PDA

View Full Version : Great Lakes Invitational?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

timsdiecast
12-29-2013, 01:44 AM
Starting last year in 2012 and continuing to at least 2016 there will only be Michigan teams in the GLI. The invited team in 2012 and 2013 was Western Michigan, Ferris State in 2014, Northern Michigan in 2015, and Western Michigan again 2016. Am I the only one that looks forward to teams like Rensselaer, Harvard, Colorado College, New Hampshire, Boston College, Boston University, etc. coming to the GLI. In other words teams that don't come to Michigan on a regular basis. I wonder if they're having a hard time getting out of state schools to come to Michigan during the break and holidays.

FadeToBlack&Gold
12-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Starting last year in 2012 and continuing to at least 2016 there will only be Michigan teams in the GLI. The invited team in 2012 and 2013 was Western Michigan, Ferris State in 2014, Northern Michigan in 2015, and Western Michigan again 2016. Am I the only one that looks forward to teams like Rensselaer, Harvard, Colorado College, New Hampshire, Boston College, Boston University, etc. coming to the GLI. In other words teams that don't come to Michigan on a regular basis. I wonder if they're having a hard time getting out of state schools to come to Michigan during the break and holidays.

More likely it's an attempt to help alleviate sagging attendance figures.

alger wetmore
12-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Why was there such an inconsistent effort to establish an overall state attendance base? I know WMU didn't have a strong hockey team until lately, but you don't let decades pass before you invite them back. You would get more fans from Notre Dame or Miami of Ohio than Colorado College or Harvard. I think there was some short term thinking in the late 80's on what this tournament could be.

Huskiefan906
12-29-2013, 02:25 PM
The 4th team was used to raise the interest and competition level by inviting top 5 teams from prior years to spark interest and competition level.

For years, as 1 WCHA team competing against 2 CCHA schools, it made no sense to invite any other CCHA school as the invitee.

The tournament is Equivalent to Tech's bowl game and hope it continues for many years to come.

I will say though that there should be no NCHC teams other than Western invited ever again as a thank you for leaving the current WCHA members hanging.

There are several great teams we can bring in without needing the old WCHA traitors.

I hope Tech continues to give the new WCHA mates a chance at the tourney.

Teams I would like to see after 2016 are:

Bowling Green
Providence
Yale
Cornell
Notre Dame
Boston U.
LSSU

Dirty
12-29-2013, 03:11 PM
I will say though that there should be no NCHC teams other than Western invited ever again as a thank you for leaving the current WCHA members hanging.

There are several great teams we can bring in without needing the old WCHA traitors.

Just wondering if Michigan, Michigan State and Michigan Tech are also traitors for leaving the WCHA at one time or another. Or was that OK?

Stauber1
12-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Just wondering if Michigan, Michigan State and Michigan Tech are also traitors for leaving the WCHA at one time or another. Or was that OK?

Not to get into the middle of a perfectly good purse fight, but there were much different circumstances surrounding each of those departures. If you don't see that you are truly daft.

SCSU Euro
12-29-2013, 06:58 PM
St. Cloud was supposed to play in the GLI, then we got bounced when it was going to be outdoors.

Hammer
12-29-2013, 07:10 PM
You're not going to be in next year's tournament. You're in 2015.

Ralph Baer
12-29-2013, 08:09 PM
The 4th team was used to raise the interest and competition level by inviting top 5 teams from prior years to spark interest and competition level.

For years, as 1 WCHA team competing against 2 CCHA schools, it made no sense to invite any other CCHA school as the invitee.

The tournament is Equivalent to Tech's bowl game and hope it continues for many years to come.

I hope Tech continues to give the new WCHA mates a chance at the tourney.

Teams I would like to see after 2016 are:

Bowling Green
Providence
Yale
Cornell
Notre Dame
Boston U.
LSSU

I doubt that Cornell would go as long as they host the tourney in Florida at the same time.

Dirty
12-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Not to get into the middle of a perfectly good purse fight, but there were much different circumstances surrounding each of those departures. If you don't see that you are truly daft.

Whether there were or were not different circumstances does not answer the question of whether the Michigan schools were also traitors. But thank you none the less for sharing your thoughts, even if they didn't really add anything.

alger wetmore
12-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Whether there were or were not different circumstances does not answer the question of whether the Michigan schools were also traitors. But thank you none the less for sharing your thoughts, even if they didn't really add anything.

I'm not clear on the origins of the GLI. Is U-M the host school, and are U-M and MSU always in the Invitational? I know WMU had not won it since 1986, but they have not played in it very often. I looked in the WMU hockey archives and I believe they have played in the GLI 4 times, maybe 5, having won it in 1986 and 2013. The 1986 team beat both U-M and MSU quite soundly ( 7-2, 8-2)

davyd83
12-29-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm not clear on the origins of the GLI. Is U-M the host school, and are U-M and MSU always in the Invitational? I know WMU had not won it since 1986, but they have not played in it very often. I looked in the WMU hockey archives and I believe they have played in the GLI 4 times, maybe 5, having won it in 1986 and 2013. The 1986 team beat both U-M and MSU quite soundly ( 7-2, 8-2)
Michigan Tech started the tourney. UM is co-host. MSU is always included.

davyd83
12-29-2013, 09:03 PM

The team to be named later left the WCHA to play in a league made up mostly of teams from...the WCHA. Leaving Tech, Mankato, Bemidji and Anchorage behind assured that smaller schools couldn't dictate league policy.

Dirty
12-29-2013, 09:10 PM
The team to be named later left the WCHA to play in a league made up mostly of teams from...the WCHA. Leaving Tech, Mankato, Bemidji and Anchorage behind assured that smaller schools couldn't dictate league policy.

Wonderful! Perhaps even fascinating! What does that have to do with whether Michigan, Michigan State and Michigan Tech were traitors for leaving the WCHA?

alger wetmore
12-29-2013, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=davyd83;5843499]The team to be named later left the WCHA to play in a league made up mostly of teams from...the WCHA. Leaving Tech, Mankato, Bemidji and Anchorage behind assured that smaller schools couldn't dictate league policy

Don't you think the formation of the Big Ten league started a domino effect of everyone fending for them self. Also, smaller schools tended to do better in div. I hockey than in div. I basketball or football.

MCgrad07
01-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Would the GLI ever think of making WMU the fourth team annually? It would be similar to the beanpot and rivalries may grow?

Huskiefan906
01-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Would the GLI ever think of making WMU the fourth team annually? It would be similar to the beanpot and rivalries may grow?

How could we call it an invitational at that point.
I would like to see UM have to play State on alternating years in the first round so Tech could play the invited school as well.

manurespreader
01-06-2014, 08:44 PM
God I hope not. that would ruin a perfectly good tourney. I'm for keeping this a national event, not a Michigan event. And even if it is a Michigan event, why would WMU think they get to be invited more than Ferris or any of the other schools.? I'd strongly prefer to see some of the eastern schools again.

Tipsy McStagger
01-06-2014, 08:51 PM

The Gophers are the perfect people to point out when it's okay to leave a conference.

Lawson_lunatic27
01-06-2014, 09:37 PM
God I hope not. that would ruin a perfectly good tourney. I'm for keeping this a national event, not a Michigan event. And even if it is a Michigan event, why would WMU think they get to be invited more than Ferris or any of the other schools.? I'd strongly prefer to see some of the eastern schools again.

Western never said they think they should get the invite over anyone.....