Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC Hockey '13-'14: The Quest To Make Holy Cross Transitive Property National Champs

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BC Hockey '13-'14: The Quest To Make Holy Cross Transitive Property National Cham

Dick Kelley passed away...what a horrible disease.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
      Paging hokey ...
      hold that thought until tournament.

worst level of play in years

Comment

• Re: BC Hockey '13-'14: The Quest To Make Holy Cross Transitive Property National Cham

Originally Posted by BChockeyJunkie
        p.s ill try to find the interview where york clearly stated that he split G_A_H line to better suit the freshman and other line..... you don't think he ever thought ...."wow, i under what will happen when i put my best 3 forwards together for the first line..... maybe gaudreau with a freshman with develop into the best line in college hockey".... do you know hockey?

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        I'm not trying to jump ugly on you here, but I don't think you're gonna be able to find said interview. Even last year when all three guys were healthy, I don't recall them ever playing on the same line. So he never split them up because they never played together to begin with. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure York had thought about it before, certainly not denying that. But if they were playing well without those three guys on the same line, he never would have put them together. He only put them together because the team was getting killed by Holy Cross at home (I think that was the game) and coming off a bad performance before that as well.

York created a juggernaut when he put Gaudreau on left wing with senior center Bill Arnold and senior right wing Kevin Hayes. The three had been lobbying to play together since the summer but York was resistant because he wanted to see how the young forwards fit into the mix and didn’t want to put all his eggs in one basket.

“In the beginning of the summer [last year], we were giving [associate head coach Greg Brown and York] a hard time how we wanted to play together and we never got a chance to play together,’’ said Gaudreau. “We kept giving it to them and asking them and asking them. We started off the year on two different lines and when we lost to Holy Cross, coach said it was time for a change. It’s been working and hopefully, we can keep it going.’’

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...QBN/story.html

this isnt the exact article, but it sums up the answer by york. Trying his hardest to split the 3 to better adjust the freshman.
        Last edited by BChockeyJunkie; 02-14-2014, 02:22 PM.

Comment

i see, all making sense now

it's impossible to show you're a tough team when you win, but if you are to lose in the tourney (like every team does except one) it automatically means you are a soft team.

and for the record, i think the lack of secondary scoring could absolutely doom this team in the end. but i've seen enough to know they are absolutely not a soft team.

Comment

Maybe I misunderstood your use of "split". My point was they never played on a line together last year. Further, he didn't put them together because the freshmen were acclimated/playing well...he only put them together because the team in general wasn't playing well. If the team was playing well with them apart, he wouldn't have put them together.

Comment

it's impossible to show you're a tough team when you win, but if you are to lose in the tourney (like every team does except one) it automatically means you are a soft team.

and for the record, i think the lack of secondary scoring could absolutely doom this team in the end. but i've seen enough to know they are absolutely not a soft team.
              Exactly... and, hokey was right all along. He's a genius.
              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

and for the record, i think the lack of secondary scoring could absolutely doom this team in the end.
                The "lack of secondary scoring" thing is a myth. Just because out first line makes everyone go GAH! doesn't mean we don't have secondary scoring.

These are the top 10 teams in scoring:

1) BC
                2) Quinnipiac
                3) St. Cloud
                4) Union
                5) Ohio State
                6) St. Lawrence
                7) Minnesota
                8) Ferris State
                9) Mercyhurst
                10) Nebraska-Omaha

Below is team scoring broken out by their top 3 scorers vs. everyone else. This does include defensemen, but defensemen are still secondary scorers.

Code:
                Team:               BC (Rank) |  QU  SC  UC  OS  SL  UM  FS  MC  NO

Top 3 Goal Scorers: 57  (duh) |  44  41  34  35  43  31  34  40  44
                4-12 Goal Scorers:  53    (5) |  59  44  55  48  49  55  49  56  37

4-6 Goal Scorers:   26    (2) |  34  23  24  21  24  25  21  26  17
                7-9 Goal Scorers:   17    (3) |  18  13  18  15  16  18  17  17  12
                10-12 Goal Scorers: 10    (6) |   7   8  13  12   9  12  11  13   8
                Then you start to have a pretty good dropoff. So, it is reasonable to say that BC is probably one of the top 5 teams in the nation in secondary scoring.
                Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 02-14-2014, 03:39 PM.
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I think the team is significantly softer as a lineup like we saw the last few weeks with Linell back on D in place of McCoshen. The lineup BC put out vs. Maine and BU at Conte, and a few other contiguous games in that area of the season, is significantly tougher. You get Straight out of the lineup, and he is pretty darn soft. You add McCoshen on D, and he is quite nasty, almost to the level of Santini. Linell replacing Straight up front is about a wash in terms of softness but at least you're adding speed up front. Plus McCoshen is a good offensive player back on D. That set up a 9-14-11 line that was pretty good in terms of banging people to death too. And obviously Doherty going into the lineup and having 6 actual defensemen in there.... crazy I know. But obviously that is a huge improvement over Linell from the early season Linell on D lineup.

