Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC Hockey '13-'14: The Quest To Make Holy Cross Transitive Property National Champs

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BC Hockey '13-'14: The Quest To Make Holy Cross Transitive Property National Cham

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Highlights from last night are up on hockeyeastonline. It's nice that little Merrimack posts clips from their games and big BC can't be bothered to do so the same like they used to last season and prior. Did anyone mention this at the town hall meeting with Master Bates? Instead we have our own fans making the highlights for us and posting to a blog. Seriously w t f Bradster?
    what in the hell happened on the first BC goal? i've watched it ten times and am still having trouble figuring out how that puck went in. nice play by savage on the 3rd goal.

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
    Last 5 games, the powerplay is operating at 35% & the PK at 92%, not bad.
    paging hoky...ya but all five of those games were against depleted BU (oh wait, they weren't?)...time for another reason...

the fact of the matter is they have been dominant in the PP breakout, gaining the zone and keeping the puck in the zone. great movement and results are finally showing. they've moved all the way up to 18th nationally. Last time i looked they were close to 50th. a common play has been matheson initially carry up the ice and then drop it back to gaudreau who skates it in over the offensive blue line. PK is now #1 nationally. this is a much different team than last year. at the end of last year, some people wanted to see mullane, gaudreau, whitney. as good as they were together, they simply can't compare to this current top line.

Comment

• Re: BC Hockey '13-'14: The Quest To Make Holy Cross Transitive Property National Cham

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      what in the hell happened on the first BC goal? i've watched it ten times and am still having trouble figuring out how that puck went in. nice play by savage on the 3rd goal.
      Yes that play by Savage... wow risky but got it done.

On that first goal, someone for Merrimack came by and kicked it into his own net way after the shot... one of the more odd own goals you'll ever seen since it was sitting there for a while and then he kicked it slowly past his own goalie. Everyone for BC had cleared out and Merrimack pretty much had an easy rebound to bring behind the net for the breakout.

hokydad may be out for a while. He had a rough weekend after proclaiming BC was a soft, one-line team that didn't compare to the likes of Ferris State (swept by Mankato last weekend) prior to the weekend's tilts.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
        Yeah what happened there?

Keep on keeping on, teams are about to be eliminated from HE RS title, which is absolutely absurd to be happening a week & a half before the beanpot. A L or T from UMass will eliminate them, a L from BU will eliminate them.
        Sounds about right. I'm not great at this stuff but from what I can tell... BC has 23 points and the most UMA can get to is 24, and BC holds the tiebreaker so their magic number is 1 to eliminate UMA. BC also holds the tiebreaker on BU (most points possible = 25) so the magic number to eliminate BU is 2. Merrihack is also close but without the H2H sewn up yet completely, it's a little more complicated and they have some games in hand so although they are in last place, they are 3rd in the elimination order as of right now. They could get up to 26 points and even 12 wins (the 2nd tiebreaker... a hypothetical table run would include a win vs BC and thus a 1-1 H2H record and move to wins in conference as the next tiebreaker), 1 more than BC currently has. So I'd say without thinking too hard that the magic number to eliminate Merrihack is 4.

On the flip side, UML is the team in the best shape, their most possible points is 33 and the magic number to eliminate them is 11 to put them completely out of reach with no H2H games played yet.

It is really insane to look at this stuff considering we aren't even into February yet.
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          It is really insane to look at this stuff considering we aren't even into February yet.
          Welcome to the 20-game Hockey East schedule.

The shorter and more disjointed league schedule has made the league race a lot less fun. Also, the fact that there's no playoff race at the bottom of the table since everyone gets a playoff participation ribbon this year. That race for 8th was usually fun to follow.
          BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
          -
          Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by joegrav View Post
            Welcome to the 20-game Hockey East schedule.

The shorter and more disjointed league schedule has made the league race a lot less fun. Also, the fact that there's no playoff race at the bottom of the table since everyone gets a playoff participation ribbon this year. That race for 8th was usually fun to follow.
            to be fair, how often is the first place team 11-1-1 in their first 13 conference games? i think that's an outlier. at the very least, the battle for the byes should come down to the end as well as the battle for home ice in at least the 8/9 first round series. the post beanpot stretch run across the league should still be pretty good. i do agree (as i think most hockey east fans do) that everyone making the playoffs is a joke. it was something unique to hockey east that not every team made it. not anymore.

