cornell
                  Notre Dame
                  Boston U.
                  LSSU
                  I doubt that Cornell would go as long as they host the tourney in Florida at the same time.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                    Not to get into the middle of a perfectly good purse fight, but there were much different circumstances surrounding each of those departures. If you don't see that you are truly daft.
                    Whether there were or were not different circumstances does not answer the question of whether the Michigan schools were also traitors. But thank you none the less for sharing your thoughts, even if they didn't really add anything.
                    Last edited by Dirty; 12-29-2013, 07:31 PM.
                    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Whether there were or were not different circumstances does not answer the question of whether the Michigan schools were also traitors. But thank you none the less for sharing your thoughts, even if they didn't really add anything.
                      I'm not clear on the origins of the GLI. Is U-M the host school, and are U-M and MSU always in the Invitational? I know WMU had not won it since 1986, but they have not played in it very often. I looked in the WMU hockey archives and I believe they have played in the GLI 4 times, maybe 5, having won it in 1986 and 2013. The 1986 team beat both U-M and MSU quite soundly ( 7-2, 8-2)

Comment

Originally posted by alger wetmore View Post
                        I'm not clear on the origins of the GLI. Is U-M the host school, and are U-M and MSU always in the Invitational? I know WMU had not won it since 1986, but they have not played in it very often. I looked in the WMU hockey archives and I believe they have played in the GLI 4 times, maybe 5, having won it in 1986 and 2013. The 1986 team beat both U-M and MSU quite soundly ( 7-2, 8-2)
                        Michigan Tech started the tourney. UM is co-host. MSU is always included.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

The team to be named later left the WCHA to play in a league made up mostly of teams from...the WCHA. Leaving Tech, Mankato, Bemidji and Anchorage behind assured that smaller schools couldn't dictate league policy.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            The team to be named later left the WCHA to play in a league made up mostly of teams from...the WCHA. Leaving Tech, Mankato, Bemidji and Anchorage behind assured that smaller schools couldn't dictate league policy.
                            Wonderful! Perhaps even fascinating! What does that have to do with whether Michigan, Michigan State and Michigan Tech were traitors for leaving the WCHA?
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

[QUOTE=davyd83;5843499]The team to be named later left the WCHA to play in a league made up mostly of teams from...the WCHA. Leaving Tech, Mankato, Bemidji and Anchorage behind assured that smaller schools couldn't dictate league policy

Don't you think the formation of the Big Ten league started a domino effect of everyone fending for them self. Also, smaller schools tended to do better in div. I hockey than in div. I basketball or football.

Comment

Working...
                              X