Bottom line, with the ideal configuration in full health and York having all his marbles and eyesight together, BC has a great combination of offense, defense, speed, and toughness.

Gotta be honest though, with Demko back there it just might not matter as BC is tough to beat with him in the zone.
                  Originally posted by reBlur
                  the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by BChockeyJunkie View Post
                    Originally Posted by BChockeyJunkie
                    p.s ill try to find the interview where york clearly stated that he split G_A_H line to better suit the freshman and other line..... you don't think he ever thought ...."wow, i under what will happen when i put my best 3 forwards together for the first line..... maybe gaudreau with a freshman with develop into the best line in college hockey".... do you know hockey?

this isnt the exact article, but it sums up the answer by york. Trying his hardest to split the 3 to better adjust the freshman.
                    JG-Arnold-Hayes were never a regular line until after the Holy Cross game (or technically, in the 3rd period of the HC game).
                    Here's the schedules and box scores since Johnny's freshman season... show us where JG-Arnold-Hayes were together as linemates prior to Decemeber 6, 2014.
                    Johnny's frosh year
                    Johnny's soph year
                    Johnny's current season

We know Jerry's tendencies as a coach. We know how he tinkers with lines to get the right combo's. We've been watching him coach for twenty years. He usually isn't done with line tinkering until the Beanpot or just after. He still may tweak it a bit, maybe even through the Hockey East playoffs, but I doubt he's going to mess with JG-Arnold Hayes.

Here's my hope... he puts Silk back with Gilmour-Calnan. With McCoshen returning, I'm guessing he will. Also, get Linell out on the ice with Straight being the odd man out.
                    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                      The "lack of secondary scoring" thing is a myth. Just because out first line makes everyone go GAH! doesn't mean we don't have secondary scoring.

These are the top 10 teams in scoring:

1) BC
                      2) Quinnipiac
                      3) St. Cloud
                      4) Union
                      5) Ohio State
                      6) St. Lawrence
                      7) Minnesota
                      8) Ferris State
                      9) Mercyhurst
                      10) Nebraska-Omaha

Below is team scoring broken out by their top 3 scorers vs. everyone else. This does include defensemen, but defensemen are still secondary scorers.

Code:
                      Team:               BC (Rank) |  QU  SC  UC  OS  SL  UM  FS  MC  NO

Top 3 Goal Scorers: 57  (duh) |  44  41  34  35  43  31  34  40  44
                      4-12 Goal Scorers:  53    (5) |  59  44  55  48  49  55  49  56  37

4-6 Goal Scorers:   26    (2) |  34  23  24  21  24  25  21  26  17
                      7-9 Goal Scorers:   17    (3) |  18  13  18  15  16  18  17  17  12
                      10-12 Goal Scorers: 10    (6) |   7   8  13  12   9  12  11  13   8
                      Then you start to have a pretty good dropoff. So, it is reasonable to say that BC is probably one of the top 5 teams in the nation in secondary scoring.
                      To clarify, I wasn't commenting on other teams, but more what we're used to seeing from a BC team. I don't feel the secondary scoring is as strong on this BC team compared to others. Now, that really might not mean anything at all in the grand scheme of things. We'll see. I do think there's a difference when you just look at a team's top three scorers and not whether all three of those guys play on the same line. You can see a more even distribution with say the top four scorers spread across two lines.

Somebody said it earlier in the thread though, it is what it is. They have been winning with this one super line and by keeping the puck out of their own net. Getting McCoshen back and with the way Demko is playing may turn out to be bigger factors than developing a true 2nd scoring line.

Comment

With the way Patrick Brown has stepped up his play of late, I think there is reason for optimism that the Brown-Cangelosi-Fitzgerald line could be a source of secondary scoring down the stretch. With the uber-dominance of the first line, Demko stepping up in net, and a solid D-corp, if they are able to add another ingredient, this team could be a freight train.
                        The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                        BC - 12
                        BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
                          With the way Patrick Brown has stepped up his play of late, I think there is reason for optimism that the Brown-Cangelosi-Fitzgerald line could be a source of secondary scoring down the stretch. With the uber-dominance of the first line, Demko stepping up in net, and a solid D-corp, if they are able to add another ingredient, this team could be a freight train.
                          Demko playing well he is the difference....God awful refs... pretty even game overall.

Comment

yep sounds like another gong show from the officials...6 penalties on bc thru 2

Comment

If they continue their quality of play, as long as the 3rd n 4th line keep the +/- close to Even and eliminate some of the penalties. BC should be hard to beat.

Comment

certainly a good night for that 2nd line tonight

Comment

Working...
                                X