Comment

a PC-UML split would be what the doctor ordered this wekend but i have a hard time rooting for UML when they play PC, just sayin

Comment

to be fair, how often is the first place team 11-1-1 in their first 13 conference games? i think that's an outlier. at the very least, the battle for the byes should come down to the end as well as the battle for home ice in at least the 8/9 first round series. the post beanpot stretch run across the league should still be pretty good. i do agree (as i think most hockey east fans do) that everyone making the playoffs is a joke. it was something unique to hockey east that not every team made it. not anymore.
                Except the battle for the byes is not really exciting. first of all there's 5 of them. Secondly, by getting a bye, you earn the right to... sit around and get rusty for a weekend instead of getting to tee off for two games on a UMass or a Merrimack. (And the team that's 6th place in Hockey East could very well use those extra wins if we're talking PWR bubble.)

And I'm not particularly compelled by who gets home ice in the Vermont vs BU series this year to see who gets to go get pasted by Providence. The home ice battle for teams 3, 4, 5, 6 was pretty intense. You're talking about good teams battling to give themselves home ice for the chance to get to the Garden.

IDK, I just really, really liked the old format. I know people are generally just resistant to change, so maybe that's my issue... but it feels like the whole regular season race is a lot less enjoyable.
                -

Comment

• Originally posted by joegrav View Post
                  Except the battle for the byes is not really exciting. first of all there's 5 of them. Secondly, by getting a bye, you earn the right to... sit around and get rusty for a weekend instead of getting to tee off for two games on a UMass or a Merrimack. (And the team that's 6th place in Hockey East could very well use those extra wins if we're talking PWR bubble.)

And I'm not particularly compelled by who gets home ice in the Vermont vs BU series this year to see who gets to go get pasted by Providence. The home ice battle for teams 3, 4, 5, 6 was pretty intense. You're talking about good teams battling to give themselves home ice for the chance to get to the Garden.

IDK, I just really, really liked the old format. I know people are generally just resistant to change, so maybe that's my issue... but it feels like the whole regular season race is a lot less enjoyable.
                  I'd like to see the first round games be midweek before the quarters and not have a week off for the top four teams. I would make them one game instead if best of three too. It would give the top four teams an advantage and create a lot more excitement.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

joe, sure, you're not gonna be excited about those scenarios and i probably won't care much either, but i think fans of other teams will care. maybe not, guess we'll see.

Comment

by the way, 6th place team in hockey east will have a chance at those wins provided they don't gag against team #11.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                        If you slept through the past 3 years and woke up today you'd see merrihack in the cellar and piling up PIMS and wouldn't think twice about it.
                        Actually, I think they've cut down on the PM's (relatively speaking). BC currently averages MORE penalty minutes per game. As for the cellar, yup, back to reality and it sucks.
                        Last edited by RENCEB; 01-22-2014, 01:50 PM.
                        Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by joegrav View Post
                          They ruined a good thing with the NCAA tourney too...the 12-team, 2 super regional with 6 teams each in the NCAAs format was sick.

Comment

by the way, 6th place team in hockey east will have a chance at those wins provided they don't gag against team #11.
                            I guess. But if I'm 16th in the pairwise, I'd rather play 2-3 extra games against UMass than sit around for a week and wait for a series against #6. Those couple extra wins could put you over the top.

They ruined a good thing with the NCAA tourney too...the 12-team, 2 super regional with 6 teams each in the NCAAs format was sick.
                            And we used to walk uphill, both ways, in the snow to get there! and we liked it!

I agree though, that's a great format and going to 16 has created the attendance problems we see today .
                            -

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                              I'm not the one who is so uptight he feels the need to comment on everything I post.
                              Cool story, Bro.
                              Originally posted by mookie1995
                              bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                              Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                              Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

problem is, they have to be making more money off the current format than they did under the old format, right? i mean, otherwise they would ditch it. the decision makers don't seem to care about the atmosphere.

Comment

Working...
                